1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eye contact

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheDifferent13, Aug 13, 2012.

1. TheDifferent13

Hello my fellow ECs.

So, from all the posts that I went through, I noticed a lot of people saying that eye contact is a good way to see if a person is gay or straight, whether that person makes an eye contact with you, or looks away. I know you can never be sure about someone's sexuality no matter what they do or say, but it's said to be one of the signs that can help you.

Personally I was never comfortable with making eye contact, meaning that whenever a guy I was looking at, looked me in the eyes, I always panicked and quickly looked away. Cause I was always affraid of what that guy might think, when he notices I'm looking at him. I'm just too awkward. But I want to try.

So I was wondering what someone elses opinion is on this topic. Do you think making eye contact is a good way to try to meet someone? Did you have any good/bad experiences with making eye contact with someone? Any input that anyone can give will be appreciated :grin:.

2. blightedsight

Eye contact is a great way to connect with someone, but, I wouldn't say it can be used as a method to detect whether that connection is romantic.
    People who initiate and maintain eye contact with someone very probably do it with everyone because it's part of who they are.

It's like that old wives tale that when a girl is fondling her hair she is really saying she likes you - no, what she's actually saying is she likes fondling her hair.

I do recommend trying to develop the ability to initiate and maintain eye contact, though, especially with people you first me, because it really does make all the difference in first opinions and communication.
    People who maintain eye contact(but not staring, never staring) come off as more confident and strong, and those are always attractive qualities.

3. sanguine

There are ways actually

The first one is observation, you watch where the other guy is looking, if he stares at women walking by that should put be a pretty clear indication (unless you're me and you stare at women to put off people LOL)

The second one is when the eyes dilate, when a guy is aroused or attracted to someone the pupil goes big, another indication

lastly there is also the eye game, where the other guy takes quick glipses at you and you can sort of feel them on you then when you check in his direction he looks away (I suggest not relying on this one though, sometimes I just stare at how cool some guys piercings are or the tattooes and when he looks my way I tend to look away too, doesnt necessarily mean hes gay)

4. blightedsight

Nope. You can't really use this as helpful because a basic instinct in a man is to assess other men in the vicinity to check out if they are rivals in any sense.
    You can't even use a man looking at another mans crotch as proof as one of the first things men(sexuality irrelevant) look at on other people, is the crotch.
    It's all about dominance and potential mates.

Yes, but the eyes dilate for so many reasons in such a short space of time, you can't even use that as an indicator in conjunction with someone else.
    Lets also not forget, you would have to be pretty close to the person to view this, and, well, again, that brings in any number of reasons why this is happening.

I suggest not relying on any of the ones you mention because, again, they don't really add up to much.

At the end of the day there is only one way you can tell if someone likes you, and thats when they tell you...and even then thats not always accurate:grin:

5. Mogget

I don't really like eye contact. I try to make eye contact because I know other people like it, but it doesn't really do anything for me, but unless I find someone's eyes really pretty, it's not my thing.

6. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I essentially do the same thing. For interviews and stuff I know it's crucial, so I force myself to make contact with the other person's eyes as they speak to me. Usually I feel like a huge fraud when I force it though, because it isn't genuine, I'm just doing it to appease them.

7. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If I'm actually talking to someone then try to make/keep eye contact...

But if I'm just out in public - at the park or store or whatever, If passing by someone I tend to make eye contact and then quickly look away (wish I could force myself to avoid that eye contact alltogether)

8. Fumi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's interesting that eye contact has different meaning in different cultures. For example, while in western societies it might show confidence or interest in what the speaker is saying, in some asian countries (Japan, specifically), making eye contact comes off as rude, so people usually avoid it.

9. GingerGuy

Well, it depends if the eye contact is deep and penetrating or just outgoing and friendly. The first one is a sexy sign of interest that I've sadly never seen, or at least noticed, being shown towards me. The second one is simply someone who wants to be friends with you and enjoys a casual talk. It may or may not mean that the other is interested.

PS: this post applies to all forms of crushes and flirting, and not just homosexual ones.

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm an aspie and find any and all eye contact at least somewhat awkward, and usually outright uncomfortable. Some people (like me) will respond better to verbalisation =)

11. Snowy

Snowy Guest

I typically tend to avoid eye contact.. I'm a bit awkward, so that's probably part of the reason. Eye contact typically makes me pretty uncomfortable. Some of my old friends back before I moved would say that I was always staring at the ground or at something behind them when I was talking to them.

12. nathaniel

nathaniel Guest

I started 10th grade year today and the new guy I added on fb during the besause he seemed nice and hes really cute. But not saying I didnt like it but in my art history class thatguy was looking at me alot then looked away when I looked back.lol