1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever visited a medium?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GORKS, Sep 1, 2012.

1. GORKS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I recently had a very good experience with one, as have several of my family members. Only guy I'd trust tbh. Just wondering if anyone else has any experiences they'd like to share or even their beliefs or opinions on the topic?

2. SkyDiver

I believe that it's best to stay away from things like that. I just feel it can cause someone to delve deeper and deeper into things that they have no control of. But that's coming from my religious beliefs.

What was your experience?

3. GORKS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well 3 of my grandparents came through and honestly theres no way it couldve been faked. Things were said that no one in the world would know. I completely get what your saying. I mean I can believe this is possible but I dont know if its good or bad if that makes sense. Though it has has made me believe in a spiritual afterlife. That alone is overwhelming.

4. vyvance

Don't believe in it any more than I do something like Astrology, vampires, or magic. That is, not at all.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are a shitload of fakes, and a very small number (that I'm aware of) that are real. Some of the fakes are really good and, through skillful "cold reading" (saying enough generic things close enough to something that could connect that people think it's a "hit") get people to believe they're gifted psychics. Sylvia Browne is one who is apparently horribly, horribly inaccurate and probably bogus, but nonetheless is wildly successful.

The ones that are real generally are very humble and low-key, ones that shun publicity, and quietly go about what they do. And I've met a couple who are just astounding. They do hands-on healing that stands up to medical scrutiny, provide information that isn't from cold readings that they had no possible way to get hold of... things that are hard to dismiss as coincidence or parlor tricks.

I absolutely believe there are legitimate ones, but it's like a needle in a haystack to find them.

6. sanguine

this x9999999999999

although the good thing about cold readings is that it makes the person more positive about life, the bad thing is it probably leads people into false hope :/

7. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, but I've always been tempted to even though I don't really believe in it. It's just that I'm so tired of living such a seemingly pointless life, and I really wish I knew if the future was going to be any better or if I'm just heading down a long road of disappointment and sadness. Sometimes I just really want some answers to maybe...comfort me. And I thought talking to a psychic might relieve some of my anxieties about the future, but I know that 99% of them are flukes and there's always a possibly they'll tell me something I don't want to hear.

A strange incident though...I was just walking around the mall by myself looking for something when this lady suddenly stops me in my tracks. She's this middle-aged women, normal looking, and pushing around a stroller with a baby in it. She apologizes for interrupting me and says that she just had to tell me that I have this great energy about me. She then proceeds to "read" me and says things about my life that were true. She also warns me about who I keep as friends, saying that I need to be careful about those who aren't looking out for my best interest and who don't want to see me succeed. Lastly, she comments that there is something/someone holding me down in life, which was true. After this, she asks me if I would like to sit down with her for a full reading, which would cost me $10. I didn't want to waste ten bucks, so I said no, and she gave me a notecard sized "flyer" with her "business" and contact information and left.

So, I don't know...it was a very random incident. Some of the things she said were true, and some of them were just unfounded comments (such as me having a great energy about me or that there were friends who didn't want me to succeed [I don't really have any friends to begin with]). I don't really know what to make of what happened, but I was still taken aback by it.

8. Dalmatian

Well, since there is absolutely no doubt in me that psychics are fraud (since there are no such things as ghosts and so on), I wouldn't go to a medium for any reason but maybe sociological/psychological curiosity. However, I don't want to go because there are many poor souls who actually do go there in a desperate attempt to get help, which those people are just too eager to exploit. That angers the hell out of me.

In any case, people who do go to mediums are already primed to believe. In many cases they just can't wait to catch some generalization that's perfectly fitting to their problems. And in the same way as astrology, homeopathy and other pseudoscience, hits are counted and misses ignored and people who want to believe believe. To me, it's sad. But, to each his own.

9. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my opinion:

They are all charlatans, even if they don't know it and earnestly proclaim to have some 'gift'. The trust you feel is a product of his social skills, not any supernatural ability. If you're going to waste your money, at least do it on something fun, if it's not going to be productive. That way, one less charlatan profits out of other people's search for answers they can't honestly be given.

