1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay men = female avatars?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chimera, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Chimera

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, I'm certainly not complaining or anything :wink: I'm just really curious why many of you gay/bi/questioning men feature women in your avatar/icon!

2. BudderMC

I dunno really. I almost always play female characters in video games, unless it's one where you can "create-a-char", in which case I usually make it look like myself (except more badass, of course).

I remember hearing someone say that guys played female characters so that they'd have something "hot" to stare at while they were gaming. I guess by that logic playing a guy character would make me obviously gay? Though I've tried playing hot guy characters by that logic and found it stupid - I'd get distracted and end up dying :lol:

Honestly, I just gravitate towards them. I'm not opposed to playing a guy character, or not consciously opposed. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Because Edie Sedgwick is my idol. I've used her as an avatar almost exclusively. I just relate and empathize with her life, views, story and attitude a lot. And plus, she was stunningly beautiful and I can appreciate that.

I've used other people as my avatar before though. I had Dylan O'Brien from Teen Wolf before this, and Michael Alig, and Lana Del Rey before that. It just depends.

4. Rarar

I'm not sure why...it's kinda odd. In video games, I prefer to play as/make female character instead of male characters, yet I'm definitely gay. My avatar is Marina Diamandis from Marina and the Diamonds, whom I am I big fan of. She's also pretty hot, and I would deffo turn for her. :wink:

I just don't like creating guy characters...it's just dull to me, lol. Perhaps it's the feminine side of me that wants me to dress up/play as girls?

5. ForceAndVerve

In games I always play a male and my avatars are always "things" not people. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I don't think I would ever concider having a female avatar.

6. secretguyX

This is like the opposite of me. I'm a girl and I always make guy characters. Even if I can create my own character, I like creating a guy. Sometimes I choose a girl character instead, but rarely. I thought I was the only one who did stuff like this haha...

7. Hot Pink

I've noticed this too in passing. I never thought it was weird or anything, just something I found interesting. I always use female avatars, whether it's an image on a forum or a female character in a game. I like to immerse myself in a game and it's hard for me to do that with a male character.

8. sanguine

Because I can understand the appeal to women, even if its an overly sexualised display pic, that and it also helped cover up being gay in the past.

has nothing to do with being sexually attracted to the picture though. NOw I just use them to make a statement along with my IGN, people automatically gun me down as a femm and I couldnt give a damn what they think anyways

#8 sanguine, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  9. blightedsight

I tend to play female characters in games but thats usually because I'm not one for brute force, when playing games likes Street Fighter or Breath of Fire 3(you can tell what era of gamer I am), I prefer the more agile females - plus they're often the ones that can do the wicked awesome magic.

10. Hiems

I don't use female avatars on forums, but as others have stated, I also tend to play female characters in video games. Haha, I actually remember playing MvC2 with all female teams against my brothers. Morrigan + Felicia + B.B. Hood = Darkstalkers ♥! They always complain about me using female characters, but I think they were just pissed that I kicked their butts :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. King

King Guest

Because I prefer girls over boys. And although I'm sexually attracted to boys, I much prefer looking at women. That, and Mollie King is my obsession.

12. Chimera

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for the insight :slight_smile: Looking back, I realize I tend to pick or create male characters myself, mostly because I can relate to masculinity better than femininity. I'm loving meeting your role models, so keep up the conversation!

13. ForceAndVerve

I just realised, I have a straight friend who always plays female characters in games. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. BudderMC

That's actually really true. I think I find that oftentimes the female characters have better personalities or outfits/theming or weapons or skills or whatever.

15. Gen

Gen

I had a male avatar before Flonne(my current), but you cant pass up Flonne.

On a related note, I have came across the same question with the characters I created for stories or video games. In the series I am working on 80% of the "lead" characters are female. They arent stereotypical nor was it planned this way. I have learned that when you get an idea that you must created it exactly as it came to you, so if it so happens that I get an idea for a story and all the characters end up female, than I wouldnt even think to question it.

If I like a character, I use them. If I get a idea, I write it. So to answer the question, I would say it mere coincidence :/.

16. coolbreeze90

coolbreeze90 Guest

i had Tifa from FF7 as my PS3 avatar for a while...

but now its Squall from FF8 <3

17. confounded88

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This kind of reminds me of that Bruce Willis movie surrogates, because the men use female avatars and it it isn't uncommon. I like to!!!

18. Ventus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I always use male character avatars.

Always play as male characters as well.

19. brocub

The only time I really use female avatars is in Pokemon Crystal because the game is meant to be based on a female character.

Other than that, my avatars tend to be objects or phrases. I dunno. I just go with whatever theme I'm going with.

20. Pain

Pain Guest

Because Rydia is my all-time favorite character of any series.