1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life in the military

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IllusiveRannoch, Jul 30, 2012.

1. IllusiveRannoch

^. wondering if there's anyone on here that knows what US military life is like ever since DADT was repealed. i've been watching some vids on youtube about gay soldiers coming out and being able to serve openly, and it seems pretty inspiring. is it the same as it was before in spite of the more accepting attitude, or is it somehow different?

2. Bradley

You should check out Areyousurprised on Youtube, he is the soldier who had the viral coming out video and in many of his videos he talks about his experiences in the military as a gay man.

I am in the Canadian military, and serving openly is a total non-issue, I guess partly because we have been allowed to serve openly for over 20 years now. I just recently came out to my family, and work is next! I know for a fact that none of my co-workers will have an issue with it, I'm just taking it slow.

3. zeratul

zeratul Guest

I guess it depends on which platoon or unit you serve in. Now that DADT is no longer a policy doesn't mean you will not suffer discrimination within your unit. I mean, some soldiers are still getting hazed because of their race, and you thought the racial issues were settled in terms of policy in the civil rights movement. I believe the trial is going on right now for the soldiers involved in the hazing death of that Chinese-American soldier who committed suicide.

4. IllusiveRannoch

hey there Bradley. AreYouSuprised is one of the guys i saw along with a few others. i'm currently putting some thought into joining, but i'm fascinated by science and other things too. i want to do so much with life, not just subscribe to one thing. but i feel like i have to ask, what convinced you to join Canada's armed services? i know it seems like a vague question, but it seems like it might be something good to do. perhaps use it as a means to help people somehow.

5. Bradley

I always loved flying, so I kind of had it in the back of my mind for years, then finally decided one day to just go and apply as a pilot. I guess I joined for the normal reasons, to serve my country, to travel the world, to become part of an organization that helps people. I have had a lot of cool opportunities so far, everything from search and rescue to humanitarian missions, even flying into combat zones, so I definitely don't regret my choice. I don't think I will do this for my entire career, but for now I'm enjoying it.

I don't let my sexuality determine the course of my life, I mean I never don't do something because I'm gay.