1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDA- Public Displays of Affection

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by oblina, Aug 13, 2012.

1. oblina

How does everybody feel about PDA? Does it differ from place to place? Do you hold hands or kiss in public or semi public(with friends)?

2. Pain

Pain Guest

Usually, when my boyfriend and I went out, we would have ZERO PDA's but we were just starting to-- we held hands in public after a few dates, and IT WAS FABULOUS! I wish that there were more dates... But now that I'm in a position where I'm missing him, I would kiss him in public and seriously not care. When I see him next, that's what's gonna happen ❤
    But I don't like when other people do it. I'm kind of an attention whore :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Iamthewalrus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Me and my boyfriend usually hold hands in public but we don't usually kiss unless we're at a club or there's some other reason. Last month I came back from a month long business trip and when I saw him waiting for me at the airport there wasn't anything in the world that would have stopped me from kissing him, things like that. When we're with friends then I think it depends on the situation, if there's alcohol involved then I usually find it quite difficult not to be affectionate but if we're watching a movie or something like that then we don't because it's not appropriate in that context.

4. blightedsight

I'll hold my boyfriends hand, I'll kiss him in public and I'll enjoy it.

#4 blightedsight, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  5. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Oh, yes. The moments when my girlfriend and I aren't holding hands/PDA are far and few between. PDAs are our way of getting people to become used to seeing more openly same-sex couples. That- and I love being near her.<3 But in some places there are limits, I suppose.(For example, no make-out sessions in Algebra 1) Lol...

6. prism

Holding hands and quick kisses are fine, but when I see a couple making out in public: Yuck, no. Who are you. Get a room.

It could be a cultural thing. Chinese people rarely even stand within a yard of one another.
    It could also just depend on where you live. I've lived in metropolitan areas my entire life, so if you're doing anything other than walking, I hate you.

7. Delta

I am all for PDA. I think it's sad to have to go on a walk without holding hands, and stealing kisses is cute and sweet. Making out, however, not so much. I think anything you can do while walking is fine for PDA, but things you have to stop for more than a minute to do are kinda inappropriate.

8. SunSparks

Hmmm... you quite literally stole my words right out of my mouth! I don't mind a little touchy touchy but not like a full on embrace, that I'd rather not see.

9. oblina

I think i feel the same way, anything more than a minute makes me uncomfortable, at least doing it myself, thats why me and my girlfriend have been practicing quick kisses! It's so hard though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: This is my first open relationship, as well as hers, and I was just kinda unsure what is okay to do in public, but I guess everyone is different?

has anybody had any negative reactions from public PDA? The other night I walked my girlfriend to the car(alone at night, nearly no one around) and i kissed her for more than a quick second and a car drove past yelling at us that it was wrong and not right. Has anyone else dealt with this?

10. GTR36

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would have to agree. Holding hands and stealing a quick kiss is fine. But to have a full make out session gives everyone a bad name.

11. it differs, if im in my home town i link arms.... hold hands at a push.

if im in the city i hold hands and dont have any problems/stares much.

12. Hazel

I'm actually pretty undecided on the topic. I definitely wouldn't do it around family/employers, but I think I could blush and do it around friends or in a place I know is friendly.

13. Pinstripe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have to echo the sentiment that holding hands and quick kisses are ok, but making out in public is kinda tacky. My girlfriend and I have never gotten a bad reaction, but we aren't that touchy feely in public at all, and we live in a pretty tolerant city.

14. armsoutfarther

Holding hands and giving each other a quick kiss is fine by me but nobody really wants to see two people making out.

15. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    nothing wrong with hand holding or a quick kiss.
    Not much for making out in public though

16. Flow

I couldn't help but laugh at this comment. And about that Chinese people thing, me and my exgirlfriend would always hold hands and hug in public lol.. so Idk where you're getting that notion from. I've also been to China and the couples there have no problem embracing each other by kissing, hugging etc.

For my PDA, it's always going to be PG. I mean cmon, who the hell wants to see other people full on make out in the middle of the mall.. Holding hands and pecs on the cheek are about the only things I'll ever do.

17. blightedsight

If you're doing it for other people, then you shouldn't be doing it.

There are plenty of things that I don't want to see during the course of my day, yet I do, and I don't complain about it - so if I want to give my partner an affectionate kiss, for whatever reason, please feel free to not look at that tiny amount of space me and my boyfriend are taking up:grin:

18. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Everyone is different when it comes to PDA. The only thing that I would say be careful about is to know where you are and who is around you. I'm usually very PDA friendly, but I will stop myself if I feel like I'm in a bad place or someone is getting more upset than usual. No kiss is worth me getting beat up or worse.

That being said, I haven't had many bad encounters with people. People will stare are you sometimes, but usually nothing more than that. And even then I'm usually to damn happy to even notice :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: xD

Be careful about walking at night and alone. Always try to avoid situations like that. There are some crazy ass people out there. Be careful :slight_smile:

19. prism

Should have mentioned that it depends on the region. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I can only think of a handful of times where I've hugged anyone from my extended family. And a lot of my Chinese friends that are dating another Chinese person will date for a year+ without having sex.

20. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I think that gay couples shouldn't really do any PDAs because it just gets people to freak out and yell at you and stuff. But if you're in a certain neighborhood, then whatever. I don't really care personally.