1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting people of the same orientation.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SheWhoHasNoName, Sep 6, 2012.

1. SheWhoHasNoName

Whenever I meet someone who is gay I feel the need to talk to them. A compare life stories/notes sort of thing. Anyone else feel the same? (&&&)

2. Kat kanu

Completely lol I feel the same way Plus they make the best friends

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

When I first started coming out I had this huge need to talk to as many LGBT people that I could get my hands on. Luckily EC took care of that for the most part so I wouldn't look like a maniac, but I still did it when I got to meet other LGBT people.

Now I usually only ask people who I get closer with. After being here for two years you sort of hear it all haha I still ask a lot of questions to people that I find interesting, though. Best way to learn about the world around us in my opinion :slight_smile:

4. aeva

Totally. When I meet somebody who's gay, I want to make it clear that I am too.

I'm at a new college, and DYING to meet some other LGBTers. There's no GSA though, so I have no idea how!

5. J Snow

I absolutely feel the same way with transgender people.

I remember almost a year ago I was on a bus, and across the isle there was a transgirl. I was still a lot less certain about my trans identity then, and I honestly think it might have been the first time I knew I was seeing a transsexual person in person, in public, just by chance. I just wanted to get up and hug them and talk to them and tell them how awesome I thought what they were doing was.

But of course if I did that all it would have done is indicate that they didn't pass =/

Funny that now I actually know this person and just finished talking to them in person a half an hour ago =P

Anyway, now that my pointless story has concluded, yes I feel that way about other trans people =P

6. Hazel

It was important for awhile to, like you said, compare notes, but as time went on I noticed that I often don't have anything else in common with them. Overall it's a pretty small part of my life.

7. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I have pretty much nothing in common with most LGBT people. I'm a math and science person, which pretty much differentiates me. I know that sounds like profiling, but every other kid whom I've ever known to be gay was a major humanities and theatre lover. So I really can't "compare notes" because I don't share any interests.

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Oh, you are going to be pleasantly surprised when you get to college then. That's for sure :slight_smile:

Edit: Until then, if you want to talk to someone who shares some of those interest in a more private way, I know Filip is working in the field, and Owen is a math major. I think we also have a couple of engineer majors on staff, but I don't remember from the top of my head xD

9. SkyDiver

Well, out of the 4 people in my entire life that I've met who are gay, I did feel the need to tell all of them. :lol:

There needs to be more gay people here. Maybe I'll give someone else the courage to come out around here. :dry:

10. SheWhoHasNoName

I am a lover of the maths and sciences myself. But, I do have an artsy side. I just realized, I have only ever met two other lesbians in person and I met them today.

The lesbians that stand out are the ones who look and act different than the social "norm" for girls. I'm going to assume it's the same with gay men. The ones that everybody notices are the ones that act "gay." Maybe we all just have to look closer.

11. IrishLad93

I wish I could actually be in the situation to meet someone who is gay!

Especially where I live, coming across a gay person seems to be very few and far between. Although I am over generalizing as many gay men are masculine acting like me!

I like sciences! Not the chemistry side to the sciences but planetary and evolutionary sciences. Math is torturous.

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I totally do this!!

I always enjoying hearing other's stories because everybody comes from different backgrounds. I like to hear about how these people came out while keeping their different backgrounds in mind.

This may just be because I like to talk too..

13. mark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I first started coming out, maybe. Probably because I feel like I've just led a very unstructured life until I accepted the fact that I was gay and I just needed another gay boy's company.

But now, not really. I treat gay people the same as their straight counterparts - if I talk to you and there's a connection, I'm down to hang out with on a different day.

14. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Yet to meet someone who I know is bi/pansexual.
    Have met some gay and lesbian people and usually get along quite well, but don't feel the need to bond over being queer.