1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you have Gender Identity Disorder as a Child?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by runallday4, Aug 3, 2012.

?

Did you have GID as a child?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Somewhat/ moderate amount

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  3. No

21 vote(s)
    42.0%
  1. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

Gender Identity Disorder is when one has behavior and interests that are more typical of the opposite sex. While it's not so much considered a "disorder" by doctors anymore, that's still what it's called. A lot of research has shown that children with severe GID often are gay.

Here's a youtube video if you're intersted: [YOUTUBE]d5vrNYA_nik[/YOUTUBE]

Personally, I think I definitely has some of this, although not as severe as the child in the video. When I was really young I used to always want a stuffed Unicorn or poodle, and for Halloween one year I wanted to be the pink dragon from dragon tales.

Now, I'm gay, although I consider myself to be androgynous, not feminine.

Did you have any GID?

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a form of what I now realize was Gender Identity Disorder as a child. I always thought of myself as a girl, played the role of girls, generally did girly things, etc. For the longest time I even decided I would somehow become a girl when I grew up. I knew I was a boy, and I knew I'd become a man, but I saw myself as a girl in my head - not in the way that is typically associated with transgender people, because I was indifferent to being male on the outside.

Now I identify as male, because I have no qualms with being genetically and biologically male.

3. BudderMC

Not particularly. Not that I can remember anyway.

Gender nonconformity (I don't like the idea of GID, to be honest) is a really good indicator of being gay... in males. In females, not as much.

I also question some of what was said in that video for the sheer fact that she said "male brains are feminized", when all brains start off female, and male brains are supposed to be masculinized.

4. sanguine

I dunno tbh, if I had to be honest maybe I did? actually Id have to say I was when I look back at it now, its probably not something Id like to admit though

I would do everything boys were suppose to do though, my parents wouldnt want it any other way and my family is/was religious, my mum always said I was the sensitive one and thats why Im the favourite

But I never thought of it as me being female though, and I wouldnt say it was a gender identity thing either, I didnt want to play with dolls or stuffed animals or anything 'female', those things were boring, I liked to brake stuff and dig holes and climb trees and play sports with my brothers

The only real difference between me and them is that they were more likely to break the rules and ask for what they want and I was more passive, they are quite big extroverts too and Im somewhere inbetween.

So I voted somewhat/moderate amount because being feminine is a trait that was most predominant when I was much younger.

5. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

I agree with you on that, the only reason I worded it that way was because that's what it said in the video, and also I found a wikipedia link calling it that. It's probably incorrect though.
    Speaking about the video, there were some interesting points in it I thought, but I think it is a little politically incorrect, and the woman in the video didn't seem like the best choice for a segment on that. She just seemed a little too conservative for piece on that. For example, when she's talking to the little boy and his mother I got the feeling that she was disapproving. Oh well, parts I liked, others I didn't.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I voted somewhat because as a child I acted more masculine, but I was ok being female. I always played with the boys and wore mostly men's clothes.

7. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I never really thought much of my gender as a child. I was boyish to an extent. I liked the idea of going on an adventure and fighting evil, I didn't mind physical activities so long as they weren't sports. But I had very girlish desires, too. Oftentimes, I would see a toy marketed to girls, and I'd want it. But I thought it was wrong. I would want to play with girls, and I might see a girl and wish I could dress like that. I liked the idea of nail polish.

I never had to force myself to be a boy, but I did have to fight not to like girly things. So I guess there was definitely some GID as a child, but not as severe as others had. It wasn't until later (after puberty) that I started to resent my gender.

8. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I was fine with being a boy, growing up. Played with legos, played sports, video games, did typical nerdy male activities. I developed pretty strong dysphoria when I turned 12, which has remained ever since, only weakening somewhat after I had a long-term relationship with a girl and got much more comfortable being dominant, being the one doing the penetrating.

I would say that I'm probably genderqueer. I spent a lot of time weighing the options and I'm confident that I'm just best off keeping the body I have. I'm quite attractive, as a man. If I woke up female tomorrow, I'd be totally fine with it, but it's not something I'm going to actively pursue. I'm fine with being male for the rest of my life.

9. i always knew i liked girls and since birth (well from when i can remember) up till i was 17-18ish i was convinced i was a boy. i didnt tell anyone because i was embarrassed and didnt know anyone who back then had issues the same as mine. my parents always used to be like wear this dress and id be like no and literally cry because i didnt want to dress like a girl because in my mind i wasnt one.

i used to wish and wish and wish that i would wake up and be a boy, then i hit puberty and i developed quicker than the rest of my friends which i hated. i couldnt understand why i wasnt like the boys. i did everything boys did, played football wore boys clothes e.t.c. i didnt have many girls as friends and i was never a girly girl but my best friend (who is a girl) accepted me. she was the only person i was myself around.

i knew i was born female but i couldnt understand why i wasnt a boy because that was what i felt i was. i knew i was a girl but who was really a boy, i somehow went 'wrong' when i was born. i often thought (when i was younger) that my parents bought home the wrong baby.

