1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homosexuality and Incest...among other things

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by silkfrog1292, Aug 23, 2012.

1. silkfrog1292

Hi to any EC'ers that have stumbled upon this thread.:grin:

I've been deeply troubled by some thoughts that have come across my mind lately, which i'm trying to find an answer to but seems to be running into dead ends or some very uncomfortable conclusions with every turn I make. As such, I want to gather more views/arguments about this by posting here. I hope that any views posted here are to be composed in a most civil manner and there would not be any hate posts.

I have been working on an essay lately regarding marriage law and incest. As such, I did some research and came across an essay written by a law professor from UCLA (sorry i forgot the name) He argued that since the legality of marriage (at least in secular legal systems) are heavily based upon the element of mutual consent. therefore if two adults with full mental capacity consents to join in matrimony, then it should be seen as legitimate, even if the there are sanguine relationships between the two individuals (e.g. siblings).

After reading this article, it brought to think about LGBT relationships and our fight for equal marriage rights. LGBT activists have always strongly advocated for equal marriage rights on the grounds that since it's a decision made between two consenting adults, therefore it should treated as legal and recognized. However, wouldn't this by extension then also apply to incestuous relationships? If consent is a foundation block for recognition of marriage (or sexual relationships for that matter) what are the differences between a same sex couple and say, a couple that is composed of two brothers or a brother-sister?

Coming to this conclusion scared me. To me this means that support for same sex marriage would be laying the foundations for recognition of incestuous relationships (even if it is between two consenting adults as per the likes of Patrick and Susan Stübing). I have tried to formulate some arguments that could counter this. But the only one i can think of is that allowing incestuous relationships would increase the prevalence of genetic mutations and diseases, but to me this argument is flimsy and rather irrelevant. Furthermore, if this argument is pursued then doesn't this mean that those with genetic diseases should be barred from marrying or having children (maybe even forcibly sterilized?) due to the danger they may pass on those genes to their next generation?

This brings me to another facet of this problem. As i did more research i came across studies which shows that what constitutes incest, or any form of sexual/romantic relationships for that matter, are essentially arbitrary and widely different across different societies and cultures. For example, the Sambia tribe of Papua New Guinea practices a sort of institutionalised-homosexuality, the Marind and Baruya people practice a form of institutionalized rape where women are "required" to have sex with multiple male members of the same family, while in pre-modern Japan and Bali parents masturbating their children are considered socially acceptable and even encouraged. In this sense, doesn't this mean that all our talks about what is wrong/right (this includes topics about pedophilia/zoophilia and incest) is simply irrelevant since what constitute as socially acceptable is so widely different?

While it is true that we can "argue" that since modern society is more advanced than these pre-modern/tribal societies, therefore what we express should hold more weight or should form some sort of universal standard (e.g. "universal human rights"). But to me this seems to simply be another form of bigotry. I found it deeply disturbing that the consensus based upon several major societies would form the basis of what should be adhered to by all societies.

Please be aware that I am in no way against the recognition of same sex rights. It is the very fact that I can come up with no arguments against/around it that have prompted me to make this post. Any comments/views are welcome provided they are made in a civil, rational manner.

Thanks. :icon_bigg

2. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That incestuous relationships should be treated as legitimate relationships should be obvious to anyone. What, exactly, is the big deal? Get over it!

3. silkfrog1292

Thank you for your input.

However, there are some points i wish you may be able to answer me. While it may be true that since there are no legitimate arguments against the legitimacy of incestuous relationships (although i am doubting that), but it is commonly acknowledged that incest have been, and continues to be taboo for many societies. Why is this so? and does this have any relations in shedding light on the actual issue of legitimizing/banning incestuous relationships?

Thanks

4. Ridiculous

I agree. The reason you are having difficulty finding a proper argument against it is because.. there isn't one!

It's certainly not something I want to do, but that doesn't mean I get to prevent other people from doing it, as long as everyone involved is happy.

Biological children in incestuous relationships is a tricky issue, and is the only thing that I can see that has a scrap of merit in it. However a relationship doesn't always equal offspring, and as you mentioned outlawing incest because of possible genetic deformities in offspring means that we should also outlaw people with genetic diseases from breeding too.

-Evidence of children produced from incestuous relationships with genetic diseases, amplified by pre-science religious fervour, led to society viewing incest as evil.

-Human evolution has led to most people not feeling attraction towards people in their immediate family/people they grow up with. Because the people making the laws didn't want incest, they made it illegal for everyone.

