1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Fortune Telling" & The Future

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by musikk021, Aug 19, 2012.

1. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if anyone else has heard of this or tried it, but the Chinese have this method of predicting how many children a person will have and the children's genders using a necklace. To summarize the method, you just take a silver necklace and rub it against the side of your palm while it's dangling; then, hold the necklace still over the center of your palm. If it swings in circles, that indicates a girl. If it swings back and forth, a boy.

As crazy as it sounds, it's been 100% accurate so far in all my friends and family and their friends and family who've tried it. It has predicted the right number of children, the right genders, and even in the correct order in which their kids were born (based on gender).

Now to my point and question: Every time I've tried this method, it's predicted that I'll have two sons...which worries me. It worries me because:

1) I'm gay, so how am I going to have children? If I ever were lucky enough to find a woman to spend my life with and she wanted children, I would never want to be the one to carry them. Even if she has the babies, I assume this necklace test doesn't work for gay couples (it predicts the babies you give birth to personally or for men, the babies they are genetically responsible for).

2) I'm worried this means I'll somehow end up with a guy. What if I never find a woman to be with? What if I have to settle for a straight relationship and end up pregnant with two kids?

I've always been terrified that I'll go through life completely alone and never find someone to love and to love me. Now that I keep thinking about the baby predictor thing, I'm more scared that I'll end up in a straight relationship for whatever reason. I don't even want kids, and I definitely don't want to be the one to carry them in a gay relationship, so how would I end up with children if I'm in a gay relationship? I don't know what to think :icon_sad: This prediction thing has been so accurate with everyone who's tried it.

2. prism

Come onnn, that's so old school! In Chinese culture, you can't even move without somehow bringing bad luck. My cousin named like 100 things in dreams that signify a family member is going to die soon.

You don't have to be in a "straight relationship" to have kids. You can still be with a woman and have children through in vitro fertilization and/or adoption. If you never want kids, that's your decision, not some necklace's. Don't let superstition control your life.

Hope this helps!

3. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I know :confused: I'm not a superstitious person, and I usually don't believe that type of B.S., but this necklace thing has been spot on for so many people I know. And oddly enough, I was working at this food bank a couple summers ago serving homeless/low income people. This one guy who was eating there randomly calls out to me to catch my attention and asks me to walk over to him. He then says, "You're going to have two sons who look just like you." It was very random, but still, I was quite shocked that he purposely called me over to say that. That's exactly what the necklace thing predicted - that I'd have two sons.

Either way, I'm still scared that I'll never find a girl for me! Just gotta wait and see, I guess.

4. sanguine

exactly

5. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know that, but the predictor thing doesn't indicate adopted children. I've had family friends who everyone knows has kids but when they tried the test, it said they don't have any children. Then in private, they told us that their children were actually adopted.

6. Ben

Ben

Okay, so this pendulum thing is pretty common and is scarily accurate. The problem is that the person holding the pendulum above their palm is (not consciously) controlling the direction and momentum and everything else with tiny finger movements. If you tell them that the necklace will go in circles if they're under 25, or if they own a dog, as long as they're controlling it and want it to work, it's going to seem like magic.

If you do want your own children, then there are ways that can happen. But you really can't let this necklace thing make decisions for you or scare you about the future. You're gay, and you have more control over who you'll eventually end up with than a piece of jewelry. : )

7. Stormy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok there are two huge problems with the necklace thing...

First off, you may think you have no impact on which way it swings but you do. One of my teachers in high school once showed us a trick where he could get a string with something heavy tied to the end of it to move in circles without moving his hand. He stopped it swinging and held it completely still, and after a few seconds it started to move again. The reason he was able to do this is because the hand movements required to make the string move are so subtle that all he had to do is think about circles rather than make any real effort to move it.

Secondly, the necklace is going to move no matter what. If you hold something that swings without making an effort to stop it like my teacher did with the string, it's always going to keep moving at first, so this method of predicting kids is flawed in that it can't predict how many kids you will have or if you just won't have kids at all because you are never going to get a non-swinging necklace.

8. Zontar

How could this possibly be accurate? You're getting yourself worked up over folk tales.

9. SunSparks

Ok, so I know sort of about what you feel. In like Indian culture, they have these people, I don't know what they are called, but they predict stuff and tell you whats lucky and whats not. Like, they said I should stay away from water... I kinda already knew that because it never was friendly to me. Obviously, this person has never met me but seemed like everything they said was sound. Then she said that I will (compared to my siblings) have children easily... obviously, I cant carry the kid myself... so I left confused.... obviously, I don't know what my future holds.... but all I can say is that just calm down. Don't worry about the details of it and just continue with life. When and if it happens, it will happen. Until then, it doesn't matter.