1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manual or Automatic?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Salazar, Aug 31, 2012.

?

Manual or Automatic Transmission?

1. Manual

30.0%
  2. Automatic

60.0%
  3. Really don't care!

10.0%
  1. Salazar

So, when you drive, do you prefer to drive manual or automatic? Why? For me its definitely manual. I find automatics confusing and find that they dont accelerate in the same way as manuals.

2. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know how to drive. Yes, at 24 I'm still unable to drive. Don't make fun of me. I'm trying to learn, but every time I get behind the steering wheel, I get kinda scared.

Until I can overcome the fear, I don't think I'll get far. It's not that big of a deal though. I live in the central part of the city which means I'm close enough to the bus stop, the grocery store, and the university. Besides, walking saves me from the pain of having to find a parking space at school or paying for gas. We're almost paying $4 a gallon here, so it's wise just to walk. I admit that the city bus is like a dumpster though. The other day someone left a diaper on one of the seats.

Sometimes I wish I could drive, especially when licentious men are hitting on me. I'm reminded of how sexualized women are when that happens. If the city bus wasn't so substandard, then I wouldn't mind having to ride it.

3. J Snow

Whoops, I meant to vote for automatic and I clicked manual >.< I don't even know how to drive a manual =P

4. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Manual all day. :grin:

5. vyvance

Automatic. I couldn't get a standard/manual into first gear if I had to.

6. starfish

It all depends on the application. My z3 is a manual and my truck is an automatic.

Modern automatics are much better than in the past and in trucks quite often have a higher towing and hauling capacity.

7. Gallatin

No contest, automatic all the way. I've driven manual/stick shift before and although I can do it, I don't find it enjoyable at all.

8. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No doubt automatic.

9. Salazar

Only?!!?!?!?? I'm paying almost $8.50 per US gallon of diesel! Then again, we don't have our own oil here, and my consumption is roughly 55mpg. Also, automatics have a higher fuel consumption.

10. Jared

I have an automatic in my 3 series and generally prefer automatics, but I would love to get a manual sports car, it would be fun :slight_smile: But I don't think I'd ever get a daily driver with a manual, I hate manuals in traffic.

11. BNQ2012

Automatic. I can't be bothered to think about anything extra when I'm driving.

12. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Automatic.

I never learned how to drive manual, but I wouldn't want to anyways. It's so much extra work and consciously thinking about how you should be driving. I'd rather just cruise along smoothly with an automatic and listen to music! Besides, I've ridden in some manual cars, and I don't know if it was the poor skill of the driver or what, but it's always a very bumpy, jerky ride. I'd rather not feel like I'm being thrown back into my seat or forwards out of my seat every few seconds when the gear shifts.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really care, although my ideal car would be manual. That's what my first car was, but now I drive an automatic.

14. Lad123

Its actually not that bad after a while. You will find that you don't even think about which gear to put it in because you're so used to doing it.

I can't vote because I've only driven a manual :lol:

15. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gas in America is SOOOOOO cheap! In my country, I pay $8.50 a gallon for normal gas. Where I am now, in the US, it's $3.59.. that's almost $5.00 cheaper! And people here say it's expensive.. so unreal :lol:

Anyway, manual! I don't feel like I'm driving when I'm driving an automatic.

16. BudderMC

^ gas prices are expected to peak really soon though, say the next few years, and then drop off completely because of a lack of availability of fuel (according to my prof...)

I really don't care which I drive. I learned on an automatic, got taught to drive a standard. Now I drive a stick most frequently since it's the only car I have access to. There are days that I really hate driving stick, but other days it's pretty fun.

I need to get one of those ones where you can switch between standard and automatic.

17. Jared

My car is like that, I don't care for it too much. To shift in manual all you have to do is push the gear selector forward or backwards, it's so different from a regular manual and just kind of odd. Though I hear some of the newer versions are a lot better, but I haven't had a chance to try one out.

18. Zontar

You also have a health care system that doesn't tell poor people to, literally, drop dead. :/

My dad tried to teach me how to drive his standard. It was a bit hard at first but like driving an automatic, you just have to become accustomed to it.

19. Ridiculous

The way I see it, driving manual instead of automatic is kind of like using an abacus instead of a calculator.

There's probably some obscure benefits to manuals, but I'm damned if I know what they are :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Automatic works fine for me.

20. Vesper

Automatic.