when i was 16 i was seriously considering going to the doctors and asking for help. i didnt know what was wrong with me but i knew i couldnt live like i was, it was hard for me inside because it didnt match up on the outside. but then i knew that if i went to the drs my parents would question it. and i was convinced that when i 'grew up' i would be living as a man. i even went about researching sex changes and hormones and things. but then i knew that i had serious thinking because it was a life changing descision.

then i started to open up to my friends i trusted and they seemed fine with it. (thank god). i never told my parents any of this cuz i somehow think they wouldnt love me anymore.

when i was 14/15 i knew i was a lesbian but that was only because i was born a girl but i still didnt want to be.

i somehow overcome gradually when i was 18-ish it but im not sure how :s, probably just having to go through the process of accepting myself as i am because i knew i couldnt change myself no matter how much i wanted. but looking back it was my way of accepting myself, because if i was a boy it would be okay to like girls, not myself being a girl who like girls that wasnt okay in my mind.

but yet i could accept others sexuality, if they were gay e.t.c it was just in my head another rule for me but yet others were okay.

but now its a total different story haha!
    im the girlyest girl ever and love being a woman :s

10. secretguyX

When I was younger I used to act like a guy. I played with my brother's video games, transformers, and other stuff. I used to never play with the barbies or dolls that I had. I didn't dress very masculine, but not extremely feminine either. But I hated wearing dresses and skirts and anything really girly. At recess I always hung out with the guys (up to grade 3?). After that I did hang out with some girls at school, but I still preferred being with guys.

In grade 7 or so I started becoming really girly, I still play sports, but I dress feminine and act more feminine and everything.

11. Lewis

I definitely used to have girly tendencies - I owned a barbie! Rather than play football, I'd rather play moms and dads with the girls etc. I also used to prefer being friends with girls a lot. I liked to dress up and put on shows for people and stuff too. xD I always got nervous around guys and found it really hard to make friends with them.

That's all changed now though, I grew out of it pretty quick. I'm still not sporty, but I'm not girly at all. I find it pretty funny looking back on it, I was so flamboyant as a kid.

The only thing that is a little girly about me is I obsess over my hair and skin, I'm always buying different products and stuff. :/

#11 Lewis, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  12. shironuma

I don't know if this counts but my Mom raised me as a boy and pushed boy teachings to me even tho I am biologically a girl so when I was young I had many problems realizing what I was. When I got my period, things got even worst for me...

13. Neutrality

Hmmm thinking back....I exhibited both gender qualities as a kid. I played with my sisters barbies...but I also played with my GI Joes. I liked playing house...I also liked shooting my friends in lazer tag...The one really weird thing I noticed is I would have my GI joes shoot each other and stuff...but I also played with them talking about their families and making friends with each other...and my 2 favorite ones always spent time together and I would make them hug and stuff and they didn't have a family...(That should have been some kind of clue hehe =P )...I wouldn't say I was feminine though. I was somewhere in between as a kid....Hmm I did develop really bad gender dysphoria around 12 too though but, like most other people talked about it wasn't cause I didn't like being a boy it's because I was jealous that girl's could be with boys I just didn't realize it back then.

14. Pain

Pain Guest

I really liked playing with girly toys and dressing up in my big sister's costumey dresses :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: haha, maybe I did indeed have it, I suppose. My favorite toy? The Skydancer :wink: I suppose I never really thought of myself as a boy, per se, either, when I was little.... aside that I had a penis. I never liked "guy stuff"
    But yeah, I suppose I might have had GID. But it's whatever now.

15. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Skydancers! I've been trying to temember what they were called. There was a "boys'" version of that, involving knights that "leapt" from their dragons and foughteach other (by flying them into ewach other). I wanted one of those, but I really wanted a Skydancer too. One of those desires I tried to push away.

I'm not so sure I want one now. Looks kinda lame. :dry:
    I really wanted one back then, though.

16. aeva

I'm not sure how much of it is genetic, and how much is learned, but I was born to a tough, independent and physically hardworking woman, raised by a single father who took on both parental roles (he even sewed my clothes!) and encouraged my playing with both stereotypically male and female toys (I had trucks AND barbies!). I've had pretty much all male friends for the majority of my life (although my bff is a girl), and was surrounded by LGBT family and friends (my father is and my mother was in the theatre tech), so I didn't grow up with any one idea of what a male role was and what a female role was.

I'm pretty well split: I love power tools and gore, and absolutely loathe shopping. But I love wearing heels and getting my hair done, and hate sports. And I love that about myself, in fact it's my favorite thing about me. I definitely chose to associate with men much more often, because that's who my interests and sense of humor most often align with, and I have no problem with that. I love being one of the guys...

However, never once have I left like anything but a female. The feeling of strength and power I get from being a feminine woman who can handle anything a man can, and will do it with pleasure (wow, that's getting a little euphemistic there, but I guess it's true either way :icon_wink) is truly incredible.

17. bob94

I would say that I definitely had GID as a child. I always played with girly toys and would sneak into my sister's room and wear her dresses. I once even went up to my brother with a pair of scissors and told him to cut off my d*ck because I wanted to be a girl....that lead to some teasing that lasted for a few years! That lasted until I was probably 7 or 8. I now have no desire to be a girl. I'm definitely gay, though!

#17 bob94, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012