1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horrible Discovery!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MatthewJS, Aug 10, 2012.

1. MatthewJS

My soon-to-be brother-in-law is a homophobe. F :***: k

2. GreenRaven

D: oh no! That totally sucks man! Good luck with everything....we're here if you need us

3. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Have you tried talking with him personally about this, or was it just sort of a "I-heard-it-through-the-grapevine" type thing?

4. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How much contact are you likely to have with him? Over the years, I haven't come in contact with my brothers-in-law very often at all and so their attitudes and opinions have not really impacted on me. It could be that you won't have to out up with him very often and so needed worry.

What is your sister's attitude? If she's accepting of you and you are close to her, I doubt very much that she will stand by and let him speak to you disrespectfully or treat you inappropriately.

(*hug*)

5. MatthewJS

He says that homosexuality was an abomination, which really pissed me off! After I told my 2nd oldest sister that there is a gay (and attractive) Olympian on T.V.

6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My current one is. And he goes out with guns (or sometimes a bow) killing animals for fun, too. I actually kinda look forward to him finding out, he likes me and i relish the opportunity to change his opinion on something, just once. Maybe you can open this guy's eyes =)

7. MatthewJS

I hope I can open his eyes. It just that he grew up in a Christian family and possibly believe everything in the bible.

8. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's free to believe what he wants, even if it is blind and ignorant, but he's not going to be in a position to affect your life THAT much.

Plus, your sister seems to find something nice in him - he can't be all bad. Give him a chance.(*hug*)

9. MatthewJS

actually, they knew each other for a few years but didn't get dated after a few years. I do accept him but about abomination That is when I got pissed

10. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does he know you're gay? Perhaps you can re-educate him as he gets to understand about how hurtful his prejudices are, otherwise stay clear of him if he goes into "peachy" mode. You can get through it!(&&&)

11. SunSparks

First of all, like others have already said - contact with him shouldn't be too much. Also, is he moving in with your family? If he is - just sort of ignore him. If he isn't - then you definitely won't have too much contact with him.

Plus, how often does LGBT come up as a topic of conversation? I don't think that every time you come in contact with him, that he will be going on and on about his beliefs.

12. blightedsight

I can't hear the word "abomination" in the context of homosexuality without going to "Obamanation!".

God loves Proposition 8 The Musical!

13. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

I'm sorry to hear that, alot of my family members are homophobes too.

I just don't talk to them, if you are close with your sister I'm sure she will talk sense into your soon to be brother in law, otherwise keep the contact minimal, or just with your sister. Best wishes :slight_smile:

14. J Snow

Yeah, my entire family is homophobes. It sucks. My uncle told me on Christmas eve that America is doomed because legalizing gay marriage is what caused the fall of the Roman Empire. It was one of the most awkward moments of my life. My parents knew I was in a gay relationship but he didn't, and I just had to leave the room all awkward and defeated. =/ I literally don't know of one person I'm related to that isn't a conservative homophobe.

You can't change some people. You just have to let them not effect you.

15. MatthewJS

Nobody in my family knows I'm gay. Although I do assume that they do know.

---------- Post added 11th Aug 2012 at 05:46 PM ----------

He moved in with my family yesterday, I do sometimes ignore him, LGBT conversation only starts if there is a gay character on a show or if someone talks about it.

16. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope you can open his eyes. Good luck.