1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

autosexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ameliawesome, Aug 16, 2012.

1. ameliawesome

So I think about this sometimes and thought it might be interesting to discuss. I wonder how much homosexuality factors into autosexuality.

I hadn't even considered the term autosexuality until tonight when I decided to ask Google about being attracted to oneself. Most of the results were autosexuality vs asexuality. I have, at times in my life, wondered if I'm asexual. I do have a sex drive, though. It's typically low, but I'm no Dr. Sheldon Cooper. I can easily and happily go without any romantic or sexual activities for looooong periods of time. However, I am also easily turned on by women I find attractive, plus I was curious about being sexual with a man, so I no longer wonder about being asexual. Now, I'm not gonna play modest here, I'm a good looking person. I receive compliments on my looks often. I find myself attractive, like I would totally ask me out. But is that more closely related to narcissism or homosexuality? Is autosexuality something entirely separate? I do not hold my appearance over people or make anyone feel bad about their own appearances, I see the beauty in everything, so I'm definitely not a true narcissist by definition. So what about you guys, would you want to date yourself (based on physical attraction alone)? Any insight on autosexuality or an opinion of it/the term itself (because sometimes terms drive people crazy)?

2. pecanpie447

Out Status:
    Some people
    never heard of autosexuality. interesting. i guess i better consider this also about myself. as i lose weight, im finding myself more attractive, but idk about labeling that autosexuality for myself.
    as a psychologist, i must say i find this interesting.

3. Ridiculous

Autosexuality falls into the same family of definitions as heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, and so on. Autosexual means you are only attracted to yourself and not to anyone else, much the same as homosexual means you are only attracted to people of the same gender and not to anyone else.

Some people may show some degree of self-attraction, but unless you never feel anything for anyone else, autosexual isn't an appropriate word to describe yourself.

4. BudderMC

Interesting; I've never heard of autosexual (oh, the things you learn on this site...)

Are you attracted to specifically yourself? Would you be attracted to someone else who looked almost identical to you?

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always thought autosexuality was having the hots for your car :slight_smile:

6. pecanpie447

Out Status:
    Some people
    yeah dude, what if you had a twin?

yeah, im not autosexual... neither homo or hetero. definitely pan, with a few exceptions. i am attracted to who im attracted to no matter anything about them haha.

7. Ridiculous

That's mechanophilia :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

8. Pain

Pain Guest

According to my dictionary, autosexuality is just pretty much masturbating, but I understand what you mean. I might just call it narcissism though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: In that case, I am very autosexual :wink:

9. ameliawesome

i wouldn't consider it part of my own identity, but i find it interesting. for me it's really that i am attracted to women and i am a woman. i am attracted to people other than myself for sure, lol. it seems like autosexual would be related to homosexual, but if there's no attraction for anybody other than oneself then gender doesn't really matter, does it. i'd be interested to talk to somebody who identifies as autosexual, but like many of you i'd never even heard of it until i posted this. i entered the term into google thinking i may have made it up, haha.

10. pecanpie447

Out Status:
    Some people
    haha, nice! do you do that with random words often?

11. ameliawesome

Lol oddly enough, when they make sense. Auto means self, and I figured it's likely that some people are sincerely self-attracted.