1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Highschool Soon...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by secretguyX, Aug 13, 2012.

1. secretguyX

I'm starting highschool in about 2 weeks, and I'm kinda nervous... I only have friends in a few of my classes (that I know of). Like I've looked on facebook, and besides those few friends, I can't even find strangers in my classes. Plus I'm taking mostly advanced classes. Meh, I'm really nervous actually. It's just 9th grade in this campus though, cause it's split up...

Oh, and I can't decide on whether to take band or art. All my friends want me to take band (cause they're in it) and I would love to see them everyday. But even though band's great, it really stresses me out. And I'd have it first period every single day. I really love art as well. I don't know what to do :eusa_doh:

Any tips on highschool? :confused:

2. colorful

Do what YOU want to do. I promise you will eventually make new friends. I left my sophomore year with a different set of close friends than I went in with (though I still talk to them). Those are the people that I am still friends with now. Your class will probably get closer over the years. Your classes will change. If you are an art kid and it will stress you out less I would definitely take art. Also art teachers are generally pretty cool. Haha.

I would say in general don't procrastinate. Don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself (in a good way) that is how you will find your true friends. :slight_smile: Talk to your teachers. They are your friends too.

3. itsjoanna

Hey! Don't worry, I know it seems really intimidating but don't worry about it. Just don't look so lost. LOL. You'll make really great friends :slight_smile: If you don't like meeting new people, just talk to people sitting near you. And your friends will make new friends, introduce yourself to them.

As to band and art, choose what you want. Band is amazing. Band is my favourite class! I play the saxophone, and my teacher is really funny, so I'm going to take it throughout. Art, if you really like it, do it. Don't make your friends decide for you. You have to do what you want.

Freshman year is really fun, so don't stress yourself out. Ask your teachers if you need help. Just do it, it's going to be worth it.

#3 itsjoanna, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had band 1st period for 4 years.. I loved band, but I hated having it in the morning.
    I would just take whatever course that you feel more comfortable with. I'm sure that your friends would understand. You can't let your friends make the decision for you.

Humm.. tips on high school..
    I think that the golden rule of making it through high school is "Don't be stupid". If something sounds like a bad idea, it probably is.
    Another thing... don't stress yourself out too much. If you need help don't be afraid to ask for it.

5. prism

High school was awesome, best years of my life so far. My only regret is that I wasn't a better student. Work hard, join clubs, and campaign for board positions. You'll be glad you did when you start applying for college.

You just have to put yourself out there. Be open to everything, even if you think you don't like it, and have a good attitude. If you meet someone you don't like, move on without saying anything. Making enemies isn't worth it and the gossip isn't worth it.
    You'll see your friends around campus, so take classes that you want to take. Being in a class with students you don't know will force you to meet new people. I don't want to come across as conceited, but I was fortunate enough to be semi-popular. However, I didn't give a crap what anyone thought about me and I was also constantly trying to push myself outside of my comfort zone. If someone was sitting alone during my lunch period, I would drag them over to eat with my friends. Everyone will be as nervous and hesitant as you, so be the person to break that awkward silence!

Protip: Band requires band practice and performances outside school hours. They might even make you go to performances to write papers and shit. As a lazy student and art school alumnus, take art! ;P

Also, if your high school doesn't have a Breast Cancer Awareness Club, start one. Then send me a postcard from Harvard.

Message me if you have more specific questions. :thumbsup:

6. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My biggest regret in high school was not being involved enough in clubs, organizations, sports, ect. Go for it. Being in high school would have been great for me had I been more open to others and been involved in many things. Seriously, even though my high school experience overall was so-so, take advantage of the fact that you're young and don't have to deal with bigger issues in life. Have fun but don't do anything dumb either (*hug*)

7. Flow

I also regret not being so involved with clubs, orgs etc when I was in high school. I chose to do things with my friends instead of doing things I wanted. Do what YOU want, you'll find a way to make time for your friends. It's high school, you have 4 years of it. Don't forget about your classes, but remember to enjoy high school. Just be smart about it.

8. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't worry about friends in high school. You'll find that people change a lot in that time. The people you thought you knew will turn out to be something else. And when all is said and done, after high school, you'll lose touch with most people anyway. So do whatever you want to. Don't let these people define your life. It's not worth it. It may seem like a big deal now to please your "friends," but they'll all be dust in the wind in a few years.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but it's true. Just trying to keep you from getting your hopes up about what high school is. It's most people's worst years of their lives.

9. SkyDiver

My biggest piece of advice on high school?

Under every circumstance, do everything you possibly can to stay out of all drama. Don't start it and don't spread it. I've tried my hardest and it's helped to make high school so much funner than it could be. It's not worth it to have people disliking you at every corner. But if someone dislikes you for no reason, just laugh and move on. They're the one with the problem.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll have a blast. :slight_smile:

#9 SkyDiver, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  10. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

How to succeed in high school really depends on the person and their exact circumstances. As an academically inclined, introverted nerd going to a small, rural school, I found the biggest challenge I faced was staying motivated. My advice, then, is to make sure you have something that keeps you going even when you would rather quit. For me, it was band and, for my last couple years, remembering that college was just around the corner. Having a social support network also helps with this.

Also, remember that it's just four years of your life. At my school, there was a lot of pressure to think of high school as being the best time of your life, the perfect balance between freedom to do as you please and freedom from responsibility. I don't doubt that some people really do enjoy high school that much, but if you don't, that's perfectly acceptable, too.

11. Silvails52

High school shouldn't be a problem. But get involved. Please. It can get stressful, but you will make loads of new friends. I was in the choir and musical, and the people there became my second family. High school is only as bad or as good as you make it. But be yourself. Don't let anyone change who you are.