1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you be friends with an ex...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Route466, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Route466

Route466 Guest

...when you're in a serious relationship with someone else?

Would you date someone who was still good friends with their ex, even if the ex wasn't part of their circle of friends, and the two of them would basically have to go out of their way to see and talk to each other?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! It would really depend on the boundaries that my date (or boyfriend) can set. If I know I can fully trust him that nothing is going to happen and that they are just friends, I would be okay with it.

That said, I would be curious if I realize that my date or boyfriend would start making some efforts to meet up with his ex and both would go out of their ways. It would raise a flag for me...

3. Caoimhe Fayre

I am still friends with almost all of my ex's. I don't go out of my way to connect with them, persay, but I have worked to keep my friendship with all of them. I think I would be more inclined to date someone who is not only cordial, but friends to some degree, with at least most of their ex's. Otherwise I would worry for our friendship if our own stab at romance didn't work out...

I would also hope that I would not be jealous if someone I loved and was dating was still friends with her ex's, even close friends. I would only be concerned if I found myself excluded or treated as an afterthought, otherwise I hope I would trust my partner's integrity.

4. Vesper

I have no experience in this particular area, but from an intellectual standpoint, I don't see why it's not possible to be friends with an ex while in a relationship with someone else. I suppose it'd be more likely if the split was amicable and agreed to by both people, but I think it should still be possible even though the break-up was not amicable if both parties are able to look back on those times and realize their mistakes. This is assuming that everyone is the type to let bygones be bygones because life's not worth spending constantly fretting over lost loves. If any one of the parties is the jealous type, though, then all bets are off.

#4 Vesper, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  5. Waffles

Of course! I am still great friends with most of my ex's. I mean, why let breaking up destroy such a good friendship? ... unless, of course, they go behind your back and turn against you after you break up (happened to me before...). Then I wouldn't be friends with them.

As for dating someone who's friends with their ex... well, it depends. I mean, you can't tell them "no, you can't be friends with them"... cuz that's rude. ( .A.) However, if your dating someone who takes priority over their ex than they do you... then maybe there's some concern. But if they take prioity in you than their ex, then I think it's fine... (so long as the person doesn't make you their ONLY priority... that's when they become clingy.)

6. Capichino

Yes u can but I don't sugest it though

7. Fate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it really depends on the person, for me I believe you can be friends with an ex...
    I also think trust plays a HUGE role, do you trust you partner? Have you talked to them and expressed your concern about said person? In the end I believe that their an "ex" for a reason... The relationship here and now is what matters...
    >.<

8. MidnightOwl

I'm of the opposite value. Anything that wasn't settled in your relationship will still be there. It's simply sweeping problems under the rug and pretending with a fake smile that you are all honky dory. I believe that there will always be residual of an ex and you lingering in the friendship. So why it may be possible, they also may be holding unto things from the past relationship.

9. leer

:sleep:Think you can if it was a happy time am good mates with an ex even
    Talked of getting back together:icon_wink

10. aeva

Yeah, I'm really close with 2 of my exes (both male), and still friendly with four others (2 girls, 2 guys). Two have actually been at my house in the last 3 days.

I've never really had a volatile break-up, I think because, for the most part, we were friends before we dated, so we've been able to return to that after our relationships ended.

11. MerBear

I'm still friends with my ex but I'm not with anyone right now though.
    Me and her are having issues right now