1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to homophobic people.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SkyDiver, Sep 6, 2012.

?

Have you ever came out to a homophobe (and did any of them change their minds?)

1. Yes. All of them have changed their minds.

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Yes. Most of them have changed their minds.

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Yes. A few of them have changed their minds.

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Yes, but none of them changed their minds.

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. I've never came out to a homophobe.

19 vote(s)
    54.3%
  1. SkyDiver

Just another one of my random curiosities. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I only come out to homophobic people who I am reasonably sure I can stab with my five inch dagger.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've come out to one so far. He was totally against LGBT people. Now he just says that he "loves the sinner hates the sin". That's a pretty big step for him. Before, he fold me that if anybody came out he would never talk to them again.

4. DoriaN

LOL

I like you.

5. Aeon Magus

Voted: Yes. A few of them have changed their minds.

6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, my good mate openly said he was intimidated by "gay people". I'm not gay, but i told him about myself anyway after i thought he had seen my orientation on a dating site profile. It turns out he had seen me but had totally missed my listed orientation. In the end i came out to him in person, and his attitude has been great. He said he was completely surprised and taken aback and has had his eyes opened because of it. I'm very glad of that, but i think it was sort of going to happen with time anyway. He is not a hater at all, it was only a matter of time before someone in his life changed his mind.

I wish more people were like that!

My brother in law is the next step. He's a gun-toting, hard-right kinda guy who's every other word (sometimes) is "poofter" (an australianism for "faggot", but not quite as harsh). We get along well enough, it will be interesting to see what happens

7. IrishLad93

I grew up in a house where my Dad and brothers regularly used words like "faggot", "poofter", and "fudge-packer".

Being in this homophobic environment made it really difficult for me to accept myself. It was only when my mom left my dad, and I left with her, that I was able to accept myself for who I was. I haven't even really considered telling my dad. Personally i think its none of his business.

People that hold onto these homophobic views are usually just miserable and have no confidence in themselves therefore they have to dish out the hate to make themselves feel somewhat better or worthier.

In my opinion, people who are threatened by homoeroticism have doubts about themselves that they are ashamed of or threatened by. Of course there are those that are raised in this environment and adapt these views but we all reach a stage of individuality and individual thinking so there is no excuse not to step away from these and change our viewpoints for the better.

8. itsjoanna

One of the few people I came out to was actually a homophobe (or ignorant?). Her words "i'm still your friend and everything, but I just don't like your lifestyle and don't think you should get married" .. i just looked at her. I never really talked to her since lol.

9. Rarar

Yes, two of my friends were homophobes, one a girl and one a guy. The girl said she 'can't wait' for me to be her 'gay best friend', but she's not over her homophobia. However, she claims that she will 'try her hardest' to do so. The male one said he's fine with me being gay 'cause I'm 'cool'.

10. Ridiculous

No homophobes... everyone has been relatively indifferent.

I actually don't think I have even met someone who was outwardly homophobic, excluding the silly teenager "that's gay" kind of people.

11. Linthras

Linthras Guest

AFAIK never.

12. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've come out to a few homophobes. You all seem to have had better luck than me though. So far I haven't been able to change anyone's mind.

Despite that, I can get along with these people just fine. One thing I won't do is discussing LGBTQ rights with these people because that can get both sides miffed right away.

13. J Snow

My parents. But they still hate everybody who isn't a cisgender, heterosexual, conservative, Catholic.

14. aeva

I've only ever come out to one homophobe that I knew had such views before I actually told them. I wasn't able to change her mind, but I think I did manage to talk some sense into the minds of those I was previously unaware were not accepting.

15. Phantosmiac

I have only come out to one homophobic person... He is still my friend, though he doesn't agree with it.