1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you an Atheist, an Agnostic, or a Theist?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by runallday4, Aug 4, 2012.

?

Are you an Atheist, an Agnostic, or a Theist?

1. Atheist

52 vote(s)
    49.5%
  2. Agnostic

30 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Theist

18 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Is this a trick question?

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

Be warned now, this post may turn into somewhat of a rant (VIDEO AT THE BOTTOM IF YOU DON'T LIKE TO READ). Well, first off, the purpose of this post is to inform people of a common misconception, that I've been hearing a lot lately. That misconception is that these are the three categories when dealing with religion. Actually, Agnosticism isn't a "third category" as many people think it is.
    Atheism-The disbelief in a God "I don't think there is a God"
    Theism-The belief in a God "I think there is a God"
    Agnosticism-The absence of knowledge in something "I don't know..."
    Gnosticism-The knowledge in something "I know..."

Therefor, when someone states they are an Atheist, they are not claiming to gave some kind of knowledge about the subject, they are merely stating that's what there belief is. Likewise, when someone says they are a Theist, they are not claiming to have knowledge about something, they are only saying that that's what they believe. These two words can be then combined with Agnostic and Gnostic to better describe something.

Agnostic Atheist-Someone who thinks there is no God, but can't say for certain.
    Gnostic Atheist-Someone who is claiming that they are absolutely sure that there is not God.
    Agnostic Theist-Someone who believes in God, but isn't 100% certain and doesn't have any actual knowledge in the matter.
    Gnostic Theist-Someone who claims to know for a fact that there is a God.

*Agnostic Atheism can also be called "Weak or Negative Atheism" and Gnostic Atheism can be called "Strong or Positive Atheism"

I hope I explained this well, but it's a confusing topic, and so many people already have false beliefs about the words, it's just a little pet peeve of mine. I've read about this on various sites, but also a really helpful youtube video I've seen is one by LaciGreen, and I'll post the video for that below.

[YOUTUBE]RIKeC9k2-Jg[/YOUTUBE]

2. julia

I'd say I'm a Agnostic Atheist. Anything is possible, I just don't believe that God could create the earth in 7 days, like, where did he come from? And if Jesus died for our sins why does everyone still commit them? The bible is full of hypocrisies and I'm pretty sure there's a whole section saying how multiple people lived to be 600+, which is not humanily possible. None of it makes sense to me. You don't need God to be a good person, you just need good morals. I know PLENTY of "Christians" who sin everyday, who lie, who cheat, who dont believe in equality. The whole concept of religion maddens me.

3. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Another agnostic atheist here. While incomplete, there are satisfactory scientific theories that explain how the universe and everything in it got to be the way it is without the need for divine intervention. That being said, all knowledge is provisional and subject to change given new evidence. While I cannot at this time think of what would count as satisfactory evidence for the existence of god(s) (aside from philosophical arguments), I can't rule out the possibility of such evidence being produced some day.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I also am going to say that I am an agnostic atheist as well. I used to be Christian, but recently I have had a change of heart. Some of it was due to the amount of hate withen my old church (I'm not saying that all churches teach hate.. I'm just saying that my old church did.) The rest of it was that I went off to college and realized that I really did not believe in God anymore.

5. Ridiculous

Atheist. Anti-religion.

6. Gen

Gen

I am a theist and I, personally, believe in the mono-omni god that is most common in the "main" religions. However, I do not agree with the notion that one religion must, nor is, even able to assess the wishes of god. After all, we are all naturally biased arent we?

As far as creation... I just find the idea that everything simply fell into place no less of plausible than the ideal of a high power. Way to many coincidences would have had to occur for humans to just happen about. However, I still can understand the point of view of Atheists. I just believe otherwise :/.

7. sanguine

Im a Theist :slight_smile:

So after watching that clip, that makes me a Gnostic Theist, couldnt care less what the bible said tbh

soooooooooooooooo true that could be said in reverse too, being an atheist doesnt not take away the fact that there are alot of immoral people out there on that side too.

8. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

I guess I would consider myself an Agnostic Atheist. So, I didn't know which choice to select- agnostic or atheist...

9. Gen

Gen

I'm actually curious, though, as to why you are "Anti-religion". I completely understand why many atheist are, religion is a large cause of conflict and seperation amoungst people. However, history seems to want to show us that this is in human nature as it is seen in ultimately every difference man has between each other.

