1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having children with your partner?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by julia, Sep 7, 2012.

1. julia

Inspired by the "do you want kids" poll. Would your change your opinion on having kids if your partner was extremely against it/extremely for it? Let's say you never talked about the topic until now or your partner changed their mind. Also, for the sake of the argument, you're deeply in love with this person and can't see yourself with anyone else. Would it be a deal breaker or would you try and change your opinion on children?

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I don't have a strong opinion either way, I probably would. I wouldn't mind having kids, I also wouldn't mind not having them.

3. Mercy

Mercy Guest

id love to have a child with my partner weather a foster child or through adoption

4. PurpleCrab

It would have been a deal breaker if my other half didn't want kids at all. There are just some things in life I won't compromise on, and I'm glad I didn't :thewave:

I'm a dad and soon to be again a second time!!!

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If my hypothetical partner was extremely for it and we had the finances to do it comfortably, he/maybe she could probably convince me to adopt young children (say, the 3-6 range). I could not do the newborn thing.

6. SunSparks

Ouch. That really hurts. If that was to happen, I am pretty sure I can convince him to agree. We can compromise, instead of the 6 I want, we can have 4... yep, that works! Iff there was absolutely no way, I'll probably die.

7. Pinstripe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't want kids, but I could probably be convinced if we had the money to do so and my partner was ok with adopting. I don't think there's anything that could convince me to carry a child biologically.

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

This is why you should ALWAYS ask who you are dating whether they want kids in the future or not xD

I'm personally okay with either option, but I am very against any procedure to get pregnant. I really don't like it, and I did let my boyfriend know about it. If he wants kids then we are adopting :slight_smile:

9. Night Rain

I'm fine either way, and I actually prefer to do whatever my partner wants. :grin:

10. DoriaN

I kinda have internal struggles with this as a genderqueer...

On a different note as much as I dearly want kids, I'm not sure I would want to bring them into this world...

11. castle walls

Why are you against procedures to get pregnant? I'm just curious.

I completely agree that you need to ask the person you're dating if they want kids/want to get married or not. If you both have strong dissimilar opinions, it will make it really hard for the relationship to work. If, for whatever reason, I found out that the person I love is extremely against having children, I'd probably leave. I've always wanted to have kids. I don't think I can give that dream up.

Also, I believe that we would both be able to find other compatible people. I believe that there is one person on this planet that you are the most compatible with but I believe that you can have a life long relationship with someone that is not that one person. That is my view on "the one"

12. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Its mainly because I see it as a waste of resources. To me, and this is a personal opinion to govern my life and no one else's, you can either spend thousands of dollars in creating a new life or you can spend the same amount of money in helping a kid who is already alive and needs a safe place to grow up.

Honestly, I would prefer to be a foster parent rather than adopt, but its not something that I'm extreme about so I can compromise, and that's where adoption comes in :slight_smile:

And I totally agree with your philosophy about the one. The whole concept that there is just one person out there for you is crazy, and scarier than romantic xD

13. needshelp

maybe... i'm 50/50 on it.

14. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he didn't want to then I wouldn't let it become a big deal. I might like kids one day but it's not something that I absolutely have to do to make my life complete.

15. Bree

Absolute deal-breaker for me. If my partner doesn't want kids, I'll help them pack.

16. Ianthe

I would like to have children, but only if my partner also wants children, and only if we can afford to give them a reasonably good life. Otherwise, I'll volunteer with youth to fulfill that part of my life.

I would probably lean towards adoption, depending on how difficult the process is.

17. mark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd love to have kids. But, I have to be serious - I'm too materialistic and too selfish to be responsible for anyone but myself.

If I were to have a kid with my partner, I need to grow up first and be sure that we can take care of this kid financially, mentally, and physically.

18. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never wanted kids and still don't, but this would not be something worth losing my partner over. I already feel like I would never find someone to be with, so if by some miracle, I do, and she wants a kid, then okay. She would probably have to be the more loving, nurturing parent to balance out my disciplinarian style. I'd be that no-bullshit parent haha. So despite my finding kids very annoying, I can compromise if that's what my supposed future partner wants.

The one deal-breaker for me would be if my partner didn't like dogs! Haha. I am so looking forward to finally getting a dog when I move out, and that dog is gonna be my baby. My partner would have to love that puppy like I do :lol:

19. King

King Guest

This is an extremely tough subject that I had trouble discussing with one of my co-workers on more than one occasion. Nobody I work with knows for definite sure that I'm gay, but I often talk about how much I want biological kids but that it "isn't that easy".
    Anyways, this co-worker was telling me that she met a guy and they got along well, but he didn't want kids, so she decided not to keep going out with him. She told me that she'd be okay adopting a kid by herself if she couldn't find a guy who wanted kids.

I'm totally for kids. I want nothing more in the entire world than to have my own children, to raise and love and all that jazz. But at the same time, I've considered not having kids - and the idea really fucking sucks, but if I found someone I got along well enough with that didn't want kids, I might give up my dreams of being a father.
    It'd hurt, but if the guy was worth it... I don't know. Some people might see that and think "Then you don't want kids that badly" but I can't raise kids by myself. If I meet someone who's dead set against kids, but we fall in love, I might reconsider.

Wheeew that'd be a hard part of my life. That and my parents are against me having kids apparently.

20. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I do want kids at the moment, but sometimes I don't, but I guess I will reconsider if my partner doesn't want any. But I would still have the thought of having a child.