#4 Ridiculous, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  5. Hot Pink

This is honestly something that I've struggled with as well. It is mostly just a social faux pas in the case of homosexual incestuous relationships. In the case of children of incestuous relationships, the problems caused by this are well-documented. It isn't a social faux pas when children get involved. Because of the danger involved, I still think that incestuous relationships in general should remain taboo. If we let homosexual couples stay together, that might make heterosexual couples think they're being discriminated against. It's just better to avoid that whole mess entirely.

Besides, one of the best things about relationships is going out there and meeting new people, broadening your horizons. What would I get for being with my sister? Not much. Ugh... It's just...gross to think about. I don't know how people can be sexually attracted to their own family. There's just too much history there, you know?

6. silkfrog1292

Thank you for your input.

I agree, after thinking through the entire matter with the above posts in mind, i came to the conclusion that, with no considerations given to any form of social/cultural contexts; there are essentially no convincing argument that I can make that would justify not allowing incestuous relationships providing it is mutually consensual.

However, with this conclusion comes another (in my opinion at least) problem. Since following this argument, one can say there are NO universal value systems where we can base upon out actions against, essentially what we consider as wrong or right are basically the result of social conditioning and what society dictates us. In this case, this means that acts of homophobia/bigotry/hate crimes are every bit as legitimate and that of what we as LGBT individuals are advocating, since there is no absolute standard as to say that what they do/not do is "right" or "wrong".

In extension, could this problem be applicable to all laws? Many laws (e.g. criminal laws) are based upon the pretext that certain behaviours are frowned upon by the community in general, and that these behaviours need to be remedied/punished. However, if the idea above is applied to this context, this means that the act of killing someone purely for the sake of pleasure (oh my) is every bit as "right" as, say helping a granny cross the street since there is no absolute standard which to dictate our actions. In this case, does laws still need to exist?

7. Ridiculous

Uh-oh, morality!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sfGw98pVCA[/YOUTUBE]

8. blightedsight

I should give my friend a call.
    He's married with 2 children to his best friend. They lived on the same street growing up(and I do mean growing up, they spent pretty much every day "playing" together. They went to the same school, and at 14, started dating. When they were 22, they got married and by 24, had their first child. The second child came at 27 and last year, in a lovely ceremony, they renewed their vows for the right reasons. They've lived within 1 mile of the same street they grew up on for numerous reasons. Neither of them went to university, instead getting jobs at 16(in fact, they both worked at the same Burger King for about 2 years) and moving in together at 17.
    They are absolutely in love, BUT as you say, one of the best things about relationships is going out and meeting new people and broadening your horizons - there's just too much history there.

Note: Before you say it's "not the same", consider this, as a rule, people spend more time with their friends growing up, than with their family.

At the end of the day, Hot Pink, you might not want to be with your sister, but no one is asking you to, but, what I think is a fair request is that you don't judge other peoples life choices because you wouldn't do it...I mean, I'd hate it if I was in a minority where people constantly held beliefs and inflicted them on me because they didn't understand it, or like it.

#8 blightedsight, Aug 23, 2012
  9. MusicIsLife

If the couple is genuinely consenting and of the same sex, I have no problem with it.

If it is a heterosexual relationship, that's where I disagree with the whole "incest is okay" thing. Why? Because children born of a couple with common ancestry (cousins, siblings, etc) have a much higher risk of birth defects, major disabilities (down syndrome) and at least 30% of these children die.

There is good reason why it is illegal in so many places.

10. blightedsight

What about if the incestuous heterosexual couple are unable to have children? I mean, if one, or both parties, are infertile? What about then? No children will be involved in that.
    Also, as has been suggested in the thread, what about non-incestuous heterorsexual couples BUT one of the pairing has a disability that has a very good chance of passing on too - should be create laws to prevent them from having children?

11. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you really believe that a couple, who are in an incestuous relationship, cant be left to make up thier own minds on whether it is a good idea for them to have kids or not?
    They're not incapable of weighing up the pros and cons. These people are in love, having sex and if they want to have a baby then how the hell do you propose we stop them? Jail time for the pregnant woman maybe? What gives you the right?

12. sanguine

I must admit, my first reaction even till now is to find a contradiction, but I cant find one and there probably isnt one. Speaks volumes about what side I am on right?

but lets not argue for the sake of arguing, there are more good points for sibling relationships than the latter, but you have to remember that even though we all identify LGBT, it doesnt mean we live outside of the societal norm/morals.

the way I see it, its already bad that homosexuality and trans gender is seen as taboo, adding another taboo topic into the mix is something we can do without.

#12 sanguine, Aug 23, 2012
  13. blightedsight

I thank the lord that my straight friends who have their own issues in life still find the time to understand and incorporate equality for all including homosexuals into their lives.

They could, quite easily, ignore this taboo because it's something they can do without.

