1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Website design

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nisomer, Apr 6, 2005.

1. nisomer

Welcome markie! Maybe you can teach me a few things about web design, I love doing that kinda stuff :slight_smile:.

2. goratrix

Welcome marike :slight_smile:

nk1114... have you ever tried google.com???

3. nisomer

lol its not like i dont know anything about web design...i got the basics of html down and some other stuff...if u wanna see some of my websites, theyre "ok" but here they are:

http://524clan.tk (its a dead site for my dead cs clan and is messed up now ever since i put it on angelfire but its still up)

http://dragonpalace.biz (chinese restaurant site, still working to improve)

and yes i am azn :slight_smile:

#4 nisomer, Apr 6, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  4. goratrix

Well. I could probably tell you that you need to learn JavaScript if you want to dramatically improve the functionality and looks of your site. Working with html, css and js is what is called DHTML which stands for Dynamic HTML. And i've seen some pretty amazing stuff from sites with that combination.

However, I usually write my own code in vi or emacs (when I'm lazy). And don't really mind about the looks. I just follow some functionality standars... I think that a site needs to be useful... not pretty.

that's what I mean by functionality. I, for instance, never use frames. At most, in some special cases where I want to make a gallery or something like that I use I frames... but never, EVER frames.

And sorry about the STFW... I'm just used to saying that when I face those questions...

#5 goratrix, Apr 8, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  5. tinkergeek

tinkergeek Guest

I am not very artistic. I can draw stick figures. When it comes to picking out colors, images, themes, etc for a website, I try to stick with stuff that allows easy reading. Who wants things to slow down because a website is loading a hundred images?

Though, I do not think a website needs to use JavaScript to be usable. I've seen CSS make wonderfully dynamic, usable pages. JavaScript is needed for a lot of things though. My largest problem is when sites use JavaScript too much. Then, if I am using a browser without JavaScript support, their site becomes useless. Really, it is not that big of a deal for 95% of the people going to a site, but who wants to elimate visitors because of their code?

6. goratrix

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that for webdesign it's better to use javascript than say... flash.

Anyway... the few times I used javascript on a site was because I wanted some weird effect, like the ones you can do with flash. I try to stick to html-only whenever I can. And CSS i only use when necesary. Although I shouldn't be speaking about this. It's been about three years since I pulled my sites off the web...

Anyway... I think it's great that you want to get into webdesign... that's what made me aproach programming in the first place... and from programming to linux is just a little step.

7. nisomer

I agree to everything you guys have said. I would really like to learn javascript, I just don't have a lot of free time on my hands these days...maybe in the summer I'll try.

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

9. goratrix

Cool... I didn't know these forums could do that... nice.

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It's a useful facility us Mods have. We can also merge threads. It's the sort of thing that's handy once in a while for keeping things organised.

11. tinkergeek

tinkergeek Guest

I love vBulletin... Though it is non-free (in both senses), it does have a lot of nice features I wish open source packages had. Have any of your guys used phpBB, are there anyothers that are better? I maintain that on one of the sites I do, and I am looking for replacements. Sadly, I don't know how much money can be spent...

12. TriBi

The site that spawned EC used to use phpBB, but it couldn't cope with the traffic.

It is still OK for lower volume sites - VBulletin does have a lot more features tho'.

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I used to use YaBB on a forum I run, but I would not recommend it. It doesn't use a proper database instead it uses loads of tiny text files accessed by a mass of Perl code, which is too server-intensive to be friendly on shared hosting. The support is also hopeless.

I moved to vBulletin, despite the cost, and don't regret it at all. Excellent, reliable software and superb support (proved by the help they gave me when I had some problems with their YaBB importer).

14. Mad Markie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay