1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A positive realization about being lgbt

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dreamcatcher, Aug 21, 2012.

1. dreamcatcher

So today I was walking to class, and I overheard some lady talking on the phone about her boyfriend. Then, I sat down in class and I heard some guy talking about his girlfriend. I went to work at the lab and I overheard one of my TA's talk about some guy she was dating. Yesterday, I hung out with my straight friend and she was talking about her crushes and then the day before that I hung out with a group of girls that were talking about how hot some guys were and how they were looking to hookup. Even though I've been hearing my entire life about other people's crushes and how weird I am for my lack thereof, for some weird reason, it suddenly hit me that straight people talk about it all the time. It really is everywhere, on tv, in the newspapers, in classes, in the streets... and that's because it's something that's normal to talk about, it's well... human. And I realized I shouldn't be ashamed for wanting to talk about those kind of things because I'm human too. I deserve to be able to talk about crushes, hot girls, or be able to walk around the street holding hands with my girlfriend or kiss my girlfriend and not be ashamed of it. I deserve to be able to do these things, even though who I'm attracted to may not be the norm because I'm a person too and it's an essential part of the human experience.

Anyways, just felt like sharing. I went to my first gsa meeting yesterday and I think that made me feel... more normal, for lack of a better word. If anyone had any positive revelations about being lgbt that they would like to share, I wouldn't mind hearing them :slight_smile:

2. Level75

I only agree in terms of being held by an equal standard. Across the board though, people ought to gossip less in public. I hear people talk, and my mind immediately drifts to what kind of things a person could do with that knowledge if they were less benevolent.

3. Caudex

Caudex Guest

While I agree with your sentiment, I would avoid publicly expressing it. Trust me, not a good idea. One time I "slipped" in school when a bunch of my friends were discussing who was "hot" in our grade, and I wasn't really paying attention, and then it slipped out. :bang: I think most of them think I was joking, but one of them has kind of stopped being my friend.

Ah well, good riddance.

4. Chimera

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This might just be a female thing, but I feel we can get away with bending the rules of societies standards more, especially when it comes to gender roles and presentation. The first time I went to a lesbian dance and saw how everyone presented themselves with such variance... I have never felt so "normal" in my life, and I loved it! That's from my perspective, location, and limited experience though.

I'm still too uncomfortable to talk about hot girls, even to those I'm out to :icon_redf

5. PurpleCrab

A good thing:

When closeted, you hear lots of gossips (bad ones) about LGBT people around you. It's really annoying and rude, but you do realize quite quickly that they are based on ignorance.

When you come out and after, a few come out to your face and ask you awkward questions, but you suddenly don't have to hear all the bad mouthing anymore :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

...to me, that's sort of a relief. I know they are there, behind my back, but I don't care. I can put them out of my mind easier as I don't hear them.

6. dreamcatcher

:frowning2: That's not cool. I'm sorry that happened to you. But I guess my whole point is we shouldn't be made to feel like we can't talk about these things since we're just as much human as other people are. I used to feel embarrassed about having feelings towards women but I realize I shouldn't since it really is a natural feeling. But like you I'm not gonna go around expressing it yet but i would like to at some point feel ok talking about it just like straight people do.

There's only one person that I regularly talk to that I'm out to but I've never brought up the topic of hot girls since she's Muslim and well kinda conservative. I think I need more practice talking about these things but unfortunately, there's no one I'm out to that I can. Hopefully joining the gsa at my college will help me get better at that.

Ah I kinda wish I could feel like that. To just not care about what other people think would be so... liberating.