I see why some would rather not have it, but would we not just find something else to fight about?

No offensive of course. Nor is this only addressed to Rid. Just interested in some other opinions.

10. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    #10 Browncoat, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  11. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an agnostic atheist.

#11 Mike92, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  12. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

As per your definitions, I would be a Gnostic Atheist. Most recently I began watching a documentary series on Nazis. Some people will probably roll their eyes at my suggestion of the parallels between their persecution of the Jewish people (I know it didn't just stop at Jews) and how some modern day "Christians" feel about gays, but the fact remains, this is how some people feel, and they make no secret of it.

For this reason (among other atrocities caused by mankind throughout history and on a daily basis) I cannot believe in God, Jesus, heaven, Allah, or any of that great magical stuff people use to justify their own insecurities, hypocrisies and hatred.

The proof of God's utterly irrefutable non existence, is ever present and profoundly evident in the work of his 'followers'.

That's the best way I can explain my feelings right now. I'm tired.

#12 ArcherySet, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2012
  13. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I'm agnostic atheist. I don't know if there's a God or not, but, I don't believe there is. I actually like religion though, I find it interesting how there's so many religions with so many different beliefs. I can't prove myself, I could support my point, but, I wouldn't argue with someone who believes in God or has a religion, unless of course they're the type of person that claims that they KNOW it, at that point, I would be irritated. I don't think anyone can know for sure, it's supposed to be a mystery.

14. SkyDiver

Ahahah, I like her. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I guess that means I'm a gnostic theist!

15. sanguine

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW5yhYEhRFQ&list=UUHJNlEFfw1jgEZWhXNj03rw&index=3&feature=plcp[/YOUTUBE]

Well this is her again saying she is Spiritual, but to me it doesnt make sense that she can be spiritual and an Atheist at the same time, mostly because I identify as Spiritual BUT to me it doesnt make sense how you can be spiritual and not believe in God,
    Because to me Spirituality is proof that God exists, just seems weird to me.

16. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

Actually, when I was making the poll, I thought "trick question" would be the right answer, because I was intending to show people that "agnosticism" shouldn't even be in the same category as Atheism and Theism because they mean different things.

Also, when I think about it, I am using any and all definitions there are. That's why I call myself an agnostic atheist. Although I do not believe in the Abrahamic God, maybe there is some God I can't even comprehend.
    I've actually read about that, and Ignosticism before, but I chose to just ignore the semantics of it, because no matter the definition of God, I still do not think a God exists, but also would have no absolute certainty (I actually don't believe in any absolute certainties, but that's a discussion for another post).

17. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not going to listen to that right now because I'm in a room with other people, but I'm going to assume she's explaining this:

Pantheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you define "God" as meaning "anthropomorphic deity with singular consciousness" (as many people do), then pantheism is technically an "atheistic" position.

If she's not talking about that I apologize for bringing it up and merely say that "spirituality" is a very subjective term - so it's just a manner of semantics.

18. LisforLisa

I'm a Gnostic Theist I truly believe there is a god. Being gay hasn't changed my religion one bit.

19. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

I don't want to claim to understand this completely, but here are my thoughts. As she said, "Spiritual" doesn't mean what we understand it do be, as the definition has been distorted by Religion. She's talking about spiritual as a connection between humans, and with the Earth. She doesn't mean a Spirit like God. Watch the video a few more times and maybe it'll make more sense.

20. Ridiculous

Religion is awful. Indoctrinating people into a specific way of living from a young age, usually by threatening them that they will suffer for eternity if they don't fall in line, is a terrible practice. And then, as you mentioned, a great majority of humanity's problems are a direct result of religion. The salt-in-the-wound is that the doctrines the religions revolve around are at best arbitrary, and at worst absolutely stupefying and intrinsically nonsensical.

Personal 'spirituality,' or whatever you want to call it, gets a pass from me as long as you aren't trying to convert others, and came to your own beliefs under your own conviction(i.e. you weren't taught them).

"However, history seems to want to show us that this is in human nature as it is seen in ultimately every difference man has between each other.
    I see why some would rather not have it, but would we not just find something else to fight about?"

History also teaches us that bacterial infections are very good at killing people. That doesn't mean we just say "well there's no point developing an antibiotic for this strain because another one will fill its place."
    And even if we did find something else to fight about in a post-religion world (which is, of course, conjecture) at least the two sides would be based on reality and could be resolved through logic rather than vicious slaughter.