1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Application Essays

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rx79g, Aug 3, 2012.

1. rx79g

So I'm really stumped on my college application essays, but one of the options is along the lines of "Write about an issue: internal, local, national, international, that is important to you and why you feel the way you do". I'm thinking about writing about gay rights/marriage but I was wondering if anyone could chime in, do colleges like that? Homosexuality is such divisive issue in the U.S. that writing about it, even without explicitly stating I'm gay, might send up a red flag. On the other hand it might make them think "ooh forward thinking/he's gay and therefore a minority, win-win". Please drop by your thoughts on the matter. Danka shun. (that wasn't spelled right at all was it?)

2. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

I wouldn't do this, not because it's a divisive issue, but because it is
    1) Most likely written about a lot for this topic, the college readers will have read this topic many times already.
    2) What are you going to say that they haven't heard before? If you search "Marriage equality argument" on google you can find almost every possible response.
    3) Being "forward thinking" isn't a minority in college students, more like a majority. Also, there are plenty of gay students, that won't make you a minority either. Also very few colleges have a quota for the number of gay students they need.

I would keep thinking about it. I had the same problem as you, I was stumped for the longest time, but after enough thought I finally thought of something more original.

3. rx79g

Those are good points. You're right, I'll keep working on it. You don't have any tips on how you wrote your essay do you? Anything you did that helped you come up with ideas or remember pertinent experiences?

4. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I agree with runallday4, though if you have a way to make the issue personal (beyond simply being gay and so probably being affected by it someday) you could still make a good essay out of it.

My own experience went something like this:

Most of my essays were conventional. My English teacher read one of them and loved it. While all of them were good enough to get me accepted to the large, high-ranked state schools I applied to, the only one I can remember hearing back from before withdrawing my application didn't give me the scholarship I applied for.

Then there was one, less conventional essay which probably made me sound like the disgruntled nerd that I was. My English teacher hated it, probably because at one point I complained about my high school. It was only submitted to one school as a result.

Turns out it might have been a good idea to send the latter essay to all of the schools! The school that go it not only accepted me, but also gave me a ridiculous number of scholarships -- my undergraduate degree is completely paid for by them. The only other thing that school had that the others didn't was a truly horrific phone interview.

Moral of the story? Who knows what the schools are looking for. Use good spelling and grammar in your essay, and be yourself. From my understanding it is rarely a deciding factor, but when it is, that's about all you can do.

One thing that does help is picking a central scene or event to base the rest of the essay off of rather than trying to tie in a bunch of different memories. For my nerdy essay, I chose a science camp I attended the previous summer. It allowed me to discuss both my love of science and my desire to explore the world beyond the tiny, mind-numbingly dull place I grew up in.

#4 Tetraquark, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2012
  5. Pain

Pain Guest

In your list, you said that the issue of topic could be internal. A lot of people might write about something similar, as above posters said, but it's your essay, and your story; you could write about what you went through, and even if you're still unsure, use that as a focal point. Fears, reactions of those to whom you've come out, expectations, dispelling/affirming stereotypes, et cetera. It's yours, so make it yours.
    Write passionately :slight_smile:

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Apply to the University of Victoria. Fill out an online form and just get in. Also, they have sexual minority box, so you can totally check that box.

7. FJ Cruiser

The deal with college essays is that the topic is rather peripheral. The whole idea behind the essay portion of applications is that they want to get to know you, and they want to see how well you can synthesize ideas with a given format. It's not necessarily about what you say. It's how you say it. Don't worry about what they will think. Don't cater to the admissions officers. Besides, you probably don't want to attend a school that would reject you because you didn't say what they wanted to hear anyway.

My personal piece of advice: write an essay without a topic. Write about whatever you want to. Make it unique. Make it personal. Make it passionate. Make sure it's something that gives you a voice. 90% of the time it's going to be able to fit almost ANY topic with only minor adjustments and an added conclusion that ties it back to the prompt. I stress the unique part because let's face it, unless you have a Pulitzer Prize winning masterpiece, talking about your mother's hardships growing up or your love of music isn't going to stand out at all. I know it sounds insensitive, but that's the reality when you're competing against others.

The university I'm currently attending had the same essay topic when I applied. The essay I wrote for it was written over a year previous as part of a speech competition. The essay was about the first time I attended a bull fight. It might not seem like it could be related to the prompt, in the last paragraph where I related it to an issue by saying something along the lines of how cultural understanding is important in today's global economy or some junk like that. The topic didn't matter so much. It was how I conveyed myself by talking about profound moment in my life.

I made that same essay fit two or three other topics, and I feel like my essay made a large difference when getting into certain brand name schools, as well as scholarship money.

#7 FJ Cruiser, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should write about men's relationship to feminism or chivalry for the 21st century.

9. Emberstone

depends on the college. I did not have to write a formal, formated essay for my application to Oregon State, but they did ask me what qualities I have that would make me a valued member of the Oregon State campus, and I listed and explained both my facing and overcoming of learning disabilities to show I am a hard worker, and that as a gay student, and one who searved at my prior college in the role of a LGBT group student president, I would be an asset for facilitating discussions and diversity on campus as an ambassador for LGBT and overall diversity awareness.

If your college has a non-discrimination policy, you should not be worried about talking openly about LGBT issues in your essay...

... but if it is a billy grahmn/jerry falwell shit-on-the-bible-and-blame-women-who-wear-pants-and-brown-people college, I would first say, dont put it in your essay... and secondly, find a healthy college to attend.

10. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with FJCruiser - on the whole, colleges are looking to see if you can reason, be critical but balanced, express yourself well and, of course, your choice of subject gives them a little preliminary insight into your character. If you can choose a topic which shows you are able to think a little bit outside the box, you will make an impression. If it is something you are passionate about, passion is great provided you can also recognize the other side of the argument.

Above all, try to avoid being formulaic - don't trot out the same old shit they'll have read hundreds of times before.

11. rx79g

Thanks, I ended up writing about something that happened when I was volunteering at a hospital an I think it's really good. Definetly unusual (I talked abou how I screwed up and use that as a reminder to myself) but I think it sound genuine and not stereotypical. And that's awesome that they payed your undergrad Tetraguark. I'm hoping to get something along those lines cuz I'll have enough debt just from medical school.

12. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I bet it feels good to have that out of the way! :thumbsup:

13. SunSparks

...wow, you already got your essay topic? None of the college I applied to released it so early except UChicago... anyways, your topic listed just above this is good for this sort of thing. For me, having applied to college this past year and going through the entire process... unique is key. But also, one that shows you of what you are capable of. Show them how great you are through the topics, how you deal with problems, what type of person you are (some colleges prefer certain types like MIT prefers witty people and Stanford geeky guys and preppy girls). A lot of scholarships have a heavy focus on college app essays. I know that was at least true for my experience... Obviously, stay away from information that is already given in another part of the app like your grades... but do extend your leadership activities - they will snatch you up; leadership is how I got my scholarship.

BTW, on the note of scholarships, apply early and look for local scholarships because the pool is SO much smaller...

14. oblina

I applied to 7 schools and got into every one. The key is uniqueness. Also make sure it's personal but not too much so that it makes the reader uncomfortable. And grab their attention in the firet couple sentences! These readers read thousands of essays, make sure to make yours stand out early in the paper c: