1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paid dating sites

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gazza123, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Hi

So it's been on my mind a while and although I've tried a few free online dating sites without much or any success.

I am just wondering if paid dating sites in which you pay a subscription fee have a high success rate. Will I be more than likely to find someone and will I just end up where I am now with less money in the bank.

By the way I have no job so paying for this fee would majorly drop the balance in my bank which is something I don't need unless I know that I have some form of a chance.

So guys

What do you think? Have any of you paid and had success or paid and no success?

2. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Well, I've never tried a dating site, but let's think of it this way, would it be better if we all paid for Facebook? Twitter? Although I don't know for sure I just thought that thinking of if this way may help.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would say don't do it. For one simple reason. Whether you pay or not, the same human beings are the ones in your area. So if you're not having luck not paying, you're probably not going to have luck paying either. I would just say be a little bit more patience, and you'll find a great guy for you (or hookup, or whatever you're looking for right now).

I use a free one, and it worked for me. Here, I am defining "working" as being able to find a date. I have such a date on Sunday; therefore it worked. Of course, I could have a bad date, and one or both of us could decide we're not interested in anything further. But dating sites are not there to get you laid or get you a long-term relationship. They are simply there to make it possible for people who have similar interests to find each other.

I'd stick with free and be patient. :slight_smile:

#3 Pret Allez, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  4. shy

shy

nah, I wouldn't pay for this. The service they provide is usually not worth it and that you finally find love on one is about as likely as on a free dating website.

5. BudderMC

We actually had a guest lecturer on online dating over the summer and it was pretty interesting.

Basically the advantages of online dating are:

1) It allows you to foster computer-mediated communication before you meet them
    2) It gives you the ability to find a "specific type" of person
    3) It grants access to a much larger dating pool

What paid sites generally offer is better matching in terms of personality and other traits, but the rest of the process still works the same after you "get matched". The thing to keep in mind is that even though you're meeting them online, you'll still have to go see them offline too. And if you're not comfortable socializing, then you'll just end up talking with them online for extended periods of time online (> 6 weeks, studies show) with little results, or not knowing what to do once you find them in person. Either way it'll likely not work out as well as you'd hoped.

If you want to know more, feel free to hit me up. I can explain that lecture in more detail if you're interested.

And if you can't afford it, don't do it. A relationship is nice and all, but there are other things that are more important.

6. Pinstripe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've never used a paid dating site before, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially if money is tight. Even though they advertise themselves on better quality matches, essentially the service is the same. Also, I think they tend to cater to an older demographic than free sites.

Like Pret Allez, I've used a free site and been able to get dates. But once you're to the point where you're meeting up with someone, the site you met them on doesn't matter. You still have to get to know them like you would on a "regular" date, which makes the best of us nervous. If you do tend to get nervous in social situations, like I do, no site is going to give you that magical connection where you instantly feel comfortable with the person. That said, it's definitely worth getting through this awkward first stage to meet someone you like.

7. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I agree with what BudderMC said. I wasn't thinking because it seems like my only option to be honest.

But Yeah. A lot of what you guys said makes sense

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm currently using a membership at a certain popular one that is advertised on tv but not the one with e. Haven't met a single guy through it. Whether it's because it's a primarily USA site...or just because my city sucks for having members on it, but yeah haven't met anyone. So just don't bother.

9. starfish

I've found that it all depends on the area you are in. Dating and hooking up sites seem to have regional popularity.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They could work in like main cities like starfish said. Example Toronto or New York probably has a lot more people living there than my city of Windsor lol