1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting People Like Me

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nugget96, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Nugget96

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey :slight_smile:

I wasn't really sure where this thread would fit so I apologize if it's in the wrong place. I came out to my parents and few of my friends a couple of days ago and a common question that has come up is 'how are you going to meet other girls'. I don't really know the answer to that question. I haven't worked out if I'm a lesbian or Bisexual yet but I know that I would like a relationship with a girl. The only problem is meeting a girl who is into girls. As I am only 16 I can't really go out to meet people so I have to find other ways :/

If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Dewey

I'm 19, and I don't even know the answer to that question. Even though I am old enough to go to clubs/bars, I would much rather not go to those places to meet people. So like you, my question is also where can I go to meet other gays like me? I'm dying to know someone else who's in my boat, even if it's just a friendship.

3. paul

Yeah honestly for relationships long term, the club would definitely not be the best place to go. But you never know, there may be people just like you there who don't know where else to go to meet potential partners. I would suggest asking your friends if they know anyone, which would depend on where you live. Metropolitan areas have larger gay populations than rural areas. Seeing though that you are 16, you will definitely have a limited pool. When you turn 18, try signing up for Match or Plenty of Fish (Plenty of Fish is free, Match is not. You would be surprised how many people are on there.E Harmony has a special website just for gays but all the reviews are terrible. On ###, you can search and look at up to 3 profiles for free. It can be just fun to look. Until then, best of luck
    Paul

4. Nugget96

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hahaha, yeah I think even if I was old enough to go to bars and clubs I wouldn't really want to meet people there. I am the only person round here that I know is at least Bi so thats why I wanted to ask people on here. I think just having someone to talk to would be great :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. castle walls

If you're in school you could try joining or starting a LGBT club. You could also look to see if there are any meet ups in your community. You could look online or call your local LGBT center.

Also, you don't need to attend a LGBT specific event to meet people. You could join new clubs, try new hobbies, take a new class, etc. There is a chance that the people you meet may be LGBT or will know LGBT people to introduce you to

6. Nugget96

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really know if there is a LGBT centre around here. The area of England I live in is not really known for that kind of thing :/ My school also doesn't have anything like that and the number of gay/bi students is severely lacking. I only know of 2 people who are out at the moment and they are both guys.

7. castle walls

If you increase your social circle (you could try going out more, trying new hobbies, joining clubs, playing a sport, volunteering, etc), there is a good chance that you'll eventually meet an LGBT person

8. paul

Well I am going to take a wild guess and say that the two gay guys you know most likely know some lesbians as well. Who knows, may be a worth a shot

[​IMG]

sorry, im a sucker for a double entendre

9. Nugget96

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah I know I should go out more but me being me I would find it difficult to start a club or something on my own :/ Maybe I could get a friend to join with me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm a shy person so talking to new people is also quite hard. I will take you're advice and make more friends but if there are other suggestions I am open :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 16th Aug 2012 at 12:45 AM ----------

Hahaha, I wouldn't know if they know anyone, I haven't actually asked them :S Maybe I should... haha.

10. castle walls

I'm shy as well so I think I get where you're coming from. What helped me is doing an activity when I tried to meet new people. For example, if you like rock climbing you could join a rock climbing club. It doesn't need to be a physical activity either. If you like reading you could join a book club.

Also, I just noticed you're new. Welcome to EC!

11. Nugget96

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you :slight_smile: I will have to look around the area and see what things there are. I know that as soon as I get to talking with someone that is interesting I can keep talking for as long as needed but starting a conversation can be kinda awkward for me :/ I'm glad to know I'm not the only shy one out there :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. castle walls

You definitely are not the only shy person on this site. I hope you feel welcome here!

When I'm starting a conversation, I usually make a comment or ask a question about the shared activity (to use my previous examples rock climbing or the book the club is reading) or something that I noticed in the environment. That is usually a good starting place

13. Nugget96

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well so far I do feel welcome :slight_smile:

First I have to find an activity. I have just been looking at the local library for some idea of whats going on there. I'm thinking I might just take a trip there on Friday and see what happens. I doubt I will meet anyone but its worth a shot right?

14. Ventus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's something I struggle with myself. Every once in a while I'll take a trip to a pride parade or gay themed event somewhere.

Surprisingly, I meet many gays and lesbians at Videogame/anime conventions.

15. Nugget96

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm, too bad there aren't many of those around here :/ I think the area I live in doesn't help things much.