1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strong,Domineering, Mothers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by panda, Jan 24, 2008.

1. panda

One of the old generalities of homosexuality was that gay guys had strong overbearing mothers who in a sense turned their sons gay.
    Has this myth been refuted?
    Do any of you have strong mothers?
    Where did this idea start?:confused:

2. Rizpaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My mother is definitely not not domineering. Perhaps strong, but she doesn't constantly rule over every aspect of my life.

3. Casey17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hmm, mine is exactly like that actually.

4. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My mother didn't have much of an overbearing attitude during my early years, and she still doesn't. I've been gay as far back as I can remember, though, so I doubt she had anything to do with it anyway.

5. Ty

Ty Guest

My mum's quite dominating.... oh my... does that mean I was turned gay? :frowning2: what a depressing thought.....

6. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't say my mum is overly domineering, but she does do what mothers do. I highly doubt that 'turned' me gay. If anything she is just being a good mother and watching out for me, and if for some strange reason that made me gay then it's worth it. :slight_smile:

But yeah, my mother being dominating is her being a parent. I don't believe your mums domineering ways make you anymore likely to be gay than if you were to be brought up by a same-sex family. If you look at a study by a sociologist called Dunne then it shows the only link he found in same-sex households was that children were more open-minded. I would say that if there is no link to same-sex households and gay children, there is probably an even slimmer chance of your mum influencing your sexuality. :slight_smile:

#6 Martin, Jan 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  7. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

My mom is strong and domineering, but I'm just like her. I'm JUST as strong and domineering as she is which is probably the reason we have our little spats. As for it making me gay, I'd have to say I don't believe that.

8. My mom is strong as in she does things for herself, doesn't rely on others (I'm the same actually), but she is not overbearing or domineering thankfully.

9. Grof142007

nope and still gay as a rainbow

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This idea of "domineering mothers" comes from right-wing organizations who need some "excuse" for homosexuality because their religions teach against it. Those people that go to the Love Won Out (James Dobson) conferences are desperate for help. They don't understand their child's homosexuality and want to cure it. So they go here and listen to supposed "experts" telling them that they raised homosexual children because the kids had an absent, unloving, unsopportive father and the mother is domineering. Imagine how this makes the parents feel that go to these things?

I can tell you that my husband was always very loving and affectionate with our son. He spent lots of time with all our kids. I don't think I am domineering yet we have a gay son.

The scientific studies around this are becoming more conclusive all the time that sexual orientation is determined in the womb.

11. kholdstare90

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mum is VERY domineering in a non confrontational way if that makes any sense. Basically piss her off you had better run, and fast.

I don't believe she turned me gay but i have basically become my mother. I also got the majority of my genes and behavioral traits from my mum which is see as a very good thing. One of my best memories was throwing an old friend of mine through the window because he didn't know to lie about her cooking with yeast.

She is a great cook except when she works with yeast, well basically we were still friends but he never came over again. Not that much of a big deal as he wasn't that cute anyway.

12. panda

:roflmao: :roflmao: