1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nervous about my first day of college

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Yougoglencoco, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Yougoglencoco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So in England, once you leave high school at 16 you can go on to college which is what I'm doing, and only 2 people I know are coming to this college too and neither of them are doing the same course as me so I'm going to be all by myself in class, and I have an induction day coming up and I actually missed my first one because I was away so there's only going to be a few of us in there and I'm quite like socially awkward and I'm just nervous and not really sure on how to talk to new people and make new friends.. :s

2. King

King Guest

I totally understand. In Canada, you can go to college or university once you graduate high school (typically when you're 17 or 18), so although I'm a bit older than you I can relate completely.
    I'm going to college with my sister, into the same program and everything - and I'm still nervous as hell! My plan as far as making new friends is to just smile and open as many conversations as you can. Especially in my case, I'm not going to be leaning on my sister all the time and I plan on talking to as many people as I can even though I'm shy. Likewise, if you end up making a friend rather quickly, don't be afraid to try and make more friends.
    Smile, be confident, be yourself, and you'll have no problems. :slight_smile:
    Good luck! x

EDIT: What exactly is induction day? Is that where you meet people? Because I have Orientation Day where I can go specifically to meet my classmates. I was actually told that I would only be going to meet my classmates so I could get comfortable with them. Is that induction day? Because it's a great idea.

3. Dalmatian

It's a clean slate, mate. Put on your "yeah, I'm all social and open for all you know" mask and have fun with it. College is great, there are so many new people. If anything, it's a great way to brush that social awkwardness away. I am not saying it's wrong to be an introvert, that's perfectly fine; just don't let it make you anxious. After all, if you really don't want to, just don't speak to anyone; who's forcing you? :slight_smile: But it will be better if you relax and jump into it. The others there are people too. Enjoy them :wink:

4. Mango

With humans, you generally begin with a nice warm smile accompanied by a brief and inviting, "Hello!" :slight_smile:

PS.

In college, good ice-breakers are usually related to topics, such as subjects of interests and why...What's happening currently on campus...The recent spike in tuition...General quality of instruction...Distance from dorms to classes...Current events in the news...Places nearby to eat and/or party...Means of transportation...Marital status...etc..

Topics to avoid:

1) Religion
    2) Politics
    3) Sexual Orientation related topics
    4) Race/Ethnicity
    5) Any of your current professors

#4 Mango, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  5. Pain

Pain Guest

Also, join some activities and clubs if you have the time. you'll make friends in no time. After all, you're Glen Coco! You go Glen Coco!

6. Ben

Ben

I was nervous for my first day at sixth form as well. Just for the Americans—it's like a school dedicated to the last two years of high school, the setup is much more like school than university/American college, but with more freedom.

If possible, you could stick with the people you do know already for the first couple of days while you meet new people. You'll meet new people around and about, and you could try and join any groups (they might have an LGBT one?) to meet new people. Everyone is in a similar situation, so just be yourself!

7. Yougoglencoco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks guys :grin:
    And an induction day is like where you spend a day doing some activities with the people who are going to be in your class and some work about the subject you're studying

8. SunSparks

Ok, so I just want to add about not knowing anyone in your courses...

First of all, like I go to a university with quite a lot of people... so my lecture class sizes range from 18 to ~200... so heres the breakdown

Math - not sure, id say 100+
    Physics ~ 200
    Swim ~20
    Intro to Engineering ~ 20
    Government: LGBT in Europe ~20
    Comp Sci ~40
    Engineering Advising ~20
    Leadership course thing idk because hasn't started yet

...anyways, as you can see, big differences.... I didn't know anyone in any of them either. But in those discussion classes for large classes, you definitely get to know a lot of more people than in lecture classes.... I've met a lot of upperclassmen in my physics class because I'm taking a second year course too... but in your discussion classes and smaller classes, you definitely will get the opportunity to meet a lot of people just like in the dorms (if you're living there)....

you will be working with them in discussion classes so you won't need to go up to them and start a conversation either. Just be open and friendly. I actually already met a gay guy in my same major (in engineering, with that!) and another in computer science major... those are though to come by xD anyways, seriously, you can meet A LOT of people in classes. Even if you don't immediately bond with those at your induction thing, you still have another opportunity!