1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about transgender?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SohoDreamer, Aug 15, 2012.

1. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I just want to start off by saying I have no problems with it whatsoever, and I don't mean any offence by this post. I'd just like some information so Ivan be less ignorant of the subject.

So, a while ago, I remember surfing channels and coming across some stupid reality TV show set on a beach. I was bored, so I watched it for a little bit. As fa as I can recall, the guys were doing challenges to win the affections of this beautiful woman. Anyway, the big reveal was that the woman used to be a guy, which she tells to the group of guys at the end.

Now, this woman looked completely like a woman. There were no signs of masculinity, no stubble, no.. Anything. I don't know how to describe in more detail, but she just looked exactly like a woman.

Based on the above, and my ignorance, up until recently I always thought that if a man wanted to become a woman (or vice versa) it was extremely simple, all they had to do was go to surgery and a few hours - voila! Sex changed, all in a days work. Easy.

But, having read the stories of some on this site, it seems that there are long transition periods, and often it's not even possible to fully change. Sorry for not having a completely specific question but could someone just maybe enlighten me a bit more on vein transgender? I'd like to be educated on the subject. Is it possible for a man to completely become a woman (physically I mean) with absolutely NO signs that she once had a male body?

Thank you c:

2. GreenRaven

Transgender is an umbrella term for anyone who is outside of the gender 'norm'. A transsexual is a person who was born as one gender, but they identify internally as the other. So a transgirl is someone who was born into a male body, but identifies as a female. Similarly, a transguy is someone who was born into a female body, but identifies as a male (like me! :grin:)

Transitioning. In most cases, in order to transition, one must go through therapy with someone who specializes or has experience working with gender identity issues to be able to receive the oh so longed for letter. This letter is their ticket into a whole new world of emotions and life-changing events. It is the letter that says that he/she has proven that they are mentally stable, and wish to live their life as the gender opposite their birth, and gives their consent for this person to begin Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT). For transgirls, it's estrogen. For transguys, it's testosterone.

As with all things, different people react at varying levels to the hormones they are given. Some begin to see changes within 3 months of beginning hormones, some have to wait a year. I am not sure what exactly happens with MTFs (male to females, transgirls) when they are on estrogen other than developing breast tissue...you'd have to wait for one of the lovely ladies on here to respond. For FTMs (female to males, transguys) changes that occur can be voice dropping, fat distribution changing, growth of facial/body hair where there was priorly none, and they tend to be able to build muscle a little easier on T. Of course there's also the dreaded acne that some guys get, but it is easily taken care of just as when you were originally going through puberty.

Generally, a therapist will want to see you anywhere from 3 months to a year before writing your letter, each therapist has their own policy as there is no law stating that someone has to be in therapy for x amount of time before they can be given the O.K. for hormones. However, some places offer Informed Consent, where the patient will sign a consent form that they understand the effects and risks of taking this hormone, and will walk away from that appointment hormones in hand, no therapy taken.

Other than HRT, there is surgery that can be done in order to help a person pass more easily as the gender they identify as. Surgery, however, DOES require a letter from a therapist, as well as a doctor stating that you are in good health, and tend to require that you have been living as that gender for at least a year. Hormones are not always required in order to have surgery.

So, yes, it is possible for a man to completely become a woman with absolutely NO physical signs of ever being a male. Estrogen causes breast growth, and there is also breast augmentation surgery, as well as bottom surgery that takes the penis, somehow inverts it or something of the sort, and turns it into a vagina (so to speak). I am not sure as to sensations during sex or whatever, but I would imagine there would still be some. For facial hair there is laser removal, adam's apple there is body sculpting, and they can train themselves to talk in a higher pitched voice naturally to even sound more feminine.

One of the major problems with transitioning is cost. Surgery is not cheap, and is not yet covered by most insurances. Top surgery for an FTM generally ranges around $6k, bottom a lot more than that (don't remember the exact pricing). I am not sure on pricing for MTF surgeries. Hormones also can be expensive if you do not have insurance.

hmm....idk what else to say really.....if you have any other questions feel free to ask, and any of you other transguys/girls here feel free to chip in if i left something out or correct me if i messed something up :grin:

3. Hot Pink

First of all, no it's not that easy. The media likes to portray it as a weekend visit to the surgeon, but it's not that easy. You have to see a therapist for at least three months, then you go see a doctor that will prescribe hormones to you, then depending on when you start living as a woman full-time you may get SRS (sex reassignment surgery) after you've lived as a woman for a year. Not all doctors will prescribe hormones. Most will refuse based on "moral reasons." It's the same for surgeons for SRS. There's only a few states you can go to in the US where you can find SRS surgeons: California and Colorado are some of them.

As for if they'll look completely like a girl when it's over, it depends on the person. The younger you transition, the higher the chance you'll look like a woman. It also depends on your skeletal structure. Men and women have different skeletons, but there is often variation. For instance, I developed very feminine hips from a wide pelvis. I also don't have an eyebrow ridge. These help in allowing me to pass easier than most. If someone has a pretty masculine face, they may also need FFS (facial feminization surgery). Some might not develop large enough breasts and require breast augmentation.

It all depends on the person and how much money they're willing to spend on their body. Most trans people tend to be poor, though, due to them having difficulties finding employment. Even the ones that do often get rejected for health care insurance, so they have to pay for everything out of pocket. It's a difficult life, so I find the Hollywood version of transition cheapens our struggle and also reinforces the idea that people transition based on whims rather than having years upon years to think about it.

Edit: Green Raven beat me to it.

#3 Hot Pink, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  4. GreenRaven

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but you provided more info on the MTF side, so it's all good :grin:

5. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you guys sooooo much! Love you both for the incredible answers<3