1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

knocking

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by flyinhernikes, Aug 21, 2012.

1. those of you who live at home do your parents knock to come into your bedroom or do they just walk in?

mine just walk in, but it annoys me. i never do it to my mums, i always knock. i know if i raised the issue i would get the 'youre trying to hide something from me' argument.

just curious :slight_smile:

2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

My mom knocks but my dad just barges in. But it's okay, I have nothing to hide. The thing that bothers me is if they don't close the door. -__-'

3. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mum just stands at the bottom of the stairs and yells until I open the door. Either that or she just starts talking without waiting for me to get up and come to the door, then gets annoyed that I make her repeat herself.

4. Pain

Pain Guest

They knock, then they barge right in. Lucky me, I'm at college now :slight_smile:

They also don't knock on the bathroom door, and it pisses me off! They try to tell me what they're about to do through the bathroom door! Like I care, just knock, dammit! Say you need in soon and leave it at that!

5. ForceAndVerve

HAHA, sounds like my Mum, except my mum will do it from the sofa.

Thank god I'm living on my own now. :eusa_danc

6. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

My parents knock sometimes and barge in others...I don't know why...I mean, my Mother walked in on me changing one time...I mean I guess I am lucky that is all I was doing at the time...
    They should really just knock all the time though, it bothers me when they don't...I mean I don't just walk in their room when their door is shut.

7. "They try to tell me what they're about to do through the bathroom door! Like I care"

my mum does that all the time rofl.

ill be in the kitchen making food and shes like 'i need to pee im going to the toilet'.... thanks for announcing that mum :|

8. Ianthe

Tell them you want the option of being able to do things privately sometimes, and know they won't be walking in. You are 20 years old, and it's normal for you to have some private times occasionally. Or even regularly.

It might not go as badly as you think. Sometimes parents just have habits that were formed when you were younger, and you just need to point out that you are older now and it isn't appropriate any more.

You can say, "Well, I'm 20 now, and I would really appreciate it if you could knock on my door before just walking in. It's just that sometimes I want privacy, and I would feel a lot more comfortable if I knew nobody was going to walk in while I'm doing something private. Since I'm an adult, I don't think it's appropriate that you can walk in without knocking, just because I'm your daughter. You wouldn't do that to anyone else."

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never shut the door in my room. It does not stay shut very well..

When my parents need me, they yell up the stairs at me. (My room is on the second floor) If they are going to come in my room, they will let me know.

10. Catkin

My parents are more likely to just yell up the stairs for me too, but if they want they'll just barge into my room. No one ever knocks in my house, and locking your door is taken as something really suspicious, worthy of a long interrogation. There is no privacy here, which probably explains why I mostly go on EC at night. Ah well, I'm going back to college soon anyway.

11. SunSparks

Usually my parents just call me in my room and make me go to where ever they are....

however, when I am at home ( im at uni at this moment :grin:), they just barge in. Everyone, parents, siblings, they even bring guests in D:<

however, I just bolt the door so they can only open it for an inch xD

12. dreamcatcher

My family walks into my room all the time!! i could be naked and changing and they'd still come in to say hi and then walk out. I've learned to lock my door, especially with my younger sisters around since they will come in, sit down next to me, and watch what I'm doing on my computer even though I may be reading the most boring article in history. :/ It's incredibly annoying.

13. Snowy

Snowy Guest

My mom, and, well, the rest of my family for that matter, either just yells at me from whatever room they're in or actually bother to come to my door and knock.

Pretty much this.

14. LSunday

My parents knock while walking in. Technically, they knocked so I can't complain, but if I happened to be doing anything I wanted to hide there's no way it could happen.

Luckily, I haven't greased my doorknob or hinges for years, so I can usually tell before they actually open the door. Plus the hallway has a wooden floor, and I'm the last door from the stairs.

15. Gen

Gen

My mom would knock then barrel roll inside. It is so fast that you can see the handle turning before the knock even makes contact. Its ridiculous. Though this only would happen at night because otherwise I wouldnt be in my room. Any other time she would just call you and wait. Which will piss off anyone, its like if you can yell someones name, than just tell them what you want.

The worst part is my sister has learn from here. Everytime she see me she will sprint over and try to hug me. Sometimes she likes to come over and use my printer or get me to fix something. I would be upstairs in my loft and she will just appear inside and come sprinting down the hallway, while I flipping out in pure horror trying to clear my computer screen. Its madness :C

16. Aldrick

There is a simple solution to this problem. Next time your mother barges in make sure you're in the bed having sex with your girlfriend. As you're enjoying the muff casually look up and say, "Oh, hey mom. I didn't hear you knocking." Make sure your girlfriend is totally cool as well, and also casually waves and says, "Hey mom!" As she is totally shocked and completely frozen in place, offhandedly mention the fact that you're a lesbian.

I've heard that this is the best way to come out to parents, it makes things very vivid in their minds. It also ensures that she'll be afraid what she'll find in the future, thus ensuring before she enters that she knocks and waits for permission to enter. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

In all seriousness, just have an honest adult conversation with your mother. Explain to her that you'd like it if she knocked and waited for permission before she entered. If it doesn't register why this is necessary, simply point out that unless she wants a surprise one day when she enters and finds you masturbating or something she would be wise to knock. If you have trouble saying masturbating or something like that, simply say "intimate and private moment".

If none of that sinks in then head on down to the hardware store and purchase yourself a doorknob with a lock. They aren't hard to install yourself. You can ask someone for some tips and advice on how to do it; they should be able to explain it.

If your parents throw a fit at the prospect of you having a lock on your door, because they don't understand the reason why a twenty year old needs her privacy, then it might be wise to begin considering alternative living arrangements away from home.

17. hwedin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Mine open the door, then knock - when they're in the room.
    Thankfully I have nothing to hide but if I was up to something there is nothing I could do.

Though my Dad barges in then starts rummaging round my room. The other day I saw him about to start looking through my wash bag because he was out of razors - I managed to stop him in time, you don't rifle through a gentleman's toilet bag!

After four years away at uni with my own flat and flatmates who respected privacy, this is annoying to say the least

18. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine knock, but I'm fairly certain it's because they've caught me with my pants down a few too many times :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

My mom yells up the stairs or sends my bro to get me, but if she IS upstairs already, she always knocks first. If it's during the day, she'll just kinda walk in after knocking.

My brother, on the other hand, will barge in as violently as possible screaming at me to get downstairs. Quite the little charmer.

20. Kidd

Kidd Guest

My old bedroom also has its own bathroom attached, and people would constantly be rushing through my bedroom to get to it which seriously pissed me off to no end. They would barge in constantly, even when I was trying to sleep. But then my new (and current) bedroom was remodeled and now that I'm on the second floor I get as much privacy as I need. My mom is the only one besides me that comes in my room when I'm home, and she always knocks.