1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you deal with being gay in a close-minded place?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by L Drigo, Sep 7, 2012.

1. L Drigo

Hey everyone, it's lovely to be part of such an awesome online community. I thought for my first post I'd tell you a bit about myself and an issue I've been having.

I'm 16 years of age, and I live in Australia. I'm out to my brother, and my best friend (a guy) and a few of my other friends. My parents are really homophobic so I won't be coming out to them any time soon. I'm a fairly quiet person but I open up a lot once you get to know me. My interests include learning the keyboard and the Japanese language, studying film and playing video games.

I live in a country town, and I've recently started coming out to my friends. The problem is, I really want a gay friend I can hang out with and be myself with, because as much as I love my straight friends, who accept me for being gay, I just don't act like myself around them.

Around where I live, you get beaten up and tormented if you're gay, lesbian, bi, or different in anyway. Not exactly a tolerant place. Naturally, there's not many out gay guys around. I've made a few friends online but it's not really the same as being with them physically.

One of my online friends is from USA and basically everyone he knows is out and gay. He parties every weekend and has a boyfriend. While that's great for him, I'm kind of jealous, which makes me feel kind of shallow. I've been a quiet person all my life, mainly cause I was self-conscious about being gay, so I'm not really outgoing or anything.

I was just wondering if there's anyone else in a similar situation and how they deal with it? I could really use some help, cause I get pretty lonely some times. I'm currently in college, and I plan on going to university and then moving to the city, where people are a lot more tolerant and I can be myself. But that's in like, 5 years time, and I don't think I can wait that long.

Thanks for any help in advance,
    L.

2. th3wallflow3r

I'm afraid I wont be of much help here but I can at least share my story with you?

I'm from England for a start and I moved Just over a year ago to where I live now.

where I used to live was similar to what you described, one gay kid was beaten almost into a coma and left for dead and the other openly gay kid was constantly bullied.
    because of those reasons I went into a huge state of denial and I hid.
    I know that was in hindsight an awful thing to do but that was my reaction.
    I was so terrified of non acceptance that I hid Who I am and cut myself off from others.

the cosplay community which I belong to helped me accept myself and eventually led me to come out to three close friends from back home, after I had moved though.

I do wish you luck, I think its a good start joining a community like this.
    I really hope you don't make the same misakes I did, for your sanity.