1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doggies! (serious question actually)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nemo39122, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Nemo39122

Lol, so I actually have a question. I love large breeds of dogs, and want a Boxer in particular. Here's the problem though. I'm a college student (live on campus) and spend a few hours teaching martial arts on average 2-3 nights a week. I also live in an apartment, but its a pretty decent size for a one bedroom and I don't think space would be an issue. But from what I've heard, Boxers aren't exactly lazy dogs. Are they able to be kept in an apartment? I would be able to take it outside at least twice a day, maybe more. I love dogs to the point that literally every moment of my free time would be spent with it. :slight_smile:

So, can Boxers be apartment dogs? Do they need more space and constant attention?
    Or, any medium-large breeds that can do well in that environment?

2. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why don't you just google their breed? There's a plethora of information on the Internet. Even go to YouTube and search their breed. You can find animal planet "Dogs 101" videos that give you quick, vital information on your particular breed.

3. Nemo39122

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've been looking up all of those things. I just thought I'd get a little more input from people who have maybe owned the breed before. I want to make sure I know as much as possible before making a decision.

I'm also strongly considering a golden retriever, they seem to be a bit calmer and more adaptable to different environments like apartments. :slight_smile:

#3 Nemo39122, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  4. MusicIsLife

Personally, I wouldnt recommend it. I've lived with larger breeds for most of my life and it's HARD to keep them in a small apartment. The dog if you're not home enough will probably get bored and start chewing on things they wouldnt normally chew. And are you adopting/rescuing an older dog or planning to get a puppy? A puppy can be expensive with booster shots and its first checkup, and you need to be home pretty often to let them out, not just twice a day. Our puppy labs had to be let out every half hour to pee. And yes a boxer is indeed a breed you need to exercise a lot. Even if it's just a lazy walk twice a day, that will not be enough. A boxer is what's called a working dog, and will need to be put through its paces. Do you have a nearby dog park where he or she can really run a few times a day?

It's a lot to think about. Any large dog breed can be a handful or manageable, depends on the dog's personality. I'd go for a greyhound if I were you. They make great apartment dogs, and there's always greys that need rescuing when they finish their racing careers at 2-3 years old. Though they are good apt dogs, they too also need a good run once or twice a day.

5. Nemo39122

Well I'll definitely be researching about dog parks if I get a larger breed. I would consider a smaller dog, but growing up all I've had were these tiny little lapdogs...the kind of dogs that remind you of stuffed animals, or look like they would squeak instead of bark (don't get me wrong, I love them, but its just a different type of pet really). I want something I can run with and hang out with and actually hug without breaking it. I want a dog.
    As much as I love puppies, I would probably get (likely rescue) an adult dog just because I know how much time and effort puppies require. The earliest I would be doing this would be next summer when I'm not in classes, so it would have a couple months of me being home almost all day every day while it got settled in. Plus I also need to see how busy my classes will keep me, to see if this is even an option.

6. great dane might be better, so ive heard although they are big they dont need that much exercise.

any dog likes to play and things though so if youre getting a puppy any puppy will be excitable and not exactly the quietest for a few months and need constant attention till its house trained..

7. FJ Cruiser

From the experience I've had with boxers, I would say it's a bad idea to get one if you don't have a yard. It might just be that all the boxers I've known have been badly trained and/or extremely hyper. That said, it really depends on the individual temperament of the dog. My brother has a lab-something mix, and you'd expect it to be high energy. Indeed, her entire litter was extremely hyper, but my brother noticed from the get-go that she was very mellow. Now all she does is laze around the house, and we have to force her outside to relieve herself. She's lazy enough that she'll hold it in, yet we've never had accidents with her. But then when the time comes for exercise, she's perfectly happy with everything from a 10 minute walk to hours of exercise.

Greyhounds, Great Danes, Mastiffs, Newfoundlands, and several other very large breeds are known for being good apartment dogs once they get their exercise. There's tons of information to explore on the Internet.

8. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like you, I also loveee dogs, especially the larger breeds. Now I don't know anything about Boxers specifically, but I personally wouldn't recommend getting a dog right now. As much as you may want one NOW (believe me, I've been wanting a dog all my life and still don't have one yet), it may not be best or fair for the dog him/herself. As a college student myself, I know how hectic life can be. Between classes, homework, and everything else you've got going on, such as teaching classes, you will have less time for the dog than you think you will. All dogs - and especially the larger breeds - need LOTS of exercise for their own mental and physical well-being. If they don't get ample amounts of activity and exercise to spend all the energy that they have, it can have dire consequences for their health and their behavior. They can and will turn their energy to a different outlet, such as destroying your apartment. If they don't have enough mental stimulation, they can become - above being destructive - aggressive, frustrated, and will develop many other issues.

Make sure to do your research thoroughly and think long and hard about whether or not you'll be able to provide for the dog once you get it. Don't just think about your own desire of wanting a cute doggy to play with; in order to be fair, you have to think about your ability to care for the dog the way it needs to be cared for. In addition to exercising, you also have to learn to become their pack leader. You have to understand that a dog needs a leader and you have to know how to be it; if you don't take the lead, they will become alpha and lead you. Then, you'll have many problems on your hand. They won't be disciplined, and they'll walk all over you. And even when dogs become alpha, they don't like that. They prefer to have someone lead them; it actually puts stress on them mentally when they feel they have to take the lead and be in control. They like knowing what's expected of them, so you have to be ready to take on that role and to take time to train them properly.

Moreover, are you financially capable of supporting a dog right now? It's basically just like supporting another human being...actually, like supporting a baby. You have to feed them, bathe them, groom them, train them, walk them, give them the stimulation they need, and you have to be responsible for keeping up with their health. Can you pay for food? For classes? For all their goodies (treats, beds, crates, toys, etc.)? Can you pay the vet bills? Pay for vaccinations, pay for neutering them? Dogs are expensive!

So all that being said, I'd suggest you wait a few more years, finish school, and become financially stable before you get a dog. I know someone in college who can't take care of her own dog, so she tosses her dog around to different people (whoever can take care of the dog for a few weeks here and there before she throws the dog to someone else). I'm not saying you'll do that, but it's not fair to the dog if you can't give it what it needs. Think about it, really think about it.

I don't know if you've ever watched it, but check out the show "Dog Whisperer." The guy, Cesar Millan, is a dog miracle worker. You'll learn so much about how dogs behave, how to alter their behavior, and you'll get to see all these dogs who become troubled when they don't get enough exercise. It'll make you think twice before you jump into getting one.

I'm not trying to scare you off or discourage you from getting one, but I just want to make sure you understand what having a dog really entails. Hope this helps!

9. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

My aunt and uncle have two Boxers. They're always taking them to big parks and fields and running them around every day. and they have a great huge house. The dogs are always really hyper and playful -So, I'd say they probably aren't the kind of dog you have time to take care of... not quite yet anyway:grin:

10. aeva

I completely agree with musikk in almost every way. I've actually never owned a dog myself, but as a vet tech and pet-sitter, I have worked with them for quite a while (I've worked in an animal hospital since I was 12), including a number of boxers.

I too am a college student with my own apartment, and am dying to get a dog (I'm into the large breeds as well)...but I know that it's just not fair. You simply do not have the time, space or money available to give a dog a good life, especially boxers which are prone to a number of health issues and are definitely energetic. I'd definitely suggest waiting until you can give your new dog the life it deserves, and be able to have the resources to enjoy your life with him.

Musikk- the only issue I have with your post is the advice to check out Cesar Milan. Most veterinarians and behaviorists (including the the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior), strongly disagree with his teachings. I'm not saying that he doesn't have some valuable theories or even methods, I'm just warning that the show should not be used as a primary source of information on training, because nothing can replace the valuable one-on-one experience of working with a trainer, as well as consulting with the dog's veterinarian.

#10 aeva, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  11. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I wasn't trying to say that she should use Cesar Millan as a model for how to train dogs. Rather, that show features a lot of dogs who are troubled mostly due to lack of exercise and proper training from their owners. I was trying to ask her to watch just so she could see what bad behaviors could result from improper care.

12. Curly

I love big dogs, but I've never been able to have one yet.

I have a jack russel terrier that is about 8 years old now. When she was a puppy we had a relatively big house and a large yard. Now she is older, the appartment is sort of ok for her. I am guessing ... Appartments + young jack russel terrier = disaster!

In my apartment, we recently got beagle. He is bigger than the jack russel and has a lot of energy and is strong, but the beagle is def less hyperactive as the jack russel. I love him. Beagles can be lazy dogs so they do ok in the appartment.

The thing about apartments is the house breaking. Slow elevators and tiny puppy bladders ... you can imagine the result

13. ameliawesome

I'm first gonna echo a lot of what's been said, big dogs need plenty of space and they cost more to feed or medicate than smaller dogs, plus they make bigger messes. I grew up with a shepard-lab who was a great family dog, but we had the large yard and I couldn't say what might've been different if we were in a smaller space. Because of her I learned to love large dogs and never imagined I'd have a dog smaller than 70 lbs. But! I rescued my 23 lb bestie from a sad fate and I'm so glad that I didn't decide not to take him just because he wasn't my ideal dog. So even though boxer is your dream dog, don't rule out a smaller breed, my dog is definitely not delicate lol. He's a mix of Chihuahua and mini Pincher, but I think he's actually twice the size of the average chipin.

14. Nemo39122

Thanks for the replies :slight_smile:
    Someone mentioned greyhounds so I did a little research...theyre perfect lol. I live near Houston so there are a lot of retired racing dogs up for adoption...now I'm just going to wait a semester or two and see if I would have the time for it with my classes and everything (although I'm considering quitting and going into an EMT/Paramedic program instead :slight_smile: but that's a different story)