1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else ever fall asleep in class?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DoABarrelTroll, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Ok, this has happened to me about 5 times in the past 2 weeks. I was wondering if anyone else had this happen often..
    Just curious

Thx

-Tom

2. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

In public school, I slept in geometry on a daily basis.

3. Aldrick

Yes, this happened to me frequently when I was in High School. I was tired all the time, no matter how much I slept. It turned out that it was a symptom of the major depression I was experiencing, and no one noticed / bothered to figure it out. :confused:

Are you getting enough rest at night?

My suggestion is to go see your doctor. There are various reasons that you can be so tired, depression is only one of them. Depending on what you tell him, he might do some blood work to check for vitamin deficiencies. Of course, if you're staying up late and getting up early, that's likely your problem right there.

4. I do try to get enough sleep every night, but my new meds (new as of about a month ago) are making it hard to get to sleep. Come to think of it, i haven't had a decent sleep since i started taking them.
    Still, don't want to stop as I've only had one migraine since i started.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was in high school this would happen to me sometimes..

6. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I slept through the middle third of almost every economics class last year. That's probably part of the reason why I got a 3.5 in that class instead of a 4.0...

My brain doesn't engage until 9 am, no matter what I do, so there is a very good probability that if I have a class before that, I will fall asleep during it.

7. secretguyX

I've never actually fell asleep, but I've dozed off enough that my eyes kept closing and I had no idea what was going on. And my teachers probably noticed, cause I was in the first row in Algebra :/ But that's mostly cause I didn't get enough sleep, and my meds made me extremely tired.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Didn't happen to me, but in college, I heard that there was this Asian exchange student who was really smart, but he had this really dull monotone voice. He was giving an oral presentation in a math class, and he managed to put EVERYONE to sleep. Even the professor. The student, seeing the whole class asleep, stopped the lecture, sat down, put his head down, and went to sleep, too.

Lex

9. DanA

As a current (substitute) teacher... I notice sleeping kids all the time in all classes all day. But I can't get mad, I slept in school too. Sometimes it's meds (which is fine and understandable), sometimes it's lack of sleep (which is also understandable but preventable in most cases), sometimes it's homelife (which I understand %110), sometimes it's just pure laziness (which I do not tolerate).

Just make an effort to take precautions so as not to sleep:

• Eat a nutritious breakfast.
    • Give yourself enough time to be fully awake by the time you get to school. For example: if you're waking up from a deep sleep 15 minutes before you get to school and you plop yourself down in a desk a little later, you're going to be out like a light and restless the whole day. Be awake for at least an hour or more before you get to school.
    • Excercise in the morning. When I played football and ran drills and worked out in the morning, I'd be awake all day with energy to spare. When I didn't work out in the mornings, I'd crash by 5th period and snooze.

10. someone3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    In high school, I only ACTUALLY fell asleep twice in class. I put my head down on my desk a lot but didn't fall asleep outside of those 2 times.

11. Ell45a

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeh I fall asleep a lot in maths but I'm like on some medication but I just find maths tiring :slight_smile:

#11 Ell45a, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  12. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yes. In high school I slept daily in Physics class. The teacher had this awful low, monotone voice. He was nice but his voice was like a hypnotizing lullaby. I also (sadly) slept everyday in high school Spanish class. Probably why I suck at both science and foreign language. In college freshmen year I fell asleep in a couple classes.

13. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I fell asleep in class exactly once: in my freshman year of high school.
    It was in History and we were watching a movie about Queen Lili'uokalani's life and I couldn't hold my eyes open any longer.

14. Ianthe

I think I fell asleep only a couple times, but I was always exhausted. I've always had sleeping problems.

15. BudderMC

I've never fallen asleep in high school. I've dozed off a handful of times in my math class in university because I hate calculus, the professor was an idiot, and I still attended the lecture because I felt like it was a "waste of money" not to.

Though I will say the one time in that class I intentionally decided to nap (i.e. I felt myself drifting off and said "screw it, I'm sleeping") was one of the best naps I've ever had...

16. Aldrick

You should definitely bring this up with your doctor. This is likely the cause. Let him know that it's having this effect on you, but it's working as intended as well. There might be another medication he can give you to help you out with your migraines, but doesn't have this side effect. Or he might give you something else to help you combat this issue.

I'd make an appointment ASAP. You don't want your grades to suffer because of the medication you're taking.

17. Mackattack

Mackattack Guest

omg yes! I would always fall asleep in my Native Americans class!! lol

18. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In high school, yes. I'd have certain classes that I'd dedicate to sleeping haha. Some teachers just didn't care and didn't bother to call you out for it, so I napped when I really couldn't stay awake. If it's a class with a stricter teacher and I'm struggling to keep my eyes open, I'd just prop my head up with my arm up on the table and sort of doze off and on without my head falling forward so obviously. In classes where the teachers didn't care at all, I'd cross my arms on the table and lay my head down completely and just sleep. Sometimes, I'd even make a pillow out of my sweater, put it on my desk, and sleep on it. But now in college, I don't sleep in my classes anymore. Teachers are stricter here and besides, I need/want to pay attention!

19. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm fairly certain I've never fallen asleep in class, but the combination of insomnia and delayed sleep phase disorder makes it extremely difficult for me to have any solid amount of cognitive awareness in 8 or 9 a.m. classes. I avoid them like the plague.

20. Markio

I've never fallen asleep in a class! :eek: I'm surprised so many people have! Not that I condemn that sort of thing, I was plainly just unaware that people did that.

Then again, I didn't really have a social life in high school, so I went to bed every night by like 10:30pm. Plus since I live on the west coast, I could stay up and chat with my online friends and not have to stay up as late as they did.