1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay marriage business letter

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stephenjack, Aug 20, 2012.

1. stephenjack

last year in my english class we got to write a letter to a politician sharing arguments for and against a certain controversial issue of our choosing. I chose gay marriage and to write to Gov. Christie because at the time it was a hot debate in NJ. I got an "A+" and i just wanted to share with you and get feedback...thanks :slight_smile:

Dear Governor Christie:

The proclamation "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal”, one of the last lines, and maybe the most powerful, of Martin Luther King Jr.’s speech about equality, did not only apply to African Americans. At the time it might have been seen that way, but in this generation it applies to the discriminated minority of America, and the fight for their right to marry. Gay marriage has not yet risen up to the freedom it deserves, but state-by-state, it’s getting there. It is growing on the American people, just as the freedom of African Americans did in the 1950’s and 1960’s. I believe gay marriage should be legal, because giving same-sex couples all the same rights, which not every state even does, and still not call it marriage, is just absurd. Choosing a side on gay marriage though, is a judgment that must be chosen by both heart and mind.
    One prodigious benefit of gay marriage is the benefits of gay adoption. With gay couples, it’s impossible to conceive a child on their own, so most gay couples turn to adoption. The major concern of gay adoption is that the child might turn out gay, however the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) proved that false. Their conclusion is that the parents’ sexual orientation has no effect on the sexual orientation of their adopted child. Another study by the AAP showed legal recognition of gay adoption provides serenity to the child, by knowing that both parents are stable and socially recognized. Medically and financially speaking, it is also beneficial to legalize gay marriage because children would have access to work related health benefits, which are now offered by half of fortune 500 companies. The biggest benefit of gay adoption is the fact that it would remove more orphaned children out of the welfare system, reducing the burden on taxpayers to provide for them.
    The strongest downside to gay marriage is the large role religion plays it in. It is thought of by many that gay marriage goes against religious teachings in many different religions. Some also think it undermines the institution of marriage, set millennia ago by the central figures of those religions. The worlds’ sacred texts, the Bible, the Torah and the Qur’an, all share fundamental anti-gay arguments of gay marriage being unholy and profane. Another argument is that homosexuality is “unnatural” and goes against and God, as the Creator of mankind, because marriage wasn’t intended to be same-sex. These arguments of gay marriage have been in place for so long, it is hard for many to now just accept gay marriage, and go against their religious beliefs.
    Although there are these immense cons to gay marriage, the pros clearly outweigh them. Gay marriage affects society in many positive ways, two major ones being economically and statistically. Economically, it’s good for businesses, and is financially responsible for companies to associate legal and financial protection for gay and lesbian people and their spouses. Also, it’s ludacris that gay partners pay social security, but are excluded from spousal and survivor benefits. Statistically, the average divorce rate for states that allow gay marriage is twenty percent lower than the rest of the country. With this data, gay marriage is not “undermining the institution of marriage”, but having the opposite effect.
    After realizing all these staggering facts about the effect of gay marriage on society, it would only make sense to legalize it on the grounds of the many positive attributes it will bring. Economically, medically, and morally gay marriage would bring prosperity to wherever it is legalized. Marriage is a right that should not be denied to anyone, based purely on sex, and to deny such a right, is shameful. Society needs to realize the mistake it made yesterday, fix it today, for a brighter tomorrow, and legalize same-sex marriage!

Sincerely,

(my name)

2. Gen

Gen

Well, I see why you got an A ^_^. I think just having the courage to write it, despite not being out, is reason enough for a high grade.