1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rarar, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Rarar

...they'll ever teach about gay/lesbian sex in school as part of the syllabus? In an R.E. lesson once, when we did the 'Homosexuality' topic, someone asked how gay sex was performed and the (female) teacher went into a lo-oh-ot of detail about it. However, this was only because someone asked, albeit jokingly. But do you think that'll ever be taught 'normally'?

2. Gen

Gen

Realisticly, no. I wouldnt even argue because of the fact that it is LGBT, etc. But rather for the fact that the VAST majority of education around the world doesnt include and "real" sex education. People would rather lead children astray than suffer through awkward conversations lol.

3. Aria

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Considering regular sex ed is such a controversial subject, I wouldn't think so.

4. Romi

One can only hope. I would really like to think so.

5. prism

I agree with Gen. "Straight" sex isn't even properly taught. No matter how uncomfortable it is, it should be up to parents to give their children as much information as possible and be open to any and all questions.

6. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I think it could be taught, if our schools can grow up a little. But I can see states like California passing laws mandating that gay sex is talked about along with straight sex in class. I don't think it's impossible.

7. Sal

Sal Guest

I'm not sure about other schools, but last year in my health class we were taught safe sex for gay and straight intercourse. They even had pamphlets and a video that went along with it. There were some questions about it on our end of year exam too. So I think that it is a possibility in some schools at least.

8. Rarar

Well, in England, we're taught about straight sex quite a lot - once aged 11, once aged 12, then at 15/16, you're taught about safe sex, STIs etc. That's also when you learn about homosexuality properly in class, ie, how it's okay to be gay.

Sex Ed. isn't really a controversial topic here; it appears most parents are fine with how it's taught. So I was just wondering if they'd properly teach about gay sex, as straight sex is taught oh-so-regularly.

9. Rygirl

I think it's would be common sense to teach the two together, dispel the myths and make sure young people know the facts, therefore, at least in the UK, it's not going to happen. :bang:

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I barely got any straight sex education in school. All we did in my health class was watch "Be Kind Rewind"... I took the summer course though.

I don't think that it will be taught in my area for a long time. There were some people furious that their children even had to take the class to graduate high school. We had an anti-bullying section added to the school codes. Some people were mad because they could not bully LGBT people anymore...

11. Rarar

^^Well, they kinda teach it together, as they teach the course on pregnancy and STD/STIs at the same time as learning about gays....but the topic on the actual in-out-in-out s learnt way beforehand....

And we did the whole nine yards. Vaginas, penises, orgasms; we learnt everything under the sun.

12. I wish. However, as most other members have stated, straight sex isn't even covered correctly. They only taught me about "how it's wrong for somebody to touch your privates" in elementary school, made me watch a video of a girl giving birth in middle school, then talked about a handful STD's in high school. Somebody asked about how gay men have sex (but it was obvious they were joking) and the teacher sent them to the office.

13. ForceAndVerve

People seriously underestimate the importance of sex education. I think it should be made compulsory (if it isn't already). It wasn't when I was in school at least.

You see people ask a lot of questions (serious questions) on this forum and others and I really feel like this sort of thing should be universally taught at school.

And sexuality should be taught along side it as well.

14. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

I think, eventually, when straight sex has become less of a controversial subject, people will be more open to learning about how everyone else does it.:wink: No, not for a long time- but yes. Eventually..

15. Agreed

16. Ventus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had to watch a bunch of poorly made videos from the 70's. Actual intercourse was never discussed in detail.

17. starfish

Well it will happen, but it will be a while. I say another 100 years or so.

18. Fiddledeedee

Yes, and here at least I wouldn't be at all suprised if it happened within 30 years, though it could take longer. My school already teaches plenty about gay sex from year 9 onwards. For younger children, it wouldn't take very much -- just a couple minutes in the video they show us to explain that some men like making love (they never said "sex" in year 4!) to other men, ditto for women, and that's okay.

19. sanguine

Yes I know in NSW Australia they teach and educate about gay sex, in my final two years of high school they teach about it in physical ed classes, all you ever had to do was ask, even then they approach the topic of homosexuality when you begin to talk about AIDS/HIV.

I remember clearly my phys ed teacher telling us right after everyone joked about being gay that is was ok and we should be treated with respect, we even watched the move 'Philadelphia', to get that point across

20. Just Adam

Not in a million years.

Sex ed is a joke. Its a combination of dumb jokey videos and teenagers trying put on a play about sex.

They make it seem simple. " put condom on penis and shove in vagina " thats effectivly it done. They give no real details or relevant info.

Not once dis they mwntion same sex relations let alone sex.