1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only gay Physics student in the world?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Caudex, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Caudex

Caudex Guest

So basically, I'm in high school, and I love math and physics. I'm in robotics club, JETS, "Mathletics", and all of that. But of all the kids who are into that thing at my school and that I know from my other schools, all of them are straight. Or at least their Facebooks say they're straight. (I checked because at this point, I'd only come out to another gay person.) There's one kid whom I can say is gay with 99% certainty, but that's much more common. Am I the only gay person who cares about the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?
    If you're gay and planning on majoring in math or physics, please reply. I don't want to be alone!

2. Mogget

Not majoring in math or physics, but considering geophysics for grad school. And I was a math minor until I switched to double majoring in geology and religious studies.

3. redstormrising

i was double minoring in physics and sociology, but my last semester of undergrad, a course i needed for my major conflicted with a course i needed for the physics minor so i had to scrap the minor.

4. Snowy

Snowy Guest

I'm not exactly planning on majoring in physics/math, but I am planning on majoring in computer/aerospace engineering.

5. Ridiculous

Yes.

When I was doing the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle in my first year of university, I very much didn't care for it at all.

6. pancake111

I took physics last year in High School, and it was a Nightmare. I had no clue what was going on. Luckly my teacher is extremely laid back so I ended up with a B- for the year!

7. vyvance

Physics major.

8. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. My boyfriend is gay, and he majored in Physics and Math, IIRC.

I'm a biochemistry major myself, though I'm bi.

9. SunSparks

Hmmmm... I swear, your like my younger twin xD So, first year in college of engineering. I love math and physics. I was in robotics club, JETS (btw, its not called JETS anymore, its TSA TEAMS (i know, wth!) they changed it last year :wink:) and other stuffs. Actually, i was captain and vice captain in quite a few of them. And yes, I also noticed they were all straight... but think about it this way... how many people in your school are gay and then how many people are into physics and math teams... do the math... literally, estimate with numbers and percentages, and you will end up with an answer that will make everything make sense.

There you go!
    xD Nerd out [​IMG]

10. GingerGuy

If it comes to me, then yeah, you are alone lol. I would never major in any of these thing. I just nearly failed a physics test today, and have no interest in these areas at all. I love sciences but I mean bioilogy and history. Writing too, reading is my passion and I want to major in law. Good luck, maybe you'll find another gay dude who likes these things. Just count me out.

11. Mad Man L

I'm bi, but I'm planning on doing Engineering at University next year, and I do Math-y subjects (not Physics, surprisingly).

12. korovin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm planning on maths and chemistry probably. Not sure yet, but those two are two awesome subjects.
    I'm also thinking about studying a little bit of sociology, philosophy or psychology at univirsity too but I'm note sure yet. ^^

13. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I really suck with numbers, so no for me. But at least now you know you are far from being alone. We have gay people everywhere and with all kinds of likes and dislikes.

There is also this organizations called oSTEAM that you might find interesting for when you go to University. Its likely that your uni won't have them, but you can always start a chapter yourself :slight_smile:

14. prism

You're not alone! It's not my major, but I independently study physics (for the sake of understanding astrophysics) and astronomy. I'm not a math wiz, so I'm only a math minor.

& speaking of the Uncertainty Principle, you should read a short play called Copenhagen by Michael Frayn. It's a wonderful play that incorporates the principle in a recounting of a secretive and historical conversation between Werner Heisenberg and Niels Bohr.

15. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I'm double majoring in physics and math with the intention of someday doing research in cosmology, astrophysics, or particle physics. We did a unit on quantum mechanics in chemistry last year (why there was such a unit in an intro chem course, I do not know), and everyone hated it. Except me; in fact, it was one of my favorite parts of the entire year.

16. Emberstone

17. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know two.

18. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's safe to say that nobody is "the only gay _____ student in the world." :slight_smile:

19. starfish

[YOUTUBE]E27v-jmRmx0[/YOUTUBE]

20. FashionDisaster

If it helps, I'm a physics education major :slight_smile: