1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The British

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bobbgooduk, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey!

The BBC has a page in its magazine today (see link) which is all about what people think is "typically British":

BBC News - London 2012: 12 more British quirks in 212 words for 2012 visitors

There are so many stereotypes already but, as a British emigré, I found it quite sweet to see what was still considered to be typically British. Some of them I relate to completely, like the tea and the greetings cards, others I don't really think are necessarily applicable to the UK, like saying sorry or garden types.

I wonder what other people think? Are there still things which you think are typical in your country and would say, "That's typically American" or "That's typically Australian"?

I recently has a conversation with Aniot who is from Portugal and we concluded that the Portuguese have no stereotypes for the British and the British have none for the Portuguese either.

2. JudasKissedHIM

Well I have this stereotype that poms are whiners? I know they're also commonly referred to in Australia as whinging poms

3. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's so true! It's one of the reasons I left the UK - I was just sick of people talking themselves down and into a hole.

The British used to be so optimistic - they seem to have lost their mojo!

4. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I apologise all the time. About EVERYTHING. Sorry is probably one of the words I use the most. People tell me to stop doing it and I say sorry...

5. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How can they say white vans are typical of British? Here in Africa almost 70% of all vehicles are white. White is the cheapest colour when you buy a vehicle.

Tea? well I only drink tea, water and milk, no coffee, no cool drink no nothing else. You'd probably find more different kinds of teas in our kitchen than you can find in a shop.

Garden type, I love forest gardens with a little river or waterfall. The sound of that calms you down. better than a prozac pill that doctors love to give out like smarties. (hehehehe. i see this advert, a guy holding his hands out full of different coloured prozac pills saying: What allot I got)

Saying sorry, well that's me too, I love to apologise, I don't just say it, but when I do, I do it with meaning. I think to truly apologise when you do make a mistakes makes you more human than those who would fight you to the death rather than to admit they made a mistake.

Cricket on the other hand is very huge in southern Africa, second to Rugby and Soccer.

6. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, baby, yeah!

7. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose white is quite a refelctive colour in a sunny country. I used to have a dark blue car and it was unbearable in the heat - no airco in those days!

Do you think that the tea is also a throw-back to colonial days?

My Dutch colleagues are mystified when I put milk in my tea - they call it "babythee" but I don't think they realize how strong the British make their tea!

I never drink coffee either - it's either tea or water, even if I'm out in a café or something.

There are cricket clubs here in the Netherlands and it seems to be growing in popularity, as is rugby. I have a former student here who plays for the Dutch National Youth team.

The White Van Man is a sort of reference to a modern-day caveman - is there an equivalent in RSA?

My partner has family (aunt, uncle, cousins) in Johannesburg.

---------- Post added 3rd Aug 2012 at 01:30 PM ----------

Hehe Evacution com........com.......com.....compl.......compl........completed.....!:grin:

8. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I go over to Italy to visit my auntie and bring tea with me, she dabs the tea bag in hot water for literally 5 seconds and then shes finished with it. :eusa_doh:

---------- Post added 3rd Aug 2012 at 12:32 PM ----------

What about the sharks with frikkin lazer beams on their heads?!?!?!? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#8 Robert, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  9. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think here in Namibia, that's what mosquito's have, cause once the sun is down, you can literally hear them, and they don't miss a single spot on your body, it feels like you are being targeted by some mosquito who wants to take over the world by draining blood from every living thing in sight!

10. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha don't get me started - I love it when Minime uses his penis as the third leg of a stool!! And the Fembots!!!!

11. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh and the space ship that's in a shape of a .... Dong.... Dick... penis... lolz

12. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Arlotta Fagina - priceless!

13. SunSparks

A lot of Americans think British people have bad teeth...just like that first picture in the article... coincidence?

14. Lewis

It's not really coincidence, no. You only have to watch talk shows here to see that a lot of us do indeed have nasty teeth. But it's not all of us, I certainly don't! The problem here is, we have a lack of fluoridated water and people who don't regularly visit the dentist. The tea and excessive amount of smoking may also be a factor too.

I was tempted to take offence to it, but then sat back and thought, nah it's true.

I do love Britain though, I have no idea why. :eusa_doh:

15. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes - teeth are a transoceanic issue - but I wouldn't like the ultra-white look either - who wants teeth that look like pieces of toilet porcelain?

Natural (but not discoloured) is best IMHO.

I find it really unnerving when you see a film with a guy who's supposed to be from the wrong side of the tracks etc and the actor keeps flashing 30,000 dollar teeth at us!

16. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can say that again, specially a guy who is playing a homeless character that has perfect white teeth, like he has money to burn on his teeth but nothing else. makes the movie very UNbelievable.

Also I have seen allot of people that isn't in the UK or even near the EU with far worse teeth than the brittish. Just watch jerry springer and you'll know what I am talking about.

17. Neutrality

I'm an American from our southern states so there are a ton of sterotypes about me, some true like Sweet ice tea and using the word Y'all...some are not, especially the ones about our IQ's mine happens to be 139 so I'm not stupid. =P...also this has nothing to do with the thread but, I have a huge thing for british guys and I have no idea why....I love them =O

18. SunSparks

Lol, sorry, I really didn't mean to offend anyone. I personally didn't believe it, I was just stating something I notice a lot of people saying...lol, when I think British guy, this is what comes to mind, including the apparel...

Oh, and btw, if your wondering, yes, us Californians love to say the word "like" but if your a californian, you don't notice it, its everyday colloquial language.

19. GayJay

Ohhh you went there now your getting my complete low down on this,

Avoiding terms of address- Wow i didn't realize but this is so true. Think the only terms of address i EVER use is Girl or Lad and that i think is purely a Liverpool thing and not British.

Tea- Defiantly, i wouldn't drink anything else in the morning. And it cures hangovers.

Saying sorry- Deffo. Sorry also translates for Move out the way, I'm trying to get past you. Yeah i did just bunk the queue but i said sorry so it doesn't matter. Oww my foot. I always say sorry, even when it was the other person that walked into me.

Cricket- Yup. Everyone plays cricket on a family day out when your a kid.

Two fingered salute- Of course, peace out hommies.

Love/hate relationship- Hell yeah. I don't like Britain but if a foreigner doesn't like it! How dare they! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

White van man- Don't care, that's British just cause we all go 'where there's a white van, there's a maaannn!' when we see one.

But as for,
    Garden types- I don't even have a garden! I live in a city for fuck sake we have yards here. (that is a yard in length of concrete when you walk out your back door for anyone who doesn't know.) And the front door leads straight onto a busy walkway and road.

Sporting hope- I don't think being optimistic has anything to do with it. Alcohol does!

Greetings cards- Nahh, Christmas cards even went out the window about 10 years ago too where i live.

Anoraks- Yeah we all wore of them, but not since the 90's.

(as for the teeth comment, that's funny because it's sop embarrassingly true. I think its not gonna be much of a thing with the younger generation any more as smoking laws/restrictions have been introduced and dentists and getting braces are so much more popular.)

20. FJ Cruiser

I would associate saying sorry as being a Canadian thing. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Honestly though, I don't think I associate anything overtly negative with the British, though I suppose their history carries more baggage than most countries'.

As for America, I think this is a decent demonstration:
    More American

We're somewhat aware of our ridiculousness, and the fact that it's talked about in a fast food commercial is that much better.