---------- Post added 2nd Sep 2012 at 10:39 PM ----------

this comment surprises the shit out of me. "Legitimate" and "real" being used to describe a medium?

#9 Pseudojim, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  10. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a spiritual person I do agree with Chip on this one. I have had the good fortune to actually meet a vey gifted psychic woman. She is extremely low key and you would only hear about her by word of mouth. She lives on the outskirts of London which you would have to travel a fair way to get to. She does charge for readings, but apparently is not able to raise her price because the angels disallow her from doing that. When she reads, she does not perceive when in time an event happens, just that it does or has at some point. She is remarkably accurate, more than I've ever seen in any other psychic person.

That said, there are loads of phony ones out there so be careful who you choose to believe. There are many who are simply out to get your money and don't really have any psychic ability at all.

11. GORKS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well this got a few responses lol There are totally too many fakes out there. I mean this guy I seen was 100% real but other than him I wouldnt want to go to anyone else. After I seen him I analysed the recording like hell trying to see if he was perhaps being really lucky, but, while yes there are generic things that come through the copious amount of other accurate information was incredible. Ive always been adamant in scientific evidence but I think its hard for us to believe something we can't understand. I'm not going to try and convince any non believers, I can only relay what happened to me and others I know. Do with that what you will.

12. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I always thought it would be interesting to visit one, though I don't really believe in anything supernatural. The idea of anything being beyond nature is sort of against my nature-based religious philosophy.

13. GORKS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I never fully believed before I went. Its kinda like youre telling yourself it cant be possible. Me and my friend went with the hope of maybe catching him out but to no avail. She put on a wedding ring despite being single to trip him up but it didnt work either lol tbh I still wabt 100% concrete proof so I'll probably go back. I guess its hard to imagine theres so much to everything than anyone supposes.

14. smprob

I've talked to some one online, who later turn out to be a psychic. she blogs about after life a lot and seeing people after death. I thought what she does when she practise ( she is in some club/community of psychic), sound more related to some kinds of Indian meditations, from details about moving out of physical body, being in the air and such things. I'm wondering if this is the same or more discussing here? Sorry about my lack of knowledge, but can u pls tell me, what does medium mean?

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, that isn't completely true. There are a small handful of psychics that actively encourage people to "test" them, refuse to take even the name of the client in advance, don't allow anything but "yes" or "no" responses, making cold readings difficult, and take on every skeptic that wants to try.

One particularly interesting case is George Anderson, who appears to be better than 90% accurate, and who attempted to get James Randi, who had offered a million bucks to anyone who could prove supernatural ability, to test him. But after showing initial interest, Randi wouldn't return any of Anderson's calls and has refused to test him.

Most certainly I'd agree that the majority are fraudulent... and are in the business of duping people and ripping them off. But not all.

16. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as i read, anderson refused to do the test under the conditions randi wanted, continued to insist on randi doing it his way, then after being rebuffed claimed, as you suggested, that anderson 'refused to test him'. He's a douchebag out of the same box as john edward, preying on bereaved. A more vulnerable group to exploit would be hard to imagine.

17. Zontar

Look, I don't discount the possibility of life after death. I'd just really like to hear some physical theories on how it'd work. After all, it's gotta have some rational explanation; Bible books aren't enough to convince me.

My hypothesis involves quantum mechanics I don't even understand fully. I'm sure someone smarter than me can tell me why or why wouldn't it be possible. :s

18. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you won't get any theories, all you'll get is untested - and for the most part untestable - hypotheses. If you're hearing someone's "theory", you've exited the realm of science and entered the twilight zone of pseudoscience.

19. smprob

Can I ask you ( what) the kind of "life after death" you are meaning here? If it is the same person after death, how can it happen? As I've seen every one leaves their bodies behind. So where did they get the body they having now (if anyone seen someone already dead, as they were before). So rational explanations cannot be done with physical/bodies theories, as I see it.