1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cool stuff in NYC?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BudderMC, Aug 18, 2012.

1. BudderMC

Hey EC! It seems I'm headed on vacation to New York city on Monday with my mom and brother. Now, they already went back in March for a wedding and did some sightseeing that time, so they're pretty much giving me reign over what we do (if there's anything that I want to do).

So, can anyone give me a rundown of some awesome things to do in NYC? Anything from tourist-y stuff to little hidden gems to cultural things to whatever; I'm not picky. (if there's photographic potential that's even better)

Thanks guys!

2. Aria

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    What sort of stuff do you like? There's always museums, the Circle Line, the bus tours, Broadway and Off-Broadway, China Town, Central Park. I think Monday starts Air Force week where you can meet the men and women who serve over at the Intrepid.

And there's always amazing shopping to be done in the city. If you're a Gordon Ramsay fan, he has two restaurants that are amazing eats, though they are a little on the fancier side.

3. Hiems

Chinatown, Palisades Center, Manhattan Mall, and Cross County Shopping Center were the places I often went when I lived in New York. Chinatown is great - there are lots of restaurants to pick from. I miss eating duck and seafood congee and drinking bubble tea... gah T_T;

4. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well there's the obvious touristy stuff like Enpire State Building, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, Central Park and the big museums. And you should go to some of them - they're good.

One thing I do recommend is just taking the subway to different areas and exploring around each one. NYC has huge diversity. I'd recommend going to Union Square, Greenwich Village, East Village, Soho, Wall Street in Manhattan, among others.

Also try going to Brooklyn. Brooklyn Heights and Williansburg are really nice.

The highline is pretty cool too.

5. Aria

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ooooh. Yes, if you are all willing to venture outside of Manhattan, the Cross County Shopping Center and the Palisades are a must. I always take my friends who come visit me to the Palisades at least once. Everything you can imagine is in there. Arcades, stores, restaurants, book shops, ice cream, bowling, movies. You name it, it's there.

6. Epipleptic

You can walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. On a clear day, the views of the harbor are fantastic. It's on a wooden walkway and you get to see the bridge up close and on the Brooklyn side there's a park nearby on the East River with nice views of Downtown Manhattan, check out a map to find it. Walking back to Manhattan there are nice views again.

The Frick Collection is pretty cool, too. It's an art museum in Henry Clay Frick's mansion on the Upper East Side. What makes it interesting is that the art is arranged not according period or style as you find is other museums, but according to how Frick wanted the art hung in his own home. It's not overwhelmingly big and I had a nice, relaxing day there a few years ago.

I mention this because I just so happened to have walked down there a few day ago, but you may want to go to Christopher Street to see the Stonewall Inn, I think there's a park with a monument nearby. There are some sex shops in the area, just letting you know because you said you're with your mom and brother.

7. dreamcatcher

Well I'm a bit of a museum nerd so I loved the Museum of Natural History! MoMA is also a good place to go to. You should definitely check them out. In regards to broadway, if you're a student, you can get tickets for a lot cheaper during rush (which is usually in the morning) So if you do want to go to broadway, bring your student ID! You could also go to Greenwich Village. It's very artsy over there, they have lots of food, and lots of fellow lgbt people around. But then again, they also have a couple of sex shops over there so you might not want to take your mom and brother there...:lol: Bryant park is really nice and they also have a film festival going on there so you could check it out too if you're into films.

8. Aria

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ah, yes. Film Festisvals are going on that week as well. Those can be an experience if you've never been.

9. BudderMC

Woah, lots of suggestions! Thanks everyone!

I know for sure we're going to Chinatown because they said they wanted to visit again. I think my brother wants to hit up Broadway too; they went to see Wicked last time but I wouldn't mind going. I don't think the sex shops and things is a big deal, it might be a little awkward but I'm sure there'd just be some laughs afterwards.

I think we're staying in Manhattan, but I know we considered staying in other parts so I'm guessing we're more than willing to leave to sightsee. And I'm almost positive we're going to trek everywhere by subway, just because it's cheaper and it's so fun, lol.

Question: I was going to bring my backpack so I can carry stuff if we're going to be out the whole day, but my mom's convinced I'm going to get mugged or something. Is that a realistic fear?

10. Aria

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Nah, I wouldn't worry about it. Places like Union Square and such are actually around a bunch of universities, so walking around with backpacks, and touristy areas have a bunch of people with large bags.

Now, if you planned to go into the pits of some dark alley in a shady town alone, I'd say her fears are realistic. However, the only real trouble I see is if you enter a store, they may wanna peek in your bag before you leave to make sure you aren't shoplifting.

11. BudderMC

^ sweet, a backpack will make life easier, for me at least.

Also, does anyone have any good places to eat? Doesn't have to be big-name, could just be little hole-in-the-wall type of places... I might just be thinking of this because I'm really hungry at the moment, but I'm always down for some good food.

12. prism

Definitely hit some food trucks. Whenever someone visits me in the city, I take them to the Halal truck on 53rd Street and 6th Avenue. Halal trucks are all over the city, but this one is supposed to be the best. Chicken and rice! Plus, this corner is across the street from the MOMA, and few blocks away from Radio City Music Hall, Rockefeller Center, and Central Park.

Protip: Wear comfortable shoes.

13. nydtc

Empanadas Mama 9th btw 51/52 street - good food like 4 bucks an empanada
    You could do Shake shack - too be able to say you did it
    I would say pick up a copy of time out ny - think you even get it on iTunes now. This will I've ideas for whats going on during the week ou are in town.
    I hear Silecene the musical is very good - its a send up of the movie.

14. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Try Five Guys. And yeah, some of the street food is excellent.

15. BudderMC

Food trucks! How could I forget?! Thank you Eat St. for hyping up my craving for some of those awesome trucks. Seems we don't have any around here, so I'm actually really stoked for that now.

Oh, definitely. I'd be so grumpy without them by the end of the day...

16. Ventus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nintendo world and M&M world are always fun.

17. Epipleptic

For food trucks, I've only had stuff from Wafels & Dinges, it was very good.

18. paul

Times Square and Broadway are a must for any visit. For the most popular musicals, they will most likely be sold out the day of. I saw Wicked and Shrek the Musical (Wicked is the best) and we went standby the day of. Same price and you would be surprised how many people who originally play on going don't show up. If you are on Time's Square, look for the large Mamma Mia sign. If you turn around the corner behind it, there is a really great Indian place that I have been a couple of times. Really cheap and really great.
    Have fun,
    Paul

FAO Schwartz and the Plaza Hotel as well

19. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went recently and just found it amazing. Definitely go to: Rockefeller Centre (Top of the Rock specifically, just beautiful), Central Park, visit the Plaza (try the breakfast in the Palm Court if you want but it is $$$ just warning), do the bus tours for sure and the 60-minute boat tour (you can do the 90 if you want but I personally don't see the point sorta), umm...what else...just explore as much as you can because it's all just amazing. And if you love Broadway...SEE IT. I saw Wicked five years ago in Toronto and thought it was amazing, but when I saw it in New York? It blew my mind to Oz :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

20. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you like cameras and movies then there is a really cool place called the American Museum of the Moving Image.

They have all kinds of old cameras and classic movie props. Also, when I when there, they had all kinds of interactive exhibits on the third floor.