1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Story: Cookery classes to be compulsory

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Paul_UK, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Full story here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7200949.stm

Initially it sounds like a really good idea. I wish I had more practical cookery lessons when I was at school.

However just 1 hour a week for just 1 term is not going to achieve much.

Also with the way schools here are reducing anything that could risk them being sued, will kids actually be allowed to touch the cooker or hot pans etc?

2. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's potentially a great idea, but they should really make it a GCSE rather than a short course. It is something that would be used in everyday life, and is something i never had at school. I don't even know how to use a cooker at home. :astonished:

This new law thing makes no sense to me, as six weeks of cooking each school year was compulsory anyway (from years 7-9) at my old high school. The new laws will not affect my old school at all, so i think it should become an official subject. It can't be any worse than Resistant Materials *shudders*

3. Ty

Ty Guest

Well im glad i don't have to do that.... *is happy he's 15* :slight_smile:

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Once you leave home you'll find basic cookery knowledge very useful Ty.

5. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

i had to take cooking classes in school from age 11-14, three times a week for 45 minutes at a time. it was lots of fun actually haha, the first half of each year was cooking during that period and the second half was sewing

6. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In junior high (grades 7-9) Home-ec / cooking was mandatory. I very much enjoyed it. We had I think 1 short 40 minute period a week and a longer 1.5 hour one. In the short period we learned nutrition, etc. In the 1.5 hour period we did the actual "lab". Usually the recipes were fairly simple yet tasty, and got people familiar with the kitchen. The ingredients were provided. It is a very practical course.

Half the Home-ec time was cooking, then for the other half the term we did sewing. While I don't think knowing how to use a sewing machine is mandatory, I still thought it was fun. Knowing how to hand stitch, for hems or repairs, is useful information.

I do think somewheres in school should be a unit on budgeting. So many people have no idea what to watch out for, what types of financing are really bad, etc.

7. Ty

Ty Guest

Im not a complete cooking virgin :slight_smile: Bacon and Egg sandwiches are my specialty :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "cookery!"

So British!

Ha ha...

I never thought it would be the case that we'd arrive at a place where there was a dearth in knowing how to cook... I mean there's so much food out there that doesn't really require any prep and it's still an issue?

I thought my cooking skills were relatively limited but so far I can take care of myself. I mean I eat out a lot but I don't need to... I just would rather spend my time doing stuff I enjoy more than preparing food.

9. Rizpaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's exactly what I was thinking right before I read this post.:lol: