1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you come out to people at your school besides friends?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sol4r, Sep 5, 2012.

1. sol4r

sol4r Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I know of a lot of people who've been able to come out to teachers, classmates, school officials, and so on and so forth, but personally I have no idea how one would accomplish that, and even though I want to, I'm scared to death of the outcome. Has anyone here done it before? How? What was the result of it?

2. Yes, and by accident. My R.A. from last year and I are pretty good friends, and he has an LGBT sticker on the door of his dorm. He has tendencies that are that like a stereotypical gay person (I surprisingly don't at all). One time recently, he and I were chilling in his dorm, and I brought up the subject if he was gay. He said not at all, but people ask that a lot. Then that stupidly forced me into coming out to him. He said it didn't matter to him one bit though if I was gay or not, haha.

3. andersonh09

andersonh09 Guest

I'm out to pretty much everyone. I've mentioned it in reflective writings for class (when relevant) as well as if the topic comes up during a class discussion in a psych class or something. My school is pretty liberal and so far all my professors and friends have been really supportive.

4. SkyDiver

Bringing up my support for gay rights during class discussions and in projects is the closest thing that I've done to doing that. :slight_smile: But then again, lots of people do that, so I guess it doesn't really count at all.

5. SunSparks

Well... in college... not in highschool like you are probably aiming for...
    anyways, in college, I feel so free! I have my like rainbowy necklace (its not like rainbow rainbow but like a metal piece with small, horizontal stripes of color separated by the brushed metal), I dress like I want to (like sometimes I roll up my pant legs if it goes with my outfit [most ppl see it as a gay thing and assume those who do it are, so I included it]), I'm more than happy to go into my depths of LGBTQ knowledge in the LGBTQ activism in Europe writing class (in class, we just have discussions), etc...

No one has really asked me yet but I've noticed quite a few people assess my sexuality.... no one really cares because I do go to a liberal school... like I've seen quite a few people who cross dress and no one will look twice.... they really don't mind.

6. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Well today I came out to my an aid that is in my homeroom, and I have told my homeroom teacher as well as a few others I trust...I don't know why I did, just happened.

7. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Haha... Oh, yeah. I'll yak at anyone who'll listen. At the very least, I hint at it. "My girlfriend and I..." or "What with me being gay and all..." :roflmao: If I were any more flaming, nobody would want to be near me because it's so obnoxious.

8. colorful

I actually haven't come out to any of my school friends yet.

BUUUUUT

I came out to my principal, counselor, and art teacher.

My principal because I was trying to start some sort of an LGBTQ group. (which apparently I can't unless it is through the counseling department. *rolls eyes*)
    Sometimes I feel a bit awkward around her...mostly because she rejected my idea basically and pretty much said I needed help...

My counselor because I can't go to the LGBTQ group I normally go to so I was liiiike freaking out about some stuff

And my art teacher's son did a documentary about one of the main advisors of my LGBTQ group and then my advisor had dinner at my art teacher's house so I was like "Oh hey, Mrs. art-teacher, I met The one dude that your son did a documentary on his marriage and then he had dinner at your house...yeah" Honestly she probably didn't even get it though...she is a bit flakey. Lol.

9. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never really seen the point in telling random people my sexuality. Unless it were be useful to come out to someone (ie report bullying if someone was) I don't have any reason to say it to others.

On the other hand, mentioning it in passing is fine, like what Awkwardlyhers said. But there's really no need to draw attention to it. I'm marginalized enough as it is, so why would I want to compound that?

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2012 at 09:14 PM ----------

Additionally, coming to out to someone who's in a position of power can be sticky. What if they're a homophobic teacher? Telling them could cause the teacher to grade me unfairly.

I've been through that before, and I reported it to another professor who promptly got the professor suspended as he had been dong it to others too. Evidently he disliked the content of my essays, but my essays were better than my fellow students, making his actions unwarranted.

After that experience, I learned to be careful with sharing information with others.

10. Thewitt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm in college and do not really get close to my teachers so there no reason they should know

11. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I didn't necessarily come out to teachers, they either figured it out or someone else told them. One day a teacher came up to me out of nowhere and said "WHY DID YOU TELL ME" I was so confused, so I said "...tell you what.." and she said "THAT YOU'RE GAY, I WOULD'VE NEVER KNEW" and I said "oh.. okay" Then, the funniest time was when being gay came up into a topic in dance class, because there were a lot of like, fights going on in my school, so our dance teacher thought it would be appropriate to have a girl talk, even though he's a guy teaching all girls, but anyways, he was talking about things and then it lead off into other things, and then someone said "nicole is gay, she was born that way!" and then the dance teacher, he screamed, like, shrieked, and he was like "omg no, no no, no you're not!" He was far too surprised, and I had to say it infront of everyone in that dance class that I was, and he sat there like :astonished: for probably 3 minutes. I never really chose to come out to those teachers, just happened, pretty much how it's been since I've come out to friends, they told other people and those people told other people, then everyone knew. I guess it made it a lot easier for me though.

12. Mad Man L

Teachers don't really have a need to know, but I'm sure several have picked up on it, whether through over hearing conversations or through stating my own views etc.

I'm out to everybody at school (read: if someone asks, I tell). I don't have little rainbow/bi flag thingies because they'd end up confiscated due the school's uniform policy, also hard to hide from parents. It surprises me how many don't know (or remain seemingly ignorant). Most students around here couldn't give a damn really.

13. rockgodgx

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    done and done

14. kem

kem

I have rainbow badge on my backpack (next to art student owl) and I don't hide it in any way. I don't really bring it up though, unless I'm asked about it.

15. aeva

I was out to my friends (as bi) in high school, but am totally out (as gay) in college. Nobody has had a problem with it so far, but I'm at a SUNY school, which is pretty liberal. I've had to explain to a few people why it's not a choice or answer those typical questions that everybody has always wanted to ask a lesbian but never gotten the chance, but they were still accepting.

16. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't hide it, but I don't bring it up. Most people at my school know. I am heavily involved in diversity and LGBT groups on campus.

17. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm out to all the students, but I don't really have the kind of relationship with teachers where it would ever be relevant, so I dunno.

18. Fiddledeedee

My PE teacher, since she taught us a little about being gay, was one of my first comings out.Other than that, don't hide but don't bring it up.

19. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Nope, nor do I 'come out' anymore after coming out to my parents and best friend.
    I just act like I usually do and if someone deducts from my comments that I'm not straight, it's up to them how they want to deal with that.
    I don't feel I should have to stipulate my sexuality to every individual I meet.

*edit. Basically what fiddledeedee said: don't hide but don't bring it up.

20. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Assuming your stories are true, I wish I had that confidence at your age.