1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever wish you were straight?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hot Pink, Aug 23, 2012.

?

Would you rather be straight if it was possible?

1. Yes.

41 vote(s)
    18.1%
  2. No.

117 vote(s)
    51.8%
  3. Sometimes.

65 vote(s)
    28.8%
  4. I am freaking straight!

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. Hot Pink

Originally, I was going to ask, "Do you ever wish you weren't gay?" I realized this would be inappropriate for our bisexual friends.

Anyway, I do think this now and then. My life would be easier if I liked men sexually and didn't like women. After all, there aren't that many gay girls and heterosexual men are freaking everywhere. Also, I wouldn't have to worry about if I'm going to be discriminated against, if people are going to hate me for holding hands with my boyfriend, or deal with the stress involved with this whole gay marriage thing.

I'm not saying I hate being gay, but it would just be easier to be straight. Plus, then maybe my mom wouldn't get that concerned look in her eye every time I go out with a female friend. Even though most of my female friends are straight.

Note: This is a poll, so if you post a reply before the poll has posted, remember to come back and cast your vote.

2. secretguyX

Sometimes, but rarely. I used to wish I was straight back when I was unhappy about my sexuality, but now that I've accepted, I actually prefer being bisexual. I mean, there's still times where I'm like, "Being straight would be so much easier. No one would judge me for it, I'd have more of a chance with people I like... etc..." but usually I'm happy with my sexuality.

3. Schabanak

I am happy the way I am. I dont want to change, although I have so often felt bad. But beeing gay makes me different and I like that :slight_smile:

4. sugarcubeigloo

I did at one point. But now, I've reached the point where I'm perfectly fine being me. :slight_smile: That sounds really cliché, but I've spent enough time mulling over that question. I don't need to be in that place again. I voted no. Although, I totally get why others would say otherwise.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We've had these threads before, but I feel like they still have good repeat value since we get new people to answer them.

No, I really enjoy being bisexual, and I would never want to be straight. If sexual orientation were a mutable characteristic, I'd be actively recruiting: "come on, man, it's an acquired taste!"

6. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I wouldn't want to be straight. I know most people say sexual orientation doesn't define you, but for me, I think it does. I don't think I could be me without being lesbian. I don't think that I would even be at all the same person if I wasn't. I like being lesbian, I would never want to be straight.

7. Vesper

I do at times, but then I tell myself that being the way I am now makes life so much more interesting.

8. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Sometimes I wish I was straight only because I'm not fully comfortable with being gay yet. There are some days where I totally embrace being gay but other times it can be tough.

9. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I'd never want to be straight and be like "everyone" else. I love being gay, it's a large part of who I am and I'm very happy this way. I see it as more of a gift than a curse.

10. Gen

Gen

And feel obligated to keep up with everyones masculinity complexes?
    I have enough to do on a day to day basis (;一_一).

I like being different from the norm in this section of life, because it teaches you to be yourself in other aspects of life.

11. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

All the time, but I know that's not who I am meant to be.

12. Wayfarer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It'd be easier, that's for sure.

But not if it meant being different from the kind of person I am right now. Being gay has taught me some important things I may not have learned otherwise.

13. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Owen had an excellent post about this a while back.

"I'd take it.

I often feel like I'm the only GLB person who has this opinion. The fact of the matter is that there's nothing inherently good about being gay that doesn't have some kind of equivalence if you're straight.

"But guys are so hot!" And girls would be just as hot if I were straight.
    "But vagina is so icky!" And it would be just as appealing as penis if I were straight.
    "But you're going to make some guy so happy!" And I could make a girl happy too if I were straight. In fact, my odds of finding a girl to make happy would be better, as if I started fancying a girl, sexuality wouldn't be imposing a 5-10% chance that she's capable of reciprocating the feelings.

"But you get to be special!" ...special? Are you fucking kidding me?

This one irks me the most, so I should elaborate. The word "special" implies something positive, something desirable about whatever attribute is being described. Being part of an oppressed minority is not desirable. Needing to work at least ten times harder to find a mate is not desirable. Missing out on privilege (straight privilege, specifically) is not desirable. Worrying about whether someone might react violently if they find out this simple fact about who I am is not desirable.

I used be of the opposite opinion, and one of the reasons was because "Being gay made me who I am today." But then I realized that if I were to take this pill, my personality wouldn't suddenly change. My personality is the result of my experiences, my history, my interactions with my friends. Changing my sexuality isn't going to suddenly erase all those and invalidate them. I'd be the same person, just straight. I could be the same shameless, convention-breaking individual; I'd just have a better chance of getting a date on Saturday night.

You might now be accusing me of not being proud of who I am. What's to be proud of? I like guys. It's not like I climbed mount Everest. It's not like I can recite the first thousand digits of pi. Being gay isn't a talent or an accomplishment; it's a part of who I am, like being right-handed, or brown-eyed, or white. Changing that aspect of who I am would objectively improve my life. Why is it a shameful thing to acknowledge that fact?"

So yeah. That's pretty much it.

14. Mackattack

Mackattack Guest

No not anymore. :slight_smile: I've finally gotten to the point where I'm glad to be a lesbian and I've finally just recently embraced it. But I used to always tell my friends "I wish I was straight", or "Liking a girl sucks", but now that I've accepted it as a part of me, I don't wish it anymore. I wouldn't be me if I was straight.

15. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    na

---------- Post added 24th Aug 2012 at 02:45 PM ----------

I'm greedy ;D

16. needshelp

a year ago-yay
    now=nah, i'm good.

17. unicorn14

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do all the time, thing is I love my girlfriend she's a wonderful light in my life, but if I could go back, right now, I would. Ask me again in a year :slight_smile:

18. paul

i hate to rant again, but seems like every few days someone comes up with a thread that is saying exactly the same thing "Do you wish you were straight". The majority usually says no. I wish that people would just stop restarting the same thread over and over again. I'll stop ranting and just answer the question.

No. Everything happens for a reason

19. Ianthe

I think that a person's sexual orientation significantly shapes how they see the world. I don't even think this question makes sense--it's essentially asking if I would be a fundamentally different person than I am. And I would never want to stop having the feelings I have for certain women. That would be terrible.

20. redstormrising

no. it was actually a relief, in a weird way, once i finally figured out i was gay. it suddenly made sense why my relationships with men always felt forced and why i wasn't ever interested in sex with them. i was beginning to think maybe i just wasn't compatible with other human beings. i've been out for a little over a year now, and in a relationship with a fantastic woman for the last 6 months. it's so much more "right" than any of my relationships in the past with men, sometimes i wonder how it took me so long to figure out i wasn't straight

maybe i would feel differently if i weren't in an area of the country where it is pretty safe to be openly gay, or if my friends and family weren't completely accepting, or if my state's anti-discrimination law didn't consider sexual orientation to be a protected class. there are still disadvantages to being gay even here of course, but there are disadvantages to being female, too - and i don't wish i were male to resolve those.

#20 redstormrising, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012