1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here work at a Pet Store?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicIsLife, Sep 2, 2012.

1. MusicIsLife

Hey guys,

I just sent in my application to work at my local pet store and before you bite my head off with ERHMAHGERD PUPPY MILLS this one has a reputation with being from breeders, and I have done my research. Even the Bettas homes are roomy and clean, I have confidence in their establishment.

My question is this: any tips on getting hired? Unfortunately the positions are for reptiles and birds. Birds I dont exactly mind, but they sort of freak me out. I can't hold them without getting a little panickey, and reptiles/amphibians I am fine with, but their reptile dept also includes...ick....SPIDERS. Of which I am terrified of.

Any suggestions on being like: Yeah im okay with everything except this this and this. To be fair I can handle/deal with anything else.

Also, not sure if this is supposed to be in advice or not. sorry in advance if its in the wrong section.

2. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I've never worked in a pet store, but if I had to apply for a position that includes an animal that I'm not comfortable with, I either wouldn't apply or would let it be known. If you're uncomfortable, you won't do your job well, the animals also won't feel comfortable around you, and you run the risk of being fired for incompetence. I, too, am mortified by spiders...and I know the ones they sell in pet stores are tarantulas :icon_eek: If I was asked to deal with those, I'd run out of the store and never look back!

That being said, you can't really pretend to be cool with something you're terrified of. I mean, if someone was afraid of water, do you think they could pull off being a lifeguard? It's best to be honest and avoid any issues down the line, like if your manager finds out that you're not going to be willing to work with certain animals after all. Just express what you're willing to do but acknowledge that you do have a fear of the spiders...it's only human!

Good luck!