1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Irish Travelers/Gypsys?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SriManayaDasan, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Are there any of the above mentioned who live near where you live? There are about 1000 who live about 30 miles from where I live.

Yes, I know the stereotype that they are shifty, thieving and untrustworthy, but surely an ENTIRE group of people of people can't be like that, right?

Has anyone made friends with any? If so, how inherently difficult is that to do?

2. Sayu

Yes, in our country there are a lot of gypsies. In our town there are two districts where they live. Our country has quite big problems with this community as they usually don't work and tend to steal and make problems. But I know they are not all like that and I do have some gypsy friends and they are all descent and nice people :slight_smile:

3. idk if you guys had that programme that was called gypsey weddings.
    urm, i thought (prob am wrong) they werent allowed to have friends who werent gypsys... :s or maybe thats just the marriage rule thing, not allowed to marry an 'outsider' as it were. hmm.

personally i havent had any problems with any. a load of them return every year for a few months to the same place. i havent spoken to any, but they havent done anything to me so i cant say a bad word :slight_smile:

my mum on the other hand hates them when they havent done anything to her, just like she hates the french when shes never been to france :s

4. FJ Cruiser

I haven't encountered any Travelers in the US before, but I've dealt with my fair share of gypsies in Spain before. I hate to say it, but after stopping multiple thefts from happening, and being spat on because my dad wouldn't let them steal our camera, and my 10-year-old cousin (we have a little bit of family living there) being beat up by a pack of gypsy kids while walking home from school, I can't say the cultural bias against them is unwarranted.

Here in the US, they're known for being much less audacious, many even fully integrating.