1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why you shouldn't be gay

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by knawb, Aug 5, 2012.

1. knawb

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Has anyone actually heard any decent reasons why one shouldn't be gay that they haven't been able to counter?
    Its amazing how many people are anti-gay but I have yet to hear (or conceive myself) a decent argument explaining why homosexuality is wrong!

I mean you have the religious aspects but they are easy to counter, you have the not 'natural' but I doubt condoms and sex toys among other things are but straight people still use them.

I just thought it would be interesting to hear some arguments so I could compose a response if someone were ever to say that to me!!

2. SkyDiver

What's the world's population at right now? 7 billion?

Gay people are doing the planet a favor.

3. Lewis

Like we have a choice in the matter. Things people shouldn't do, people choose to do.

4. Romi

You know, I keep racking my brain trying to think of one single legitimate reason why it just might maybe be bad for someone to be gay and I just keep coming up short. That can only mean one thing, right? People should be whoever they are. Straight, gay, bi, whatever. All these nonsense reasons just need to go.

5. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

***WARNING HEAVY SATIRE*** Its wrong because mindless bigots say its wrong and everyone should listen to them, they're obviously the only sensible people worthy of judging everyone they meet, anyway. That includes the billions of people they don't know as well. Thank you, this has been a public service announcement from the Idiot Bigots Across America Movement.:slight_smile:

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because I'm far too awesome as gay, and if I were straight, I might be less so?

Lex

7. CelticRae

Nothing unless it has to do with jeezuz. I have never heard and argument against it from anyone who was not religious. Because there is none.:icon_wink

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your sexual orientation isn't up for debate.

The only "real" argument is that homosexuals don't in and of themselves produce children (except in edge cases, like lesbians who decide to go to the sperm bank, or gay men who decide to donate to the sperm bank.) The problem is that is argument presumes that every single person's natural duty is to have children. Then by the same argument, if you're straight, you have an ethical obligation to produce children, and every family that has less than two children is morally wrong. No such ethical obligation exists, and anyone who tries to claim that there is has the mentality of a rapist.

#8 Pret Allez, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think honestly the only argument I've heard is "you won't face the torment and bullying" and even then it's still not something you can change.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That, and people will find a way to torment you anyway, even if you weren't queer.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's just as ridiculous to talk about reasons why not to be red haired/freckled/tall/short/overly skinny/overly large/caucasian/asian/black/hispanic.

Really... the people that even try and get us talking about topics in this way this just don't get it.

12. LSunday

If we were pretending there was a choice in the matter, the only reason I could think of would be having the freedom to live a happy life without being told that your lifestyle is 'wrong.'

Again, the easy counter to that is "Why is that a reason for me to be straight, and not a reason for you to be less bigoted?"

Then there's the 'not having children' argument, which can be solved by pointing at sterile couples, adoption services (if it's everyone's job to have their own kids, shouldn't adoption be illegal too?), and of course the global population.

Religious arguments are ridiculously easy to poke holes in (contradictions in their text of choice, contradictions in which passages they do and don't ignore, the fact religion has no bearing on legal or social matters).

As far as 'unnatural,' you can either point out all the unnatural things we use every day, OR go to the many articles on animals with homosexual tendencies. My favorite is "Hundreds of animal species practice homosexuality. Only one persecutes others in the name of something that can't be proven. Which do you think is more 'natural?'"

#12 LSunday, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  13. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally agree :thumbsup: The only argument that stands up is the biological imperative one, but as Pret Allez says, that puts all the "barren" couples and couples who choose not to have children over the biological precipice too!

The world is also over-populated - we don't need to keep going forth and multiplying. And so it comes down to religious and cultural norms which are all man-made constructs and nothing to do with right or wrong.

14. Pain

Pain Guest

Well, when I came out to my parents I didn't really know how to react to one thing: "I have no reason to believe that you're gay." My dad told me that. I just kept saying, "It's just how I feel." Plus I'm not good at face-to-face, quick-comeback arguments. I only think of things when I'm writing or when I'm done with the issue, but that stumped me... Maybe I should've just acted more stereotypical :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: haha

15. blightedsight

Read read an interesting theory that homosexuality is, infact, a natural, evolved way of population control.
    This link, while not being the source of comment(and a little annoying in the way it is written), is nevertheless an interesting starting point for the theory, if you're so inclined to read: G. Roger Denson: Homosexuality as Population Control? Why Gays & Lesbians Are Essential to the Balance of Nature.

16. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No.

17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They basically all boil down to "if you weren't gay, I wouldn't have to deal with it."

Lex

18. knawb

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Didn't think there were any decent arguments!!

19. blightedsight

I have one - if you don't do it right, it hurts like hell!

20. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! You told me that you liked it!! :eek: