1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dinosaurs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ppreston9, Jan 21, 2008.

1. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

Does anyone here not believe in dinosaurs?

a couple of my friends say that they don't believe in dinosaurs because "if u believe in the theory of god then dinosaurs are impossible". we was pretty much pullin shit out of his ass to try and convince me.
    This topic just blew me off my rocker.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You have GOT to be kidding me! The proof is in many museums all over the world!!!

3. Ty

Ty Guest

LMAO

Ignorance ftw?

4. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

It really does surprise me.. Why is there still people believing in Christianity/Catholicism when proofs of Dinosaurs pretty much blew everything the Bible says?

Didn't the Bible say that God created the world in seven days, with different species in the first 6 days (humans in the sixth day), and then God rested on the seventh day?

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That's exactly what I was going to say. :thumbsup:

6. chobbs

Out Status:
    Some people
    whoa, whoa. Just because someone is a Christian doesn't mean that they don't believe in evolution. But yes, there are a lot of backwoods home schooled people who sincerely believe that Earth is merely thousands of years old.

yikes, huh

7. Alexander

HEY! I'm homeschooled! hmpf.

I personally don't know how you can believe that crap, that the world is only 6000 years old. What I always wonder, is since they've been claiming that for like 800 years, where did the rest of the years at the end of that time go? Is time disappearing?

I'm going to take the big bang and evolution from a strictly Judeo-Christian viewpoint and explain why they are so viable. I'm not taking any sides here, just explaining why someone would believe in them.

We know that the universe just popped into existence from an unknown cause. Scientists have speculated, but we really can't know anything before the universe, because we are quad-dimensional beings (Width, height, depth, time). Before the Big Bang, there were no dimensions, therefore the pre-history of the universe is unexplainable since we can only know what we can sense. Jews and Christians (and all other deistic religions) assume this unknown cause of the Big Bang was/is God.

The creation story in the Bible was written as poetry, so that it could be retold and remembered. Times are not to be taken literally, especially since God is a timeless being, living in a constant now when all time occurs simultaneously. A day for God could be an instant for us, or it could be an eon.
    We also have proof (accepted by leading evolutionists AND creationists) that animals and plants appeared in stages that are identical in order to the Bible (with some overlap of course).

hope this clears up a bit of your speculation -> got any questions, I'm around.

8. chobbs

Out Status:
    Some people
    hah, sorry to lump the good in with the bad there, applovr. at 15 years old, you seem to have quite an education. the ability to look at a creation myth and cosmology at the same time, and tie them together is a gift.

don't take anything as truth until you are most certainly convinced!

9. Alexander

I wasn't mad, just messing around :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks for the compliments tho :slight_smile:

10. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

I will only comment that being educated does not mean someone can't be stupid. With some of the held beliefs of zealots, suspending logical thought and process is not only done but it is demanded. Oh well, to each his own.

11. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

yeah he said he just didn't believe it because he didnt believe in evolution and that he believed in the theory of god. so i really dont know. another kid said he didnt believe it because he didnt think a whole species could get wiped out so fast, which i think is total ignorance

12. wickedboi

my friend doesnt believe they exsited either. He said that the bones in the museums of Dinosours are merly plastic...and according to him thats why they keep us so far away from them so we cant touch them and see "the awful lies"
    he is loony toon. I just ignore him...but every so often I just "accidently" trip him lol

13. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

yeah thats what my friends logic is too. he is my best mate so i dont trip him lol. but i do put him on the spot of the subject sometimes

14. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Apparently God made up an elaborate scheme to "test our faith".

..Or so they say. :grin:

15. Jeimuzu

Yes, apparently fossils are a big practical joke, and we know the earth is really only around 4500-5000 years old. We know this because a bishop tallied the ages of people in the bible back to Adam and Eve.

*sigh*

Religion, and my issue with it, can be tallied up in pretty much one line; Don't believe everything you read.

16. Bader

Bader Guest

if religons were so rigth then why do people follow them always do wrong stuff ? like invading other countries and fight over power , those religons are just a big hoax to me.
    no offence intended.

#16 Bader, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2008
  17. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Its not the religion itself, its humans that make stupid mistakes.

18. JSG

JSG Guest

:eek: Bunch of meanies !
    Putting plastic bones in museums and inventing Dinosaurs so that we lose all faith in God and burn in Hell...

19. Alexander

AMEN!

I mean that in a completely non-religious way :grin:

But seriously. That's completely the truth, completely why there's discrimination. Not because the basic values of Judeo-Christianity are skewed, but because people overstep their power within these organizations. That's part of the reason I'm still Catholic.

And what? I never said I didn't believe in evolution?!?!?! I'm one of the biggest supporters of it that I know!

#19 Alexander, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  20. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I recently watched a Nova 2-part special (an excellent show) called "Intelligent Design on Trial" and possibly the most disturbing thing in the whole video is that creationism was only barred from being taught in schools in the US in the LATE EIGHTIES. And people my parents' age and older were not taught evolution here in Canada. So if you think of it THAT way, it's not that surprising that there are people who don't believe in evolution.

Often huge paradigm shifts take a while to settle in. Think about how much resistance there was to the idea the world was round... something which seems nonsensical to question, let alone dismiss, these days.