1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Architectural Wet Dream :)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kovax14, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

I am a huge architecture buff, I am thinking about pursuing it as a career but I am really unsure at this point. I am doing an internship with an architect in NYC this spring so I'll see then if I really am interested. ANYWHO. The Burj Dubai in Dubai, UAE just recently surpassed the Taipei 101 as the tallest building in the world, although it still has to undergo significant construction. Heres a link to the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Dubai

I am going to Dubai with my dad next year hopefully because he has a conference at the Burj Al Arab hotel (another one of my architectural dreams). I am ridiculously excited to visit this new skyscraper as it is projected to be completed by the time i get out there! this building, seriously, is the coolest thing ever

#1 Kovax14, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2008
  2. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

1: Burj Dubai
    2: Burj Al Arab Hotel

That little circular platform at the top of the hotel is a tennis court btw

Attached Files:

3. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

tennis court

Attached Files:

4. Alexander

My aunt's sister actually lives there (in the hotel most of the time - they're UBER wealthy)

They've been there since the beginning of the construction spree. The UAE is actually building islands in the shape of palm trees and now the world:

[​IMG]The World Islands
    [​IMG]
    Palm Island

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    So cool! Kovax you'll have to post lots of pictures of your trip!

6. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

I'd be so scared of playing tennis in that place O_O

7. pyroboy74

yeah i'd be afraid to fall off

8. kevinx519

thatd be a long drop for the ball...and the person trying to get it. but these buildings are seriously sweet. i saw the Burj Al Arab Hotel on the travel channel. its just as nice inside as it is on the outside.

9. TyraBanksIsFierce

Isn't being gay in that city/country illegal?:confused:

10. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

it is, so that is my biggest reservation about going there, but its not like i have to come out to people while im there or anything. i was messaging a new member named heatqueen earlier today because she lives there so maybe she could offer some insight about that.

anyway heres a closeup of the tennis court....SO COOL

Attached Files:

11. TyraBanksIsFierce

12. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

yeah clearly they dont have a high opinion of our kind.... : "Whoever commits rape on a female or sodomy with a male shall be punished by death."

ugh

I remember back in november there was a situation where a teenage male french tourist was in Dubai and was raped by several arabian men, and the UAE government wanted to sentence the french teenager to jail time. they claimed that there was no such thing as the rape of a man and therefore the teenager had to have been complicit in the sexual acts

article: http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3932740&page=1

#12 Kovax14, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2008
  13. Ty

Ty Guest

well as they get more and more... touristy... I think there gonna HAVE to change their laws =/ it can't remain like that.

14. Levi

Levi Guest

Well, clearly the same thing. :bang:
    He had it coming :bang:

15. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

how do you figure that? you cant seriously be intimating that the fact that he made a mistake and accepted a ride from a stranger means that he deserved to be raped by several men, one of whom was HIV+

16. Levi

Levi Guest

Maybe you're leveling me here. But I WAS BEING SARCASTIC!!

17. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

haha ok good i wasnt sure, i was gonna say......

18. panda

These guys have sooo much money.Are they the same country that has an indoor ski hill and ice skating.? All these new buildings are air-conditioned.Most of the labour is from other poorer countries.It's all very amazing and mind boggling.They are probably the leader in mind -blowing architecture,while the USA is going bankrupt.

19. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

yes all those things are in the same CITY, let alone the same country. these people are LOADED. I have a family friend who is a real estate agent in dubai, and she just sold a luxury apartment for $13 million! think about the commission on that deal! seriously, its insane. construction workers are working literally 24 hours a day, it never stops, which is why they are experiencing such incredible architectural development