To me, your comment is like that of a black man fighting for his own equality and ignoring the racial abuse directed towards, for example, Asian people.

#13 blightedsight, Aug 23, 2012
  14. sanguine

*rolls eyes* just stop, Id rather have it that the LGBT community gets its recognition before incestuous relationship, its better than having both in the dark AND its a step forward

lastly whos to say incest relationships wont get its time on the spotlight?

15. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

There actually is one very important thing separating homosexual relationships from incestuous one, and that is power dynamics (forgive me if that isn't the right term).

Basically, parents and other, older family members, including older siblings, hold a certain degree of power over younger family, even once everyone involved is an adult. This greatly increases the probability that the younger member (or, more accurately, the one with less "power" in the family) is not actually entering into the relationship with full consent.

This is more an argument against permitting non-consensual marriages, which are not always incestuous. However, unlike relationships between most unrelated people, the power dynamics form an inherent part of the relationship, especially between parents and their children.

The solution would then be to first investigate what percentage of incestuous relationships are truly consensual. If all but a small fraction are, then permitting incest would be reasonable. If, on the other hand, the majority are not, then incest should only be permitted on a case by case basis after a process to determine the nature of the relationship. You could separate out different types of incest, as well, so that, sibling-sibling marriages would be permissible but parent-child marriages would not.

As for laws in general, some are based on societal norms and don't have much basis beyond that. Some, such as traffic laws, are arbitrary but still vital. Laws should strive to reduce suffering, something which, at least in theory, can be determined objectively outside of societal norms.

#15 Tetraquark, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2012
  16. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds very cowardly to me. Shameful, some would say.

17. PurpleCrab

I have thought about that topic a lot, incestuous relationships I mean, in a way to explain to a kid why they shouldn't have a love/romance type relationship with members of their family.

I made a bit of research in psychology too. Found a pediatric dr who gave a good example of the why not, to a kid.
    It was: imagine being sat in a train. You have your seat, right next to your parents, your whole family is in the same wagon and there are other families in other wagons. Everything goes smoothly and in order. Your dad sits where he should, so does your mom, and everyone. You sit where you should; and the seats are like roles in your family.
    If you, or other people, mix the roles... like you try to sit at your dad's seat, some people will be standing, they will have to find other seats that aren't for them, and it's going to become chaotic and disorganized, the whole wagon might be in trouble. That's how it works you see; every individual needs to attribute a role to their family members; you dad is your dad, he's not your brother, he's not your friend; he's your dad. He can't be your husband because if he was, your mind would go through something very troubling much like chaos. Your mind would have to redefine the roles of your whole family and undo some nice stable things like the fact that you can count on your parents for protection and for unconditional love. The love you live in romance is not unconditional nor should it ever be.

I found it made SO much sense, even to my adult ears!! The worst in incestuous relationships/marriages being not the possible genetic defects but the psychological mess that ensues the mixing of family roles.

And that would make gay marriage right.
    That would make incestuous marriages right too, that is, if they learn after they are married that they have a distant family link.
    That would make incestuous marriages wrong if the people know that they are related.

I believe that this could be applied rather easily if it becomes regulation to make a family research before each marriage!

18. blightedsight

Eyes rolling, eh?
    Well, I'm sure you know how I felt when I read your response.

Have you ever been beaten because of who you fall in love with?
    Have you become a social pariah? Been the victim of ridicule, torment and abuse that no one should ever face?
    I have. I have faced it because of my sexuality.
    I know what it's like, so when I see that there are consenting adults victimised in the same way, and ignored by a group of people that should empathise and sympathise with that situation, and, even worse, actively distancing themselves, well, thats terrible.
    People within an incestuous relationship have done nothing wrong except fall in love with a person that society tells you is wrong.

If you can't find an argument that is just or legitimate against this practice, but you still want to distance yourself from them and their plight, well, shame on you.

19. sanguine

maybe, but I am being honest to how I feel

geez you speak as if I opposite incest with a passion, calm down :dry: this is gonna be the last time I comment on this thread because there are always people who get touchy.

I believe in Love, even if that is incest which is probably something that I personally will have to get use to over time, what I dont believe is that everything can be solved just in one go, it takes time and effort and a heck of alot of sacrifices, if you want to be a supporter go ahead, no ones stopping you, making war against me isnt gonna change anything, I have my opinions and I will do what I want.

20. blightedsight

"Calm down" and "making war"?
    I see, when you can't justify your stance properly, or you can't argue effectively, you use these baiting tactics?
    Fair enough, you have your opinion thats fine, but seriously, it's rather childish to use some of the hyperbole you have to make my opinions seem more exaggerated than they are.