1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only who hates the word homophobia?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jared, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Jared

To me homophobia seems like a bad term to describe the hate towards LGBT. A phobia is an irrational fear of something, and it seems to me that most homophobes aren't irrationally afraid of us, but irrationally hate us. It just seems like this term is trying to make excuses for homophobes and make it more acceptable, it's trying to pass off discrimination and bigotry as a fear. Am I the only one who feels this way?

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it sounds like an illness, and in some cases it seems to manifest as such. I don't hate the word though. It's only a word.

Plus I'll bet there is at least one person out there wih a crippling and irrational fear of homosexuals. Wouldn't that be funny...

3. julia

I hate it too. Homophobic people aren't afraid of the gay community, they're just assholes.

4. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just like countless other words in a modern dictionary, its current meaning is something fairly different from its original roots.
    While its latin roots mean a fear of the same, it has now evolved to describe a hatred or strong dislike of LGBT people.
    The word "gay has also changed in meanings over the years to become something different.
    So, no, I guess I don't really have a problem with the word itself. :slight_smile:

5. Jared

That would be hilarious.

My feelings exactly.

6. SunSparks

Oooo! Thats a great point! I never really thought about it like that, well... I never actually though about it... but I do agree!

7. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I, personally, hate the words 'homosexual' and 'heterosexual'. Androphilic and Gynephilic seem preferable, to me. I guess I would be 'omniphilic' or 'ambiphilic' under that system.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And many "gays" aren't happy, and most lesbians have never been to Greece. It's just a sound we make to indicate something. :slight_smile:

Lex

9. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Never thought about it... hm, it would be funny if someone actually was deathly afraid of gay people :roflmao: oh, the fun I would have... As for the word itself- It is an irrational hate, not fear necissarily but a lot of hate is branched out from fear so there may be a sliver of sense to using this term. (example: "I hate spiders because I'm afraid of them"- but it doesn't make as much sense the other way around: "I'm afraid of spiders because I hate them.") Most of the time I just say "bigots" anyway, so... Foods for thoughts, indeed!!:dry:

#9 AshenAngel, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
  10. Markio

There's also the word "heterosexism," which refers to the assumption that everyone is heterosexual, or that heterosexuality is the only valid sexuality. It's more or less an updated version of "homophobia."

11. sanguine

I still think homophobia is fear, fear of being seen as afraid, a weakling, different, people act out on that fear by a cause which in this case is being gay, then use an excuse to the reason why they act that way

everyone doesnt just attack for no reason, there is always a fear which provokes the action, pretty much just a chain reaction that starts off with fear, Hate just being one of many forms of fear, hate being the cause, fear being the effect

#11 sanguine, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  12. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'd like to point out that Phobos is Greek, not Latin.

Ultimately, it's one of those words that doesn't really mean what it should mean. So although it should refer to an irrational fear of that which is the same (a fear things that don't change?), or an irrational fear of homosexuality, it actually refers to intolerance of homosexuality. Most homophobes do attempt to rationalise their intolerance of homosexuality. But a literal definition based on etymology does not always match current definitions. As has been stated, gay people are not always happy, nor are lesbians always Lesbians.

I understand the OP's argument, but I answer by explaining that the word doesn't really mean what it should mean. Remember that homophobia is not a mental disorder, so it has no reason to conform to the medical definition of a phobia.

13. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the modern sense it means an irrational fear or hatred of homosexual persons - and the modern sense is honestly all that really matters.

14. Mogget

When homophobes complain about the term (for the same reasons as the OP), I like to switch to "homobigot."

15. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so you're homophobicphobic?

teehee =P

I don't mind the word, 'phobic' always meant fear or hatred to me.

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I hate the word, however, I continue to use it. Let's face it, heterosexism doesn't have the same punch.

17. sguyc

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

--YODA, Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

18. Aldrick

I believe it is highly overused. I believe homophobia exists, but homophobia is a mental disorder like all phobias. Homophobia is an irrational fear of gay people, and in all honesty I think it afflicts more gay people (particularly closeted gay people) than straight people. Fear of coming into contact with someone who is gay for someone who is closeted can elicit fear because it puts them at risk for being outed, and could make them uncomfortable because it reminds them of what they're hiding. It certainly exists in straight people as well though; but their fears in my opinion tend to be even more irrational. (Along the lines of: "They will try and rape my children." or "What if one of them touches me or tries to hit on me!?")

Someone who is homophobic has a tendency to go out of their way to avoid gay people out of fear. Homophobia is always, in my mind, classified by fear.

However, when it is used - and it really irks me when the word homophobia is used this way - it is often referring to hatred or dislike of gay people. Which in my mind is a completely separate issue all together.

When I encounter this type of behavior I call it what it is: bigotry. Someone who displays irrational hatred or dislike for a group or class of people is a bigot. Plain and simple.

I think it is certainly possible for someone to hate, dislike, AND fear gay people. So, I think bigotry and homophobia can sometimes exist together in the same individual. However, in most cases when people use the word "homophobic" they really mean (and should use) the word "bigot" instead. If someone is both homophobic and a bigot they should be classified as such: "He is a homophobic bigot."

19. PurpleCrab

I disagree!! I believe the hate of homosexuality and such really originates from a fear, though it's not that clear on the surface.

Say, the hillbillies who have been raised to hate LGBT. They originally feared to be rejected by their families and friends if they don't join in and put down gay people.

Some homophobic people are afraid, deep down, that their latent bisexuality might come out and they are too much of a coward to face this. How many bisexual people had sex for the first time with the same sex (or had a crush on) before beating down the person to make sure they wouldn't speak?

Combine fear with ignorance, a bit of insecurity, and you get plain old hate. That's homophobia for you. I find the homophobes to be quite pitiful if you ask me and the term to be just right for its meaning.

20. Aldrick

I don't think hate originates out of fear. I believe hate and fear can both originate out of ignorance, but fear and hate are both completely separate feelings that can be held both individually and together.