1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you go and live on another planet if you could?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicIsLife, Sep 5, 2012.

1. MusicIsLife

And I'm not talking Skaro or Tatooine(sp?) or New(x15) Earth or Gallifrey...I mean in our solar system.

If the technology was available, would you go and live on another planet/moon?

I'd go and live on mars or Europa.

2. Dolphinkid

No, I don't think so, here we have water and sun. To very vital things to me, and I mean water as in the element, not as in drinking. And sun as in constant sunlight

3. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

Nope. The idea of living on another planet is cool, but think about all the risks, even fewer gay people, the limited resources, and no more vacations. I think another country would be good enough for me (especially if Mitt is elected, if Obama is elected, and follows through on his LGBT promises, then I guess I could stay).

4. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Yes, in a heartbeat, as long as either a) I could return to Earth when I pleased or b) I would be part of a larger colony.

Assuming we had the technology to make life reasonably comfortable and safe, I think I would move to Titan, Europa, or another moon orbiting one of the gas giants. Just imagine how spectacular the sky must look! With so little atmosphere, you could always see the stars, except those blocked by the planet, which is a more than fair trade-off, in my opinion.

5. prism

"The conquest of space is worth the risk of life." -Gus Grissom

So, yes. Not for personal reasons (outside of the fact that it'd be awesome), but for scientific reasons. I love the research being done on the possibility of colonizing and terraforming other planets and moons.

I would miss my family and friends, but what an incredible opportunity!

6. MusicIsLife

I'd love to be a space cowboy.

7. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Things look bleak on Earth right now. Pretty soon it won't be hospitable anymore.
    Provided we could grow our own food, and I went with a like-minded colony, sure. One thing you have to realize is that the nearest planet would take about a year to get to.

We're not there yet, so the best thing we should do is prepare astronauts to undertake that mission by having them explore the moon.

Meanwhile, scientists here can develop the appropriate technology for us, with the goal of (hopefully) havig rockets that get to the other planet faster.

Right now going to another planet would be suicide. If we were to have an emergency it would be take the rescue crew far too long to reach us. By then, we'd probably be screwed.

8. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since you've outlawed the possiblility of Naboo, then probably not. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Although, if I had a group of people to go with (like a small team, not a frontier colony of families and stuff) and explore, then I totally would. I wouldn't want to conquer natives and set up a "civilized" colony like they did here on earth with settlers and conquistadors and such - I'd want to adapt to the native way of life with a few close friends.

9. lowdownweather

I'd go to Venus. (jk)

Realistically, somewhere really far out (Neptune) might be nice.

10. Vesper

Yes, of course. My curiosity won't allow me to refuse :slight_smile:. As for where, some Earth-like exoplanet.

11. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well.... We just don't have the technology.

But it would be terribly exciting. The only other planet in our solar system that i would consider living on is Mars. I would consider Titan, Europa, Enceladus, or our own moon, but i don't know if it would be tempting enough.

If magically i could be transported to a habitable planet somewhere else though, i would do it, in a heart beat, right now.

12. needshelp

well, yes. why not. honestly, sometimes, i feel like going away to another planet away from everybody because everybody and everything on earth annoys me or pisses me off. then again, if that planet has the same annoying people on earth then i would probably ask to be sent to a planet that has nobody on it.

13. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard Alderaan is rather nice. Have they reconstructed it yet? (I keep hearing they're working on the Death Star on Facebook, so I figured they might be up to rebuilding planets too?)

And no this solar system is not terribly hospitable. Earth's your best option there.

14. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it's the only habitable one we know of >.<

15. ameliawesome

I don't believe I could abandon earth :frowning2: I might like to visit other planets, but not because I want to get away from this one. I'd really love to explore Saturn, it looks so pretty in pictures.