1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More common than you might think...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tetraquark, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Anyone else have a story about assuming someone/everyone is straight/cis and then having this assumption blown apart? I'm sure I'm not the only who has had something like this happen.

My university's first Quiz Bowl meeting was today. I was feeling down about my lack of social support network, as I usually do about that time of day. Although I had mostly picked myself up out of it by the time I got there, enough of my mood was lingering that I couldn't help sourly thinking that the team was going to be almost entirely straight men, and that of the two or three women in it, I will be the only one who is queer.

I was just finishing that thought when this girl arrives. First thing I notice: alternative lifestyle haircut. I barely had time to remind myself that in all probability she is straight before I saw the rainbow ribbon on her purse. It took me most of the meeting to get up the courage to talk to her, but I did end up walking with her back to the dorms.

2. Kat kanu

oh yeah i didnt know my best friend was bi till me and her lived together and she brought home a girlfriend suprise!!!! lol that was before i need i was lesbian so it was a little strange for me i didnt really care but now im like omg why didnt i see that coming

3. Tycho

Yep. Girl totally didn't set off my gay-dar and probably never would have if she didn't approach me - we ended up dating for a bit. Honestly there was NO sign until she subetly told me she was into girls via a message.

4. Peanuts

Absolutely. There's a girl I know in our circle who's gay, and I had no idea. She didn't ping at all and I've seen her weekly for the past year or so. It was pretty shocking, to say the least, considering how I thought I was the only one. It makes me wonder how many more LGBTQ people are near me.

5. Ianthe

I'm usually the one who surprises people. I tend not to assume.

I was really surprised when a very close friend of mine sort of dropped it into conversation about her ex-girlfriend. But I was less surprised that she would date girls than that she had. I had known her since we were 15, and we were getting near 30. And when she had the relationship with the woman she dated, she was still dating her boyfriend the whole time.

So that was kind of surprising.