1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The difference between being Gay and Transgender?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by smprob, Aug 8, 2012.

1. smprob

I read this article Joe Kort, Ph.D.: Coming Out of My 'Trans' on The News by Dr. Joe Cort.

I thought a phrase like " I want to be on the side of the opposite sex" would be better than "I want to be the opposite sex" related to a gay person.

I'm just wondering what would you say of the statement related to you and of course of the article itself? :slight_smile:

2. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What an odd statement!

I've never wanted to be a woman - I just wanted to have sex with men, which is not the same things at all.

I'm very happy and always have been to be a man.

Well done you for spotting it. It will be interesting to hear what others think. :smilewave

3. Bree

I would disagree with that statement...

4. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very poorly phrased. A gay person might want to be the opposite sex to avoid social stigma, or to benefit from perceived advantages that being the opposite sex would entail for them. Most, however, don't want to be the opposite sex at all.

A transperson wants to be the opposite sex because they're programmed to be the opposite sex. They feel uncomfortable in their bodies and cannot enjoy relationships as their birth sex for much the same reason a gay man couldn't enjoy relationships with women: it feels like they're settling.

5. ameliawesome

That is an odd statement. It seems like he should've said, "a gay child would say they have crushes on their same gender." When I was a little girl I liked other girls but never wanted to be a boy. I did (and still do) have a fascination with male pronouns and sometimes I internally apply them to myself, but I think that's far from anything like transgender or wanting to physically be a male. If I were born male, I believe I'd still be androgynous and gay.

6. Drakey

true, I find it to be an odd statement too. I've never had any desire to act/be anything other than male. I almost never act the least bit effeminate. A better way of putting would be "a gay child pays closer attention to the same gender".

7. smprob

yes, I guessed that :icon_wink

what about
    I don't know if I express it well, but I think you would know what I'm talking about. Anyway that quote on my first post was not something said by Dr. Joe Kort, but something he quoted from a interview by Barbara Walters. But I'm not sure if he agrees or not.

#7 smprob, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Ah! While the guy is trying to be nice and explain that the "T" does belong, the article has oh so many errors! xD

He is confusing transgender and transexual, which are different. You cannot compare what a drag queen goes through to what a transexual goes through. Similar, but the slight differences are significant.

I think the person you are quoting is confusing gender expression with gender identity. In our society it might be very hard to distinguish, but there is a difference. For example, while my gender expression can be feminine as a kid or like "girl toys" it doesn't mean that my gender identity is of a woman. And vice versa.

The real difference between someone being gay and someone being trans is completely different. They are actually not even related at all. Not in the fact that the T doesn't belong, but in the fact that someone can be both gay and trans at the same time.

9. blightedsight

I don't know it is that odd a statement.
    I certainly don't think it is universally held that gay men want to be women, but I do know sometimes I have wanted to be a woman, and not just because it would be easier to have a relationship with a man.

But then I am not gay, so who knows.

10. Curly

Maybe I am reading it wrong. I don't really understand it. I've read it over and over a couple of times.

Do they mean "sex" or "gender"?

I identify as transgender and not transsexual ... just to make sure, there is a difference right? I don't want to change my sex.

Confusing ...

11. smprob

Yes I completely agree with this:

Well, "Gender expression" is a term I've never given enough attention, I should look up that, thanks.

Well, I never wanted to be a woman, but then I find it would be much more easier to be remain as one to have a relationship with a man, but sad thing is then I don't want to feel my body:confused:, so no use.

@shfh
    er! I think it's bc the writer (says) is just started to accepting this (trans...) concept. he says he used to be trans-phobic, But then almost everyone are, having some kind of phobic :lol: so I thought not to make it an issue for me!:grin:

#11 smprob, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  12. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Genderqueer is a concept that more people could stand to know about. A decent number of people who are gay or bi are also genderqueer to some extent.

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Joe Kort's strongest area of specialty is LGB counseling issues. I don't think his practice includes a lot of transgender work, but honestly I don't know for sure.

I'm a little surprised that he'd make those sort of mistakes, especially since his Ph.D. is, I believe, in sexology, and I would assume he'd have competence in trans terminology.

14. rossicacid182

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If a gay male wants or expresses a yearning to be the opposite gender they would be a trans!girl who is straight. If they express wanting to be the opposite gender as a way to appear normal, by them feeling uncomfortable as being labelled only gay that's different, it is less about wanting the other genders body, and more about liking the idea of being 'normal' by societies standards.
    The same goes for a lesbian.

That whole main statement is completely offensive to all of those who have made a statement to themselves or to others including their gender identity and sexual preference. Both of which, are completely different things that make up who a person is.