1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on plastic surgery

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bree, Aug 22, 2012.

?

What do you think about cosmetic surgery?

1. Absolutely wrong.

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. Absolutely wrong, unless there's some kind of serious defect to correct.

18 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. Not sure how I feel about it.

13 vote(s)
    11.0%
  4. Would consider it/have gotten it, but would feel ashamed.

8 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. Don't have any problem with it.

41 vote(s)
    34.7%
  6. Would/have gotten it, not ashamed.

21 vote(s)
    17.8%
  7. Other.

14 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. Bree

I used to be really anti-cosmetic surgery. My mom won't even get a mole that makes her self-conscious removed, and she passed down the attitude. My little sister, on the other hand, is determined to enlarge her AA-cup breasts, and she's rubbing off on me.

I don't see anything wrong with surgery to help with gender dysphoria. Is it wrong to take that a step farther and think about changing my nose so that seeing my face from the side doesn't make me feel terribly unattractive?

I grew up in an extreme liberal-left community, where a lot of women don't even shave their underarms. This kind of subject would be taboo. What do you guys think.

2. sanguine

I dont really care so I voted dont have a problem, at the end of the day its the person you have to deal with and not the plastic surgery.

The real problem is the perception of what's perfect or beautiful to what is not, thats why I didnt select 'Absolutely wrong, unless there's some kind of defect to correct' which to me is very subjective, because what you see as defective can be completely different from what someone else see's as a defect.

#2 sanguine, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  3. pitabread514

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't believe in it!

4. Flow

I'm a believer in doing things that make you happy, as long as they don't harm you or others. You only live once.. so why not be happy in your own skin.

5. Fiddledeedee

I'm against it unless there's a serious defect to correct, since it's unnecessary surgery.

6. Ridiculous

Anyone who is against plastic surgery had better also be against tattoos and piercings, or else they haven't thought it through very well.

7. Fiddledeedee

I am.

8. BornAnew

I don't think there's anything wrong with people wanting to do plastic surgery even for purely cosmetic reasons. It would be awesome if everyone was very comfortable in their own skin, but the fact is most people simply aren't even after they try hard to be & if some of them think doing cosmetic surgery can help then why not?

It becomes a problem when people start doing too much to the point where it starts damaging parts of your body (like excessive facial surgery etc.).

So I think as long as plastic surgery is done in moderation it's fine.

9. Honestly, I can't really talk down plastic surgery considering I have had it (although there was medical need also, but that's only part of why I wanted it). I also have several tattoos and piercings.

I think that body modification is about making your outside match your inside, whether that be gender-related or not. Your body is your ultimate expression of self, it's the biggest and most important expression you have.

However, I think it's dangerous to encourage a ton of plastic surgery, especially to young people, in a society where we have so many body image/body policing problems.

So, I am for it, with some reservations.

10. blightedsight

I have not had plastic surgery, I don't believe I ever would have plastic surgery(but I'll not say never) however, a persons body is their own "property", they can do with it what they like as long as what they do doesn't hurt someone else.

Anyone who has an issue with someone elses right to decide what they do with their body, well, I have no respect for their opinion.

11. on others i dont have a prob with it cuz its your body do with it what you wan,t me however its not for me.

i like embracing how i am naturally. i know it sounds weird but its just a thing i have. all my life i have grown up with my mum being so insecure that she cant go out to the post box without makeup on and constantly complain about x part of her body or x this or that that she doesnt like. oh just shut up or put up lol.

i like being natural, i like wearing little makeup e.t.c. i dont like altering/changing myself too much psychically so im not myself. i am the way i am and i can accept it, if others cant and think i need to lose weight/wear more makeup that is their problem and not mine. i might not like it as much as i should but i can live with it, it being who i am naturally :slight_smile:

if i didnt have a prob with surgery or if i could change, i would get a boob reduction. i haaaaate my boobs, if i didnt have such big boobs i would be able to fit into clothes that are my ACTUAL size. not a size up because i have to fit my chest in it :dry:

this is a long reply oops.
    also if people get cosmetic surgery but go ott i mean and get thereselves changed so they are unrecognizable i think its kinda sad that they are so insecure they need that. take heidi montag for instance. shame really, she was beautiful before it she didnt need anything done.

#11 flyinhernikes, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2012
  12. PurpleCrab

I have no problem with it, none at all. I love body art in general, though I don't see much appeal with plastic surgery in the first place, I completely respect the people that do. It's a matter of respecting each other's differences.

13. sugarcubeigloo

To each their own. :slight_smile: If it makes someone happy and no one is being hurt, why not? I'm not one to tell other people what to do with their bodies.

14. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I feel basically the same way.

As a teenager I did on several occasions consider getting breast reduction surgery as an adult, but I always felt very ashamed afterward because, like the OP, I grew up in a left-wing household where you were expected to love your body for what it was. (I have since decided I like my chest area well enough after all.)

I still get uncomfortable at the thought of changing my body, and my gut reaction is to be against plastic surgery. However, I acknowledge that this is an irrational response for the most part. Like with so many other things in life, if the person making the decision is an adult and is not experiencing external pressure to do it, it should be acceptable.

15. Zontar

There's always something wrong with having surgery you don't need. If it's not broke, don't fix it. There's no reason to subject yourself to the risk of anesthesia because your partner thinks your breasts are too small.

And yes, I am against tattoos and piercings for the same reason; risk of infection would probably be the equivalent to the anesthesia concern.

#15 Zontar, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  16. Pinstripe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've had a very minor cosmetic procedure. My gums used to come pretty far down on my teeth, so that my teeth looked small and square. Basically I got my gums cut away so my teeth are a more rectangular shape. I'm totally satisfied with it and I think my smile looks a lot nicer.

That said, I don't have a problem with cosmetic surgery as a concept, but it kind of creeps me out to think about anything major, like liposuction, facelifts, lip plumping, etc. I work in the jewelry department of a fairly upscale store, so a lot of our customers are middle aged or older and have money. I can usually tell when they've had facial work done, and that right there convinces me never to get any. I wouldn't want a procedure that people could tell I've had just by looking. After a while, people just start to look fake, and I get a really uneasy, uncanny valley feeling looking at them. The point is to make you look young and pretty, but it really doesn't. It makes you look like a 60-year-old with a doll's face.

On top of that, my face is really tied to my identity, so I think I'd kinda freak out if I altered it too much. It kind of weirds me out to even put on Halloween makeup or something and look at my reflection.

17. anonymous1

I can see both ways. If surgery can help your self esteem in a major way or better enhance your life it may be a good idea. But I don't think it is right when the person looks fake, as Pinstripe said.

Now on the flip side in a few years I will need surgery for medical reasons and I also want to get fairly major plastic surgery. My issue has been the source of my non-existent self esteem since I was about 10 years old. It isn't something people can see on me, but I tired of loathing it.

Oh and Bree to your sister, we have some family friends and one of the girls is 20. She has AA breasts and is very beautiful. Breast size doesn't affect that. Personally I think she should wait a little longer before surgery because how long ago did she even stop growing?

18. IllusiveRannoch

very much for it. i'm actually planning on getting it when i can.

19. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If someone wants to alter their body that is their business. If you have some mole that is really making you self concious then fine get it removed. I do believe that someone should be old enough to make that decision. I don't believe in 14 year olds getting nose jobs and boob jobs. If you want it that bad you can wait til your 18

20. secretguyX

I personally wouldn't get it, but if other people would like to get it that's cool with me. I mean, who am I to judge? If it makes then happy, then good.