1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was on a chatroom today and..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mimerio, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Mimerio

Someone asked me and another user:
    "Would you pick a girl with big breasts or small breasts?"
    I said: "Neither, I'm gay"
    The other user said: Lol f*g (i dont know if I should censor this or not, but I have done for my own reasons)
    I said: Well that's not nice

He then compared gays as a whole to paedophiles.

What do you lot think of this outrageous comment?

2. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I makes me sick. Just because a couple of catholic priests molested boys, now every gay person is a paedophile. What a sick comparison. To think there are ten times more paedophiles that are straight!

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    he's a douche and a troll. Laugh, pity maybe, but no point being angry. Idiots will be idiots.

4. sanguine

I would have told him to fuck off, and that his mums vagina is loose and he knows it

5. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really think anything about such comments. Sure, people like that infest chatrooms and comment sections, but they're all of them beneath me.

So whenever such things happen... I just carry on carefree and as if I don't even hear or read the comment. The more they're saying things like those, the more they're making fools of themselves, after all.

6. Romi

Well there's no point in getting angry over it, even if it hurt a bit. And there is certainly no sense is insulting someone like that back. Violence only breeds more violence. And hatred only breeds more hate. So...in essence, you do nothing. Let it roll of your back like water on a duck.

And for those of you who think doing nothing is easy....try again.

As for what I think of the comment...it's childish. As simple as that. I obviously have no facts to use as a basis for this user and his life, nor do I need them. Regardless of what he believes, a comment like that is just immature. Immaturity should not be met with more immaturity, as it too often is.

Meh.

7. shy

shy

He'd better not tried this in a face to face conversation. Here, I could get him accused on discrimination of minorities (and definitely would).

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Agreed. You have to pick your battles in order to not overwhelm yourself. This is just some kid bored at night trying to "have fun". Its not worse than kids on xbox live.

9. Pain

Pain Guest

Just a troll. Don't feed them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. blightedsight

I guess, if I was in a situation where everything else was the same, intelligence, knowledge base, eye colour, skin colour, hair colour, height, waiseline etc., I would pick smaller boobies.

11. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hahahahah, I laughed so hard at this. Maybe OP should have told him that if he makes that comment, it speaks something of his personality, A Deep in-the-closet homophobic that yearns to play with little boy's ding-dongs

12. SkyDiver

I think I know exactly what website you're talking about, and I'm not surprised.

To be honest it doesn't really offend me either. They're all just trolls desperate for attention because they don't get it in the real world. Just laugh it off and be thankful that you're not that low. :slight_smile:

13. Hazel

Doesn't seem like a comment worth paying attention to. Some people can't be reasoned with about a stance they hold, and if they're not anyone you actually need to reason with or be around just let them go on their merry way.

Hope your future chat experiences are better.

14. Ventus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's sad because there are people out there who truly believe that all gays are in some way pedophiles. Ignorance and chain emails

15. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

I think he's an asshole.:dry:

16. ameliawesome

sounds like that idiot would need tons of luck to get any breasts at all. like others have said, it's not worth it to waste your energy worrying about a stupid comment from an ignorant person. plenty of people know that pedophilia is not exclusive to gay people and the people who think otherwise really are just stupid assholes.

17. Aldrick

Honestly, it doesn't bother me at all. Like some others have said, it can only bother you if you let it. When you realize that people who act this way are doing it only to get under your skin and make you angry, it creates a motivation to not let it happen because you're giving them exactly what they want.

Here are some ways to deal with it.

Method One: This is the best way to deal with it, because it is the most effective. First, consider the source. This person is more-or-less a stranger. They hold no serious value. So, why do you even care? If the person is ignorant, then you have the opportunity to set them right. If the person is stupid (and there is a fine line between ignorance and stupidity), then their opinions shouldn't matter at all.

Picture this person as a dog or some other animal, especially one that is easy to ignore and irrelevant. You might notice the barking of a dog, and you might pause for a moment to determine whether or not the dog appears to be hostile. However, you are not going to dwell on the fact that a dog doesn't enjoy your presence. It doesn't matter, the dogs feelings and opinions are irrelevant. This person is a hairless monkey whose only marginally superior intelligence has allowed him to type out the word fag. So what?

Just ignoring the insulter entirely is a completely valid method of dealing with the individual. Carrying on as if nothing had happened or was said is advantageous because it doesn't require you to think of a response at all. This is one of the best ways to respond, because not only are we robbing the insulter of the pleasure of making us angry, we are leaving him uncertain whether or not we were even insulted. In either case, it deprives him of what he wanted and thus upsets him.

It works best if you can communicate in some small way that you heard the person, and that you are purposefully ignoring their insult to be dismissive of them. A slight dismissive chuckle and carrying on with whatever you're doing is usually enough.

Method Two: Of course, the first method is sometimes easier said than done. Occasionally, people do find a way to get under our skin despite our best efforts. The best way to respond then, I find, is with mockery and humor.

He says, "LOL. You're a fag."
    So respond to him with, "Holy shit. You're right. It must be all the dick I suck that causes me to be like this. Thanks for pointing it out! LOL."

By laughing it off and mocking the individual who intended to insult you, you redirect the anger and hatred intended at you back at them. They get angry that you mocked them and that their insult didn't work.

----

It's important to remember that when people say stuff like this over the internet, it's generally to get a rise out of you, to make you angry. Most of these people wouldn't have the guts to say half of what they write online. In person when someone insults you in some way, it's generally to diminish you so that they feel superior. It's a judgement about how small they feel as a person.

Online, it's easier to handle these issues. In real life it's more difficult. The main reason being is the time it takes to respond. Frequently, when we're insulted it's about something we're insecure about - something we're ashamed of. "Wow, you're a fag." Is a great example. If you are actually gay, and you're ashamed of that fact, then if someone calls you out on it you're likely to freeze up. Coming up with a response is difficult; this is generally why the first method is easiest and frequently the most appropriate.

The best advice is just to become comfortable with who you are; if you're comfortable with being gay then if someone calls you a fag - even if they said it out of pure hatred - then it can't hurt you. Why? Because you know it speaks more about who they are than who you are as a person, and let's face it - it's not a lie. They're simply telling you something that you already know to be true.

Finally, if something someone says DOES get under your skin, and you use one of these methods then there is an added bonus. The person who attempted to hurt you is likely someone you - at least in that moment - dislike a great deal. Knowing that you mocked them in some way, and weren't impacted by their insult in the way that they wanted likely causes them distress. They likely get angry and want to lash out even more. One thing I enjoy doing in these situations is visualizing their anger and frustration.

There is a word for this, it's called schadenfreude. It means to derive pleasure from the pain or misfortune of others. I like to savor the thought that someone I dislike is suffering or in pain because of something I did and said; if my mere existence upsets them then I take enjoyment in this fact.

Doing this is a great way to erase the negativity you experience. Instead of being angry, frustrated, or insulted; you instead feel amused and pleased.

18. Mimerio

Thanks everyone for all your answers and helpful tips, I guess I was a little sensitive in the issue.

19. Aria

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would have responded with, "More than Richard Simmons in a rainbow leotard."

20. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

Comments like that should just be brushed aside because we all know that that person was just trying to push your buttons, and that's not cool at all.