1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time impressions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pain, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Pain

Pain Guest

Yo :slight_smile:
    So, I just went to a gay club/bar with a fairly large group of six people. It was my first time in such a scene, so I didn't exactly know what to do. Mainly, I just stood with one in the group on the side of the dance floor, because I'm pretty awkward :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Well, I was wondering about something: I feel like if it was a smaller group, like 2-3 people, I wouldn't have been as reliant on the group and would've let a little more loose. Plus, was standing on the side ok? I mean, it was my first time in such a place, and I was just sorta observing. And it was honestly a little awkward, because I'm not single and I couldn't be there with my boyfriend...
    There was also a drag show! The first queen was a mess, but fierce nonetheless :slight_smile:
    Whatcha think?

2. Thewitt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well If you think you would have had more fun with a smaller group then go with a smaller group next time. I dont think it should matter if you are single. if your just there to hangout and have fun.

3. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds pretty similar to my first gay club visit. I spent most of that evening standing against the wall, sipping a drink, and just looking around.
    Which might have looked like I was bored, but it was a pretty enjoyable evening nonetheless. It was just nice seeing there's no shortage of gay people, and I did feel connected to them, even if I didn't really interact with anyone not of my group of friends.

Oddly enough, I have the inverse impression: the smaller the group, the more likely I am to stay close to them. Larger groups make me feel less odd to drift away from them a bit more.

I do think the main point of going out is doing what makes you enjoy the evening, so if observing served that purpose, then you're doing it right!

Any chance you'll get another shot at going, but with a smaller group, and possibly plus your boyfriend?

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Ditto.

The first two times that I went I simply people watched 90% of the time. My friends would tell me to go dance, but I just simply wanted to watch people interact. It might be strange, but its fun to me xD

After getting used to it I do go there with a group of friends and two things happen. Either we all go and dance together or we all in a large group, dissolve into smaller groups and then run into each other every so often.

And like Filip said, as long as you are having fun then you are doing it right :slight_smile:

5. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I must be the only one here who hasn't been to a gay bar.

It might have to do with my anti-social tendencies, but I've never been to one. The fact that straight people have the obnoxious habit of invading gay bars also has me on edge.

I wouldn't feel safe going with straight men there. For all I know they can be pretty upset when they find out I'm not biologically female.

Recently, I moved to the central part of the city, which means I'm there's a gay club nearby, but I probably won't go to it.

Another thing that makes me uncomfortable with going is that I'll dislike the music they're playing as 99% of modern music sucks. It gives me a headache, so forget going.

My university has a vegan group and there are a lot of LGBTQ people there, so that's the closest thing I have to a gay club. What could be better than an LGBTQ vegan? NOTHING.

#5 AtheistWorld, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

You are on EC. Chances are that 70% of the people here haven't been to a gay bar :slight_smile:

7. rockgodgx

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    oh yes the gay bar reminds me of my first time. that's where i met my 3rd bf.... it was like magic like a Disney classic film of Cinderella of course i had a curfew at 12 which was lame.

8. Pain

Pain Guest

I don't know when we'd go next, but I certainly want to. We can't with my boyfriend, sadly, because he's yet under 18 and locked away from doing things by wicked people :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: forreal though. And in Pennsylvania.

It was lucky, being Labor Day weekend :slight_smile: No classes and all.

9. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

I'd totally be out on the floor!! Dancing your ass of is more fun that watching everyone else do it and being awkward, haha- don't you think!?(!)

---------- Post added 4th Sep 2012 at 06:13 PM ----------

And I'm not single either...:wink: That's why you invite your partner to go with you!