1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would ever be with someone who was in an open relationship?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SriManayaDasan, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Whether it is for a hook-up, being friends with benefits or being someone's "third"; could you see yourself being with someone who was in an open relationship?

One year ago I easily would have given an outstanding "NO!", but now I think that as long as all participating people are consenting, safe and aware of what is happening, then what is the harm?

So my answer is yes.

* Excuse the title. It should read "Could you ever be..."

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, but it could pretty much only be if I wanted sex. I feel like if I wanted friendship and sex, I would have to move into the world of monogamy.

3. SkyDiver

Definately not. I want the person I'm with to be fully mine and me to be fully theirs.

4. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

No, I could not. I am not interested in sex outside of a serious relationship, so it just wouldn't work. I might consider having an open relationship myself or even a polyamorous one once I'm more mature, but the key thing in those cases is that I would still love the person or people I'm with. Loving someone in an open but not poly relationship would be...problematic, to say the least.

5. Pinstripe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've had enough casual sex to know that it's not for me. I had a sort-of friend with benefits at one point, and it wasn't as fun as I thought it would be.

6. Aria

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've been in an open relationship, though it wasn't so much a relationship as it was a sort of casual sex thing. I was never really emotionally attached to the person. If it were to mean I have to share someone I care about with another person, never. I don't like sharing people who hold my heart.

7. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Absolutely, definitively NO. I could never "share" the person I love, emotionally and physically.

8. Mackattack

Mackattack Guest

No! My ex gf asked me about this once and it's just not something I'd do.

9. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  10. brocub

I already have, so it's not like I can say no. He was my dealer for a while and he and his wife are both bi, with kids, and have an open relationship so they can both explore the full potential of their sexualities.

11. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with someone who's in an open relationship right now. I'd describe myself as 'single' since we are only friends who screw.

I don't get jealous, open relationships are a non issue for me.

12. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have a problem with it either, as long as all parties involved are equally in it for the same reasons, otherwise they'd just be friends with benefits.

13. FJ Cruiser

Can I get a heck no!

14. sanguine

+1

I want to value one person only and expect the same thing in return, mind, body and soul, if I wanted sex I would be single and roaming, not in a relationship.

15. Aldrick

It depends highly upon the individuals involved and whether or not everything is upfront and on the table. I'm not keen on being a home wrecker, so if his boyfriend / husband knows about me and is alright about the idea I might consider it. Strangely, I'd feel more comfortable if the guy I was with had a wife instead of a husband / boyfriend.

I couldn't really be 'friends' with the people involved, and still keep my emotional distance. So, our relationship would basically be fuck buddies and nothing beyond that, and would end once I got into a relationship of my own. (The exception being, of course, if my boyfriend wanted to get involved on the action... then we'd have the potential for a foursome I guess.)

I'd never consider being someone's "third" - as in a sort of brother husband / brother boyfriend type of deal. I'd consider TAKING a third, but not BEING a third. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. PurpleCrab

Hi! :smilewave

Yes I would consider meddling with an open couple if the current passes well between the 4 of us (me and my wife are in an open relationship too) and it would actually be a good solution for friends too.
    When you're a married couple it's always nice to be friends with other married couples... I don't know... makes less bitterness?

Also it already happened to us once but we're not friends anymore because of a reason other than the sex. A difference in values to great to pass over, that was.

Oh and... I wouldn't have a third party come in as a equal in feelings and all. They can be friends, we can feel lots of affection and such, but not the type of love that you'd marry someone over.

17. Snowy

Snowy Guest

I don't think I ever could be. One, I'm pretty asexual, and two, a relationship implies that you have feelings for that person, and if I did, then I wouldn't really want to share him.

18. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    not necessarily romantic ones

19. vyvance

No chance.

20. tom100

I would normally have said a definite 'no'. But right now, going through a difficult and emotionally draining period, I have - I think the best word is - an ache, to have some close contact with another man. It wouldn't need to involve sex, but just a close contact would be a